Advice needed - managing my two boys size difference

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Advice needed - managing my two boys size difference

I actually have to deal with this a lot as I have newfies and they love to play and I also get newfie puppies or other recue dogs in my house hold that are either too young to rough house with an adult newf or just too fragile.

So I train "gentle".... Which is extremely tedious at first.... I just let dogs out together and as soon as it is too rough, I say "gentle" and if it does not happen (especially at first as they have no idea).. I just put them in about a 1-3 minute time out or at least away from the other dog, even if it means beside you on lead.... I say it is tedious, because at first you have to repeat this a lot. But they get it really quickly... I have five at home, one is quite elderly now, but still a bit of an idiot, so when she goes out with the pack and they run around it is fine. But if they get rough, I say "gentle" and because of all the previous training they slow it down. Some have even figured that if you go in a "drop" and just use your front paws and mouth, you are allowed to do anything LOL... It also helps as we use our dogs in social situations and demos with many other dogs. The word "gentle" is used a lot then.... But you have to be persistent initially and it does not happen overnight. You take away the dog that is the rough one, even if it is your little one... if they both are you might need a hand from a second person.... the one thing I must stress is that you do not speak to them, no words like "no" or telling them off is used... you just take them and either have them next to you in the quiet spot or away in another room... let them out and again say nothing and see what happens.... If it goes wild again, say "gentle", if it slows down allow them to stay together if not remove one...... repeat, repeat, repeat LOL
    sigpicPets are forever

Comment

There was substantial size difference in my dogs. It has eased up as the pup grew but same as newfsie - I would say gentle, and if they didn't ease up i would walk between the two to add some space from each other to "shake it off" or take the rowdier one to time out.

I even walked around with a broom for the first month while playing - NOT for hitting them! But to just nudge between them when I felt they were getting too excited/rowdy and potential for injury could happen (+ hurt feelings if one got TOO nippy).

They play pretty sedately and lazily together now, so it worked out. But took LOTS of repitition to reinforce that they play calm ONLY.

Sometimes they get the zoomies and one gets a little too intense. These days if she does not listen to my "oi, gentle" - I will put her on lead for a minute or so as time out. This generally only occurs in new locations where they're both just a bit too excited. They settle again.

Comment

Comment

Comment

Awwwww. With time and repetition he should get it. Teenage brains can be a bit thick at times.

Comment

Comment

Don't feel bummed out if after a couple of months, they seem to go backwards. It is just ageing and testing each other's boundaries. Return to the basics of gentle and management until it becomes second nature.

Me: thinking of when mr big and grown up teenage spaniel kept posturing at my older dog (who thankfully just ignored him so I had to interject a bit. He was just being an over excited hormonal teen and he's since stopped that stupid behaviour. But oh boy it was annoying!)

Comment

Sounds like you getting it all sorted
                  sigpicPets are forever

Comment

Big little brother totally fed up with little big brother haha

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                    X