Please help..Will they fight?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Please help..Will they fight?

My current pomeranianxjack Russell is 7 years old and a sweet old girl, she sleeps a lot but can get a bit nippy if she is touched in her teeth as they are decayed and hurt my girl. We’re considering getting another dog, a girl pug (purebreed). I hear pugs are generally sweet and friendly dogs and compatible with other dogs. However I fear as they’re both females and the bit of Pomeranian in my existing dog may make her feel as if she wants to be top dog.

I don’t want to lose a dog or have one become injured, I’m worried but this matter isn’t in my hands as I’m a minor and it’s my parents considering getting a second dog. I just need some opinions on people experienced with having two dogs together hence I posted this on many forums and eventually out of desperation, imgur. I think it’s too late to get another dog but if a pug is compatible with the dog we have now, things should go smoothly.

I think it will depend on a lot of things. I have had 2,3 and 4 females for years and never have any problems. Yes the pugs that I know are generally sweet dogs. A bit of a worry that your older dogs has painful teeth. 7 years old is still a young dog, especially for a small dog and the teeth need to be sorted by a vet as decaying teeth are very bad for the dogs health and especially if they hurt, this could well affect her relationship with a new puppy. Your parents would ideally sort this out before getting a new puppy. It is not hard to keep a dogs teeth in good condition. A couple of my working sheepdogs are 9yo and in prime health with great teeth and do a days work with no problems..

Sometimes an older dog may feel a bit miffed with a new puppy others embrace it. Mine generally welcome new puppies. One of my old females just loved welcoming new puppies, male or female but then she didnt have a sore mouth. Training, play and perhaps a crate or pen for puppy to chill out in. Good luck, it is hard when things are not in your control.
    Last edited by Kalacreek; 21-01-2019, 02:29 AM.

Comment

When we introduced our previous dog to a puppy, he peed all over it if he could. Puppies being cute and adorable get a lot of attention, we had to make sure Sam got the attention he was used to plus more, he then settled and they got on fine. I did this with my current dogs as well, when I bought the second puppy home, I made sure I didn't change any of Mindy's attention or routine, I've had no issues.

Comment

Working...
      X