Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Truffle suddenly became territorial? Frustrated? fighting with the neighbour dog.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm absolutely comfortable if the training is setup in a controlled environment as I described in my previous post.

The behaviour your dogs shows when seeing another dog (as described in your last post) just indicates that there is some drive left in your dog and that she is keen to investigate other dogs, but unsure at the same time. That is IMO a pretty normal reaction from a dog that lives her life isolated from other dogs, and it is nothing that can't be fixed with a controlled approach in a controlled environment.

Comment

Originally posted by outlaw View Post
      That is IMO a pretty normal reaction from a dog that lives her life isolated from other dogs, and it is nothing that can't be fixed with a controlled approach in a controlled environment.
      Exactly right but a group training class is absolutely not the right controlled environment at this point. With all respect you have not witnessed this behaviour with this dog and I have given very little detail in all posts above so only I and my trainer are really qualified to make that call. Whilst I respect your right to your opinion I'm happy with the action being taken at this point. It is absolutely normal for her circumstances which is why I need to slowly increase her threshold before introducing her to 5 or 6 other dogs some potentially with the same or worse self control. I have employed a competent trainer who is walking the two of us through the process.

I make a living by training humans and work with many clients with anxiety disorders (among others). Throwing someone with anxiety issues into a group of other people where they will more than likely not be comfortable will ALWAYS end in tears. The end game of anxiety is always the fight or flight impulse until the owner of the issue has learned to control it. Obviously whichever path the dog chooses (fight or flight) in a group training class is not going to be pretty. It also will create an environment not conducive to learning for Truffle, me, the other dogs or owners.

As mentioned earlier we will enroll in group classes and already have socilisation planned during the one on one sessions once a management plan is in place for her anxiety and self control issues.

Thanks,
      Pete.

Comment

Even a 'normal' group trainings class is already a controlled environment (at least in our club) as no dog attends without assessment from the instructors, new starters will carry a red cloth mark at their collar, only the advanced classes are off-leash, and all the learning matter and consequently the setups are matching the obedience level of the class.

However, the trainings ground (again, at least in our club) offers much more: there are the socializing time before and after the official training where the dogs (the ones that have been cleared to do so) can run freely on the ovals - a very good opportunity to start training a reliable recall by e.g. rewarding the dog when he comes to check in. If some tension built up there are always instructors on the field to step in. Some dog owners with problem dogs just use the training days to walk their dog around the ovals during the official training so their dogs get used to the exciting smell and noise and running dogs.

And, if something goes wrong: all the members respectively their dogs are insured on the trainings ground.

The setup I mentioned in my previous post is of course not a 'normal' trainings class / group: all the decoy dogs in the group would be handpicked and the training / distance work would address the specific needs of your dog. Depending on the progress / outcome of those special sessions / assessments your dog might be able to join a 'normal' starter class relative soon; of course, if there would be any issues the particular instructor of the class would be informed about this issue and would take care for specific needs (e.g. greater distance). Those dogs with special needs would also be recognizable for others by a yellow cloth mark they have to carry on their collar.

I'm aware that not all dog training clubs offer all those options, but there might be something similar in the area where you live.
        Last edited by outlaw; 26-02-2017, 10:05 AM. Reason: added "new starters" wrt red marks

Comment

When I belonged to a dog club there were a couple of us with dogs with issues and we would work well away from the main classes and keep our dogs under threshold. That was quite a good way of working ones dogs in the vicinity of other dogs that you knew were already under control and were not likely to run at you or your dog. It did get to the point where we were able to join the classes but it took some time.

Comment

Originally posted by outlaw View Post
            Depending on the progress / outcome of those special sessions / assessments your dog might be able to join a 'normal' starter class relative soon
            Thanks. This is the plan. My trainer does one on one and group classes. The next group class starts in April (I think). At this point I plan to attend that one. If Truffle is not ready (trainer will assess with me at the time) it will be postponed.

Kalacreek; Yes I believe this will at least be how we start at group training.

At this point Truffle's training is going well. She now walks on a slack leash around 50% of the time and is still able to be "command controlled" with dogs 100m away. We will continue to work on this all day every day.

Thanks,
            Pete

Comment

Working...
            X