Bring on spring!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bring on spring!

Spring finally seems to have hit Melbourne... Making my daily walk with the doggos much more enjoyable

(on leash only because of high risk of snakes and we have free ranging ducks that Finn would like to eat)

No thanks where I am! hot, dry, grass seeds and very snakey! No more roaming the green paddocks. I tragically lost one of best my dogs about a month ago after a very short spell of warm weather after a walk on the paddocks, he died on the way to the vets and the thought is that it was a snakebite although we are not 100% sure. He always avoids snakes but could have trodden on one. Very traumatic. So all my dogs are in lock down now and it is very hard to find safe ways to exercise them
    Last edited by Kalacreek; 03-10-2017, 11:41 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Kalacreek View Post
      No thanks where I am! hot, dry, grass seeds and very snakey! No more roaming the green paddocks. I tragically lost one of best my dogs about a month ago after a very short spell of warm weather after a walk on the paddocks, he died on the way to the vets and the thought is that it was a snakebite although we are not 100% sure. He always avoids snakes but could have trodden on one. Very traumatic. So all my dogs are in lock down now and it is very hard to find safe ways to exercise them
      So sorry to hear that!

I imagine things wouldn't be as bad in my area but we do get a lot of tiger snakes here but they stick to long grass and hiding under things, so we are pretty safe walking through short grassed paddocks. But again, that's why I keep them on lead at this time of year. We get grass seeds too... I remember last summer I took Koda over to the grooming room to trim the hair from his feet in preparation for summer and I found 12 grass seeds in his toes!! I now check feet for grass seeds daily in summer.

Winter is awful here.... Rain, rain and more rain... which makes mud and LOTS of it. For a while during this winter I had to put my work shoes through the washing machine every night just because they got so covered in mud walking through my backyard to get in and out to work/home. And an average of 10 degrees during the day and down to 0 or lower at night... it's just miserable spending time outside. The dogs hate the mud and rain too.

Comment

It is all about perspective! Where I live we always live in hope of rain! We have been in really bad drought here and most people including myself have been feeding sheep throughout winter. We had some rain in August which finally greened up the landscape and a bit more recently but that is it! No mud this year! I was marking the last of my lambs on the weekend and I pulled grass seeds out of a couple of eyes. I guess winter out here is a beautiful time of year! just wish it had rained more! Pity we cant spread the rain out more evenly!

Comment

Originally posted by Kalacreek View Post
          It is all about perspective! Where I live we always live in hope of rain! We have been in really bad drought here and most people including myself have been feeding sheep throughout winter. We had some rain in August which finally greened up the landscape and a bit more recently but that is it! No mud this year! I was marking the last of my lambs on the weekend and I pulled grass seeds out of a couple of eyes. I guess winter out here is a beautiful time of year! just wish it had rained more! Pity we cant spread the rain out more evenly!
          Grass seeds and sheep, now that is something that I never thought of! That would be a nightmare! Another reason we will never have sheep, haha, we have beef cattle.

Rains all year in my area... and it stays green all year too. It is a shame the rain isn't more evenly spread! I could do with a little less, you could do with a lot more!

Comment

Green all year would be bliss! This year it is green for about 3 months and brown for the other 9!

Comment

This is how we spend Spring....... Two weeks into and back to Water Training..........FUN........... At lake Hume

Urshie September.jpgFun.jpg
              sigpicPets are forever

Comment

Spring for us

This is how we spend Spring, Summer and Autumn....... Two weeks into and back to Water Training..........FUN........... At lake Hume

Urshie September.jpgFun.jpg
                sigpicPets are forever

Comment

Looks awesome Newfsie! My boys aren't that into water, haha! Koda hates water, Finn tolerates it but won't go out of his way to go swimming.

Comment

But poodles are a water dog.... we have one doing water rescue work with us
                    sigpicPets are forever

Comment

Originally posted by newfsie View Post
                      But poodles are a water dog.... we have one doing water rescue work with us
                      I know right! He should love water being a Poodle!

Perhaps if I found the right swimming spot, he'd be more keen. I don't live close to any good swimming areas so the only chance he's had for swimming is two times at the beach... he doesn't like the waves much. He will go in with encouragement but prefers to hang on the sand.

I think he'd have more fun at a calm/shallow lake.

Comment

Just like Lake Hume
                        sigpicPets are forever

Comment

Originally posted by newfsie View Post
                          Just like Lake Hume
                          Yes, haha

Comment

Working...
                          X