The chicken chasers + Finn's surgery

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The chicken chasers + Finn's surgery

One of my silly chooks decided to jump the fence in with the dogs!! BAD DECISION!!

She survived with no injuries amazingly... she is however missing half her feathers...

Finn had a great time chicken chasing... Check out that smile as he's surrounded by feathers on the ground

16387862_1524957580857011_1229052590341118504_n (1).jpg

Unlucky for him, he's under the knife right as I type this losing his manhood and having a gastropexy! No more running around for him for a while!!

Lucky chook only losing feathers !

Poor Finn losing his 'jingle jangles' ! He will be a bit sore and sorry for himself for a while. Hope the operation goes well for him.

Interesting that you got a gastropexy done. Who suggested that for Finn ?

Looks like he will have to spend some time with you at work for his after op care.

Comment

Originally posted by RileyJ View Post
      Poor Finn losing his 'jingle jangles' ! He will be a bit sore and sorry for himself for a while. Hope the operation goes well for him.

Interesting that you got a gastropexy done. Who suggested that for Finn ?

Looks like he will have to spend some time with you at work for his after op care.
      He's feeling VERY sorry for himself! Surgery went really well though

Many people recommended getting a gastropexy done for him. I had decided I'd do that before I even got him. Std Poodles are very prone to bloat due to their deep chest. Most poodle people I spoke to recommended getting it done. The dogs in Finn's pedigree don't have a history of bloat but his breeder still recommended that I get it done because it's much easier than actually having to go through bloat.

There's also the fact that he practically inhales any food he can!! All kibble is fed in a Kong wobbler and all raw is fed in a slow feeder bowl (doesn't slow him down much though!).

Yes he will be coming to work with me for the next 10 days to stop him from being too active. I've been instructed he's only allowed to have 10 minutes of on lead walking per day for the next 10 days... This is gonna be mighty difficult!!

He's still all doped up for now... fast asleep

On the ride home... Very sad! I got a tail wag when he first saw me, then the tail dropped straight back down
      16469114_1526749590677810_1149075175_n.jpg

He's got a huge area of shaved hair... Sigh groomer problems, haha :P
      16467105_1526763917343044_1886557111_n.jpg

The gastropexy site, nice and neat
      16426599_1526749684011134_1623820662_n.jpg
      Last edited by maddogdodge; 02-02-2017, 06:43 PM.

Comment

Soooo doped up

16441399_1526812257338210_1001473009_n.jpg

Comment

Poor little pup ! That was a big operation he had. Loved his dopey photos.

How is Finn today ? I bet he slept well last night.

Comment

Poor little pup ! That was a big operation he had. Loved his dopey photos.

How is Finn today ? I bet he slept well last night.
            He's doing great, recovered really well! He slept hard last night, haha!

Vet had a look at his surgery site while I had him at work with me and is very happy with it

Hard part now is keeping him quiet for the next 10 days, he's feeling better and clearly thinks he's ready to run and jump like the crazy poodle he is! There's no way that's happening though. Lots of quiet non physical training and games + kongs and such for the next 10 days!

My work mates took a photo during surgery of his stomach attached to the abdominal wall, I'd share it here but it's a bit gory and I feel like a lot of you wouldn't appreciate that, haha I find it fascinating though!

Comment

How is Finn going ?

Comment

How is Finn going ?
                He's going well, wound is healing up great He's absolutely desperate to do some zoomies but I keep telling him he has to wait a few more days

He's also totally grotty and the moment, in desperate need of a bath! He's getting a bath on wednesday and then a new haircut on thursday

He's had some trouble with his eyes lately being runny/gunky. So his eyes are looking a little gross at the moment cause he's got eye drops twice a day for a week.

16521660_1535147389838030_1210528443_n.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by maddogdodge View Post
                  My work mates took a photo during surgery of his stomach attached to the abdominal wall, I'd share it here but it's a bit gory and I feel like a lot of you wouldn't appreciate that, haha I find it fascinating though!
                  I would like to see the photo - Please ! If people don't want to look at the photo - they don't have to ! I also find this sort of thing fascinating.

GSPs can suffer from bloat because they are deep chested. I have always been very careful with all my pups over the years - so have not looked at this type of operation for any of my pups.

Comment

Originally posted by maddogdodge
                    He's going well, wound is healing up great He's had some trouble with his eyes lately being runny/gunky. So his eyes are looking a little gross at the moment cause he's got eye drops twice a day for a week.
                    Really pleased to hear that he is doing well ! Not many sleeps now until he can use up some of his stored up energy. Though don't let him overdo things. His energy levels will not be the same - so ease him in quietly.
                    LOL - The first thing you are going to let him do next week - when he is free - Is have a bath ? Good grief - Boys don't do baths ! They have more important things to do !

Sorry to hear about his eyes. Any operation will affect a pup's immune system. Good food and probiotics/yoghurt will sort him out !
                    Looking forward to seeing photos of his 'Bath' !

Comment

Really pleased to hear that he is doing well ! Not many sleeps now until he can use up some of his stored up energy. Though don't let him overdo things. His energy levels will not be the same - so ease him in quietly.
                      LOL - The first thing you are going to let him do next week - when he is free - Is have a bath ? Good grief - Boys don't do baths ! They have more important things to do !

Sorry to hear about his eyes. Any operation will affect a pup's immune system. Good food and probiotics/yoghurt will sort him out !
                      Looking forward to seeing photos of his 'Bath' !
                      The eye thing has been going on for a while now, since December. It started as just runny eyes, vet checked tear production which came up as normal, I think he was thinking it was some kind of infection so gave me some eye ointment which kind of helped but then he developed serious gunky eyes after that. Vet checked his eyes again while he was under and found he had blocked tear ducts, so he flushed those while he was under and now finn's got runny eyes again.

Interesting you mention yoghurt though because he was getting yoghurt every 2nd day until a month or two before his eyes started playing up when I stopped giving it while I was trying to figure out what was causing his soft poos. I'll start him on the yoghurt again and see if/what changes!

Well a bath won't be the first thing :P But there's no way he's going much longer without one, haha!

Here's that gory pic for you You can see where they've stitched his stomach to the abdominal wall. The other groomer I work with watched some of the surgery and was saying she couldn't believe how much empty space there is inside him! I just told her that's exactly why I had this surgery done on him.

16683205_1535576679795101_1528193686_n.jpg

And an updated photo of his surgery site, looking a little bit red but overall doing great!

16650279_1535580386461397_1535913414_n.jpg
                      Last edited by maddogdodge; 09-02-2017, 09:07 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X