Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mindy having a lazy moment with a bottle brush branch

IMG_0235.jpg

A moment of stillness to get a pic. She loves tree branches, keeps her busy for hours.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Jill; 24-12-2017, 08:42 AM.

She is very cute!

But just be aware that sticks and branches can kill! My dog once had a stick penetrate through the top of her mouth needing surgery. I have also had a friend whose dog chewed up a branch and ended up dying when the pieces of the stick perforated his bowel and they couldn't save him. It is something I will not let my dogs do!

Comment

Gorgeous pic!

I let my dogs chew sticks with supervision and usually only flimsy thin ones. My Poodle loves to crunch up sticks while I'm holding them, he's uninterested in them if I'm not holding them, weird dog, haha!

Comment

Originally posted by maddogdodge View Post
        Gorgeous pic!

I let my dogs chew sticks with supervision and usually only flimsy thin ones. My Poodle loves to crunch up sticks while I'm holding them, he's uninterested in them if I'm not holding them, weird dog, haha!
        I didn't used to worry too much until my friends dog died, it was horrific. More recently a dog on one of the dog Facebook groups I belong to also died from an impacted stick in his gut and we had quite a discussion on sticks!
        Last edited by Kalacreek; 24-12-2017, 02:59 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Kalacreek View Post
          I didn't used to worry too much until my friends dog died, it was horrific. More recently a dog on one of the dog Facebook groups I belong to also died from an impacted stick in his gut and we had quite a discussion on sticks!
          There is a risk to everything now days it seems. I still get nervous giving my dogs their weekly bone.

Comment

Thanks Kalacreek, I haven't heard of this. I presumed the ones similar to the one in the pic, would be safe for her. Perfrorating organs would be very scary.

Comment

what a cutie!

Comment

There is a risk to everything now days it seems. I still get nervous giving my dogs their weekly bone.
                I worry less about bones as long as they are not cooked than sticks. The guts of most dogs are probably more attuned to softening bone than sticks. I just figure that keeping my dogs off sticks which is easy to do is one less thing to worry about. I live a very long way from a vet and have already had one dog die when he suddenly became ill and he didn't survive the very long trip in to an emergency vet. I have just heard too many stick stories as well as having had one perforate my dogs mouth.

Comment

I worry less about bones as long as they are not cooked than sticks. The guts of most dogs are probably more attuned to softening bone than sticks. I just figure that keeping my dogs off sticks which is easy to do is one less thing to worry about. I live a very long way from a vet and have already had one dog die when he suddenly became ill and he didn't survive the very long trip in to an emergency vet. I have just heard too many stick stories as well as having had one perforate my dogs mouth.
                  Fair enough. My worry with bones is more my boys deciding to attempt swallowing whole and choking. I keep a close eye on them with bones, they're always really good and crunch it all up before attempting to swallow but I've heard of dogs who are usually good who randomly one day try swallowing whole for some reason.

Comment

Fair enough. My worry with bones is more my boys deciding to attempt swallowing whole and choking. I keep a close eye on them with bones, they're always really good and crunch it all up before attempting to swallow but I've heard of dogs who are usually good who randomly one day try swallowing whole for some reason.
                    I also feed bones once a week but I think one has to be very selective about the bones one feeds. There are some types that I wont feed. Some dogs are also better with bones than others

Comment

https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/ne...3994b5406f5f1f

Comment

I also feed bones once a week but I think one has to be very selective about the bones one feeds. There are some types that I wont feed. Some dogs are also better with bones than others
                        Yep I stick with brisket bones, roo tails, lamb necks and turkey necks. No weight baring bones and no turkey drumsticks... learnt the hard way that turkey drumsticks shatter into insanely sharp splinters!! Never feeding them again!

Comment

Yep I stick with brisket bones, roo tails, lamb necks and turkey necks. No weight baring bones and no turkey drumsticks... learnt the hard way that turkey drumsticks shatter into insanely sharp splinters!! Never feeding them again!
                          Yes I do mainly roo tails, but I often give them just the heads of beef weight bearing bones, not the shaft. The heads are covered in cartilage and are a honeycomb bone which really cleans the teeth and is not overly hard. Also big enough not to swallow. Even though I farm sheep I never give my dogs the weight bearing bones of sheep as they can easily shatter and splinter them, the shaft once broken can also become jammed like a cap over their teeth. I have found that bull penis is quite a good natural chew as well, quite thick and takes a while to get through. Beef neck bones as well.

Comment

Yes I do mainly roo tails, but I often give them just the heads of beef weight bearing bones sliced in half, not the shaft. The heads are covered in cartilage and are a honeycomb bone which really cleans the teeth and is not overly hard. Also big enough not to swallow. Even though I farm sheep I never give my dogs the weight bearing bones of sheep as they can easily shatter and splinter them, the shaft once broken can also become jammed like a cap over their teeth. I have found that bull pizzle is quite a good natural chew as well, quite thick and takes a while to get through. Beef neck bones as well.

Comment

Working...
                            X