Hello!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hello!

Hi, I stumbled across this forum while looking for dog friendly camps that are not busy. Found some great suggestions btw. We have quit our jobs, bought a camper trailer and embarking on a 12 month adventure with our two rescues. Our challenge - One is leash aggressive, the other screams with excitement when we see other dogs. I feel better after reading other posts that others have similar issues. I'd be appreciated of any tips for travelling and camping with dogs. Cheers!

Wow, welcome to the forum

I wish I could quit my job and travel Australia, how wonderful that would be!!

I have a dog reactive dog but have not taken him camping so I'm not sure on that one, hopefully some others will have some ideas for you

Would love to see some photos of your gorgeous pups!

Comment

I travel with my dog quite a bit. I pay attention to where the local football ovals are in the small country towns (and I pick up after - tho the locals don't always).

And most caravan parks these days - if you have your own caravan / tent - they will allow you to bring the dog on lead. If the dog is really annoying (barks continuously all night) they might not want you to stay but they do assess the dog in its merits.

I like cabins and Balranald Caravan Park - and Highlander Village (Armidale - has a paddock full of deer next to it so erm...) have always been good. Armidale has another caravan park on the East side (road to Sydney?) that actually hosts dog shows and ends up full of dogs and their people so I imagine they're dog friendly too.

These days I just phone ahead where I want to stay and ask.

I have a crate if I need to put my dog somewhere and don't have a cabin or she's not allowed in side. Dog loves being in the crate. And she knows she doesn't get out of it when she's barking - so she's pretty quiet.
      sigpic

Comment

Hi it sounds like fun, keep us posted as you travel. It is useful for others.

Comment

Hello!

The joy of caravans is...can also visit most normal parks and sleep there as long as the access is caravan friendly! Most camp sites I find have rules for dogs on lead...but i also find most people don't follow those rules

If you are staying in a free camp ground, I always check for back up ones nearby, so I might pick about 3 or 4 potential campsites on the same stretch of road. That's so if I roll up to one and there's already people with dogs there (or just too many people!) I move on to my next one. Usually most campers cram themselves into the top rated ones, so if there's a lower rated one nearby that's usually pretty empty.

Personally I travel with a Beware of the Dog sign, I don't fancy anyone coming up to say hi and getting a thistle-surprise. a "dogs on site" type sign works just as well I'd expect.

I literally have a camping with dogs book. I haven't looked at it much (kind of forgot it was there and generally just wing it since state forest is dog friendly, so by default everywhere we camp is okay) - I can check out specific locations in it if there is anywhere you would like to go?

Side note, i actually use "best dog friendly camping site" type lists as a way to avoid other owners. Like a list of "well everybody is going to go here so i'm going to go to the place up the road from it".

Always have some spare leads in your caravan. some people just don't think and don't bring one, so might be dismayed at finding you at a campsite because they didn't bring a lead. if they're still planning to pitch a tent you can explain your dog isn't alright with other dogs and offer to lend them a lead

Comment

WoW ! I am just so jealous that you are going to do this !

Heaps of good info on the internet regarding this sort of adventure your family is planning to go on:

https://www.google.com.au/webhp?sour...U&cr=countryAU

I would suggest you crate train your pups before you go – it will make life so much easier for you.

Something else I would suggest, that will help you is get this from Bunnings –

https://www.bunnings.com.au/reln-gar...-cage_p3160046

It is very easy to set up a yard around your camper trailer so your pups don’t need to be on lead all of the time !

Comment

Something else I would suggest, that will help you is get this from Bunnings –

https://www.bunnings.com.au/reln-gar...-cage_p3160046

It is very easy to set up a yard around your camper trailer so your pups don’t need to be on lead all of the time !
              As if my dog would stay in that... sigh. But it would be useful for setting a boundary for other people to keep their distance from her crate. She really doesn't like people or dogs leaning on it.
              sigpic

Comment

Thanks so much for some great tips - I would not have thought about the sign and spare lead idea! We are hoping to mainly camp in state forests and free camping away from the big parks and potentially many dogs. I think that its something we will come to get used to and deal with as the time comes but right now its my biggest stressor!

Comment

I have found when camping in the Flinders and across the SA deserts - the best camp sites are the ones with no name on the map and no obvious source of water...

Nobody camps there. Plenty of firewood. Few flies or mozzies (they need water).

You stop and fill up your washing water where there is some... but don't camp there.

The idea of camping in state forests scares me quite a bit but I guess if there is a group of you should be ok (I've done that). I'd not be letting my dog go forarging tho - cos of snakes. According to one of my Canberra friends - there is no snake free season now. And it gets cold there.
                  sigpic

Comment

I have found when camping in the Flinders and across the SA deserts - the best camp sites are the ones with no name on the map and no obvious source of water...

Nobody camps there. Plenty of firewood. Few flies or mozzies (they need water).

You stop and fill up your washing water where there is some... but don't camp there.

The idea of camping in state forests scares me quite a bit but I guess if there is a group of you should be ok (I've done that). I'd not be letting my dog go forarging tho - cos of snakes. According to one of my Canberra friends - there is no snake free season now. And it gets cold there.
                    sigpic

Comment

Welcome! I hope you have fun!

Comment

Working...
                      X