Mindy on our way home from the breeder

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mindy on our way home from the breeder

Picking up Mindy.jpg Driving home after picking up Mindy (runt of the litter) she is nearly 10 weeks old here, she was so small with big ears, covered in red dust and un-wormed.

so cute!! those ears are huge

Comment

Originally posted by ThistleTheDog View Post
      so cute!! those ears are huge
      She sat like that for the full 2 hr drive, wouldn't drink, and I couldn't let her out for a toilet break, as the collar I had was way too big her. Friends thought she was a chihuahua but confused with the ears, looked like antennas. They suit her now LOL.

Comment

Aww... brings me back to 13 years ago when I was a kid, my Dad and I went to pick up our Kelpie, Dodge. She was tiny, runt of the litter and unwanted by the breeder (farmer) because he thought her colour meant she was sickly (which is nonsense)... he offered her to us for free but we insisted she's worth at least $50.

Her ears were MASSIVE and she had striking blue eyes.... her eyes changed to amber with time and she eventually grew into her ears. Unfortunately I have no photos of her as a puppy

Comment

What a cutie ! Those ears !

Being the runt of the litter should not cause her any problems. If anything she would/could be sassier and more tenacious - because she had to deal with the larger pups in the litter for her portion of food. She should develop just fine and catch up in size quite quickly.
          Last edited by RileyJ; 01-04-2018, 12:18 PM.

Comment

Thats Dodge in the pic, she looks awesome. Mindy is from a sheep farm, he didn't drop the price though, but I made up my mind and have no regrets.

Comment

Personality plus Riley, she is a very happy pup, I care for an invalid uncle and she is so gentle around him, slept on his bed beside him until Heidi came home, now she halves it, sleeps beside Heidi half the night, but if she hears my Uncles walking frame, she runs strait to him and stays with him until he goes back to bed.

Comment

Originally posted by Jill View Post
                Thats Dodge in the pic, she looks awesome. Mindy is from a sheep farm, he didn't drop the price though, but I made up my mind and have no regrets.
                Thanks, I agree, Dodge is pretty awesome She's 13 now and has pretty bad arthritis and is starting to go deaf but otherwise is still chugging along well! She still does her daily rounds of the property, rounds up the cattle and ducks, runs along next to my dad on his motorbike... Kelpies don't really ever slow down, haha! She's a very special member of the family

This is her last winter just before her 13th birthday.

Screen Shot 2018-04-01 at 10.03.48 AM.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by maddogdodge View Post
                  Thanks, I agree, Dodge is pretty awesome She's 13 now and has pretty bad arthritis and is starting to go deaf but otherwise is still chugging along well! She still does her daily rounds of the property, rounds up the cattle and ducks, runs along next to my dad on his motorbike... Kelpies don't really ever slow down, haha! She's a very special member of the family

This is her last winter just before her 13th birthday.

https://draxe.com/kefir-benefits/
                  http://www.naturallivingideas.com/hemp-seed-oil/

Comment

Thanks RileyJ I think the fact she has kept active into her old age has really helped her stay fit and well!

She already gets a little frozen block of milk kefir every day (as do Koda and Finn, and I have it in smoothies for breakfast every few days)

She also gets a Green Lipped Muscle supplement every day which really helps her arthritis! She gets the occasional tinned sardine but I'm not too fond of the high salt content in them. I want to find a source of frozen sardines for the dogs (and even the ferrets and cats wouldn't mind the occasional bit of fish!)

I'll look into the Hemp seed oil too, thanks!

Comment

She looks amazing and happy for 13.

Comment

Didn't know you could give them kefir, I buy it regularly from the market, I have seen the kits in the health food store but have never tried to make it myself. I get the goat Kefir in large bottles made by blue bay cheese, it's nice and fresh. I'll try it out on the dogs.

Comment

Working...
                        X