Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bl**dy Pet Shops

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Bl**dy Pet Shops

    Why don't pet shops have to be licensed to sell puppies??

    (((((((((RANT COMING))))))))))))

    I was killing time yesterday waiting for an appointment, so i thought i would walk around the Myer centre in Adelaide. I dont usually go into this particular pet shop but i was wandering aimlessly killing time.

    In the pet shop they had 6 pups, 2 bull terrier crosses, 2 border collie crosses, 1 beagle and a miniature poodle.

    the pups were housed in glass enclosures, no water or toys, both of the bull's were covered in poo and the poodle had about an inch and a half of wool on it, and his little tummy was all matted, his eyes were all mucky and when we wee'd it ran down his little legs!

    as if this was not bad enough there was a girl working in the store who was all of about 17, telling these people that no of course the poodle wouldn't need much work, that a brush every couple of weeks would do it, that you should only wash them every couple of months that any more was bad for them and she said nothing about clipping.

    now i wish this was the truth, i brush our dog every day to keep her coat smooth and fluffy, she gets a bath about once a week, depending on what we are doing and she gets clipped about every 3 months, all of these things cost money, admittedly brushing is only about 30 minutes a day, a bath takes about an hour every weekend and clipping costs about $50 a quarter but i think if people are selling these dogs, the least they can do is tell people!!!

    Ok Rant over, thanks for listening!

  • #2
    now the person who buys the Poodle will have a dog that doesn't meet their requirements because they were lied to and the poor poodle will end up another statistic at the pound

    Comment


    • #3
      the two pet shops in Westfield cringe when I walk past. I'm sure they have a photo up of me and a note saying "Staff, beware if you see this woman anywhere near the shop - handle with caution, her bark is worse than her bite".

      Comment


      • #4
        I was at Knox getting my hair done on Saturday and walked past a pets paradise and there were pure breed dogs..I am yet to meet a reputable non cross breeder who sells to pets paradise

        Comment


        • #5
          PEPSI -- A call to the RSPCA is in order there I would think.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by mouseandchicken View Post
            the two pet shops in Westfield cringe when I walk past. I'm sure they have a photo up of me and a note saying "Staff, beware if you see this woman anywhere near the shop - handle with caution, her bark is worse than her bite".
            OMG!!! thats funny!!! well done!! i thought that only happens at pubs when people are banned.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by PeiLuver View Post
              PEPSI -- A call to the RSPCA is in order there I would think.
              I did that but they said there is not much they can do! they are aware of this pet shop and they will send an inspector but she didn't sound too optimistic!

              Comment


              • #8
                It is very sad that pet shops like this give ALL pet shops a bad name. I have nothing against pet shops but ones in those shopping complex areas are one type where animals don't belong. You most likely wouldn't see the owner of the shop, and because rent is phenominally high they hire juniors regardless of experience, so they can keep wages cheap. Customers expect the staff to know everything and juniors don't like to look dumb so have to do the best they can think of.

                How they even get approval to put in a pet shop selling animals in places like that, is questionable for me. I use to own a pet store and was refused a shop in our local plaza due to health regulations with food stores around. I am pretty sure that those glass enclosures are compulsory in plaza shops but having that many puppies is not Those poor little things should have been in my store. I'll be bias. Almost every animal keeper hate pet shops but I gained a good reputation but sadly wasn't enough to keep my doors open. During the day they had a puppy run, walked outside and almost always being carried around or in someone's lap. At night time my puppies came home with me and slept in our beds much to the delight of my children. I guess my love for the animals sent me broke but I am a firm believer that things happen for a reason and was not sad to lose it. If I had to compromise my animals well being because of money then I sold them cheap, or gave them away. No business can survive on that. I opened my shop for the love of the animals but learnt that animals and business just don't have any business together. My vet who came to me for needles and medicines was also a member of our local Animal Welfare and was always happy with how we looked after our animals.

                I am surprised that the breeders of the puppies at Myer will allow the shops to take them while they already have plenty. I had a limit of 4 and would not take anymore until I had one left - puppies like company.
                Last edited by mydogau; 08-02-2010, 02:46 PM.
                sigpicRIP Tigga

                Comment


                • #9
                  mydogau, may I ask where you sourced your puppies from? It sounds like you treated them well unlike many other stores.
                  sigpic
                  In My Home Dog Minding
                  www.greyhoundrescue.com.au

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    PEPSI

                    Have you thought about complaining directly to the shopping centre management.

                    The Myer Centre Adelaide : Contact Us

                    If you use the email - give them a link to the anti puppy mills info too and explain how dogs in pet shops often come from puppy mills...
                    sigpic

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Great idea....i hadn't thought of that!!

                      thanks

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by mydogau View Post
                        It is very sad that pet shops like this give ALL pet shops a bad name. I have nothing against pet shops but ones in those shopping complex areas are one type where animals don't belong. You most likely wouldn't see the owner of the shop, and because rent is phenominally high they hire juniors regardless of experience, so they can keep wages cheap. Customers expect the staff to know everything and juniors don't like to look dumb so have to do the best they can think of.

                        How they even get approval to put in a pet shop selling animals in places like that, is questionable for me. I use to own a pet store and was refused a shop in our local plaza due to health regulations with food stores around. I am pretty sure that those glass enclosures are compulsory in plaza shops but having that many puppies is not Those poor little things should have been in my store. I'll be bias. Almost every animal keeper hate pet shops but I gained a good reputation but sadly wasn't enough to keep my doors open. During the day they had a puppy run, walked outside and almost always being carried around or in someone's lap. At night time my puppies came home with me and slept in our beds much to the delight of my children. I guess my love for the animals sent me broke but I am a firm believer that things happen for a reason and was not sad to lose it. If I had to compromise my animals well being because of money then I sold them cheap, or gave them away. No business can survive on that. I opened my shop for the love of the animals but learnt that animals and business just don't have any business together. My vet who came to me for needles and medicines was also a member of our local Animal Welfare and was always happy with how we looked after our animals.

                        I am surprised that the breeders of the puppies at Myer will allow the shops to take them while they already have plenty. I had a limit of 4 and would not take anymore until I had one left - puppies like company.
                        I agree with the majority of this post to a huge extent.

                        Many/most pet shops suck, hire kids who haven't got a clue and don't care a rat's bum about the puppies and kittens (or anything else for that matter) and certainly don't tell ppl the truth about what they are purchasing.

                        However, like I've stated months ago in other threads, I've known some damned good pet shop proprietors who DID care - A LOT.
                        They looked after any puppies in a similar way to MyDog and would be VERY careful about who they allowed to buy the puppies. A fair percentage (but not all) of the puppies came from the local refuge whom pet shop owners worked in unison with to help find decent homes.

                        I realise that most pet shops are not great, but not all of them deserve to be tarred with the same brush. I have met some proprietors who I can honestly state care more for the welfare of those pups than many registered and allgedly 'reputable' breeders I have met or known over the years.
                        [CENTER][SIGPIC][/SIGPIC][/CENTER]

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          My parents owned a pet shop when I was young. We would source dogs and cats for clients and put them in touch with the breeder for a small percentage. This was back in the days when your local pet shop was where you got all your dog/cat/bird needs.

                          What I object to most is the ones where they are displayed in the window. Tempting impulse buying and then the total lack of knowledge. The incorrect labeling eg: miniature maltese, non-shedding coat etc.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            I was not saying that all pet shops are bad, the one i usually go to doesn't sell pups, but he can point people in the right direction, he had heaps of info about diet, well being and anything else you ask him. He was the one who suggested that if all i want is a pet to go get a hand me down!!

                            I have also seen him give people food and little extras, when a friend of mine lost her job, she went in to get some dog food but when she didn't get the usual extras he asked why, she said she lost her job and couldn't afford them right now, so a bone and some other extras fell into the bag.

                            He has also been great with our bird, he is always asking how every one is, i truly believe he cares for his clients and tier pets, but i wish there was some way of making people understand that the people selling you the dog dont always have the best intentions and that you should do your own homework. I would like to see a 48 hr colling off, but then i guess that would not stop the people who are set on doing the wrong thing!

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Ooh I didn't think of that angle. The pet shop with the puppies is in the myer centre basement - with the food court. Less than great.

                              Next time I'm that way, I think I will take photos and send in the email to centre management.

                              The more of us do it the more likely we are to get rid of them. Those kinds of shopping centres are really sensitive to customer needs. The food court is also extremely popular with students, so I could maybe ask any Animal Welfare activists at the Uni across the road to see if they can't educate the patrons and organise mass complaints. Woo hoo.

                              Though a lot of the students are asian, they might not see it the same as the rest of us.
                              sigpic

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X