Importance of dog collars and tags if you have an escapee

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Importance of dog collars and tags if you have an escapee

I was getting in my car the other evening, when a lady and her daughter asked me if I had lost a dog, she had walked three blocks trying to find the owner of a dog that wandered into her front yard, Looked like a well looked after retriever, no collar or tag, she didn't want to take the dog home for the night, as her dog wasn't dog friendly, I couldn't help her out as Heidi has only had two injections as well as they are pups, the only alternative was to call RSPCA to collect it...

We seem to get a few escapees around here, one owner pulled me up while walking Mindy frantically looking for his dog after it escaped. I have a girl friend who refuses to put a collar and tag on her dogs, neither are registered, and the microchip gives the address and old phone number for Kunanurra, she thinks collars are cruel.

I have my mobile number on both dogs tags, accidents can happen if a dog is on it's own or if the gate isn't properly secured.

My dogs are not the type to try to escape but as you say, accidents happen so both my dogs wear collars with ID on them.

My Poodle is a very bouncy dog (on the spot bounces 1-2 metres in the air easily), as a pup his tag got caught on a fence when he was bouncing up and down.... he would have hung himself except (thank goodness) the tag broke under his weight. After that incident I bought him a collar with his name and my phone number stitched on and i adjusted it with elastic so if it got caught on something it would just stretch and slip off. It looks kind of ugly and is useless as an actual collar for walking but it does it's job well... I have another normal collar for him with a normal tag that he wears when we go out walking

My reason for keeping ID on my dogs is because there is an increasing trend now days of people finding lost dogs and NOT taking them to the pound or a vet, instead keeping them at home. Most dogs now days are microchipped so that is the worst thing you can do.

I've heard stories of dogs who were missing for weeks or months with owners desperately searching everywhere... when the dog is eventually found it is discovered they were being kept at someones house.

Any lost dog should be taken to a vet or the pound as soon as possible... the first place most people who have lost their dog will look is the pound and local vets!

Comment

Originally posted by maddogdodge View Post
      My dogs are not the type to try to escape but as you say, accidents happen so both my dogs wear collars with ID on them.

My Poodle is a very bouncy dog (on the spot bounces 1-2 metres in the air easily), as a pup his tag got caught on a fence when he was bouncing up and down.... he would have hung himself except (thank goodness) the tag broke under his weight. After that incident I bought him a collar with his name and my phone number stitched on and i adjusted it with elastic so if it got caught on something it would just stretch and slip off. It looks kind of ugly and is useless as an actual collar for walking but it does it's job well... I have another normal collar for him with a normal tag that he wears when we go out walking

My reason for keeping ID on my dogs is because there is an increasing trend now days of people finding lost dogs and NOT taking them to the pound or a vet, instead keeping them at home. Most dogs now days are microchipped so that is the worst thing you can do.

I've heard stories of dogs who were missing for weeks or months with owners desperately searching everywhere... when the dog is eventually found it is discovered they were being kept at someones house.

Any lost dog should be taken to a vet or the pound as soon as possible... the first place most people who have lost their dog will look is the pound and local vets!
      People can be very stupid even if they think they are being kind or whatever. As you said most pets are micro chipped these days and a collar can easily come off. It is really dumb to keep the dog when most times a family or person is desperate to find their dog.

I put collars on when I go to the city or traveling in the car but not at home where they could become snagged on something when I am out. They are all micro chipped and if the worst happens I hope they get picked up by a smart caring person who wants to try and get them reunited.

I picked up a retriever cross once and he wasn't chipped and no tags so I put ads in the local papers (they did it for free) and rang the ranger and all the vets and put up notices. No one ever claimed him after a month of trying so the rangers were happy for me to keep him and find him a home as they were overflowing with dogs. He was a lovely boy and found a great home with a local family.

Comment

I keep both dogs ID'd at all times, because on the offchance someone manages to catch my escapee - I don't want them deciding they're "abused" or something for being scared of strangers when I am not around (and also on the lean side of not-fat).

So both have tags declaring my contact number, that they're microchipped, much loved and in the case of thistle - a very scared rescue dog - to encourage the finders to either call me or take the dogs to a vet/ranger etc.

Too many people see scared or slim and jump to the "owner doesn't deserve them! i'll keep in my backyard! the pound will kill them so i'll make it super hard for anyone to find them by only advertising on facebook and if they dont find me they must not love their dog" etc etc etc. i help admin a lost dog page, it is super frustrating the excuses people will come up with under the guide of "just trying to help, i should be praised for not taking to vet!"

Comment

One of my dogs is a collar grabber. My other dog doesn't play much (sadly) so they're fine to keep their collars on when home alone. Now anyway. But when we have a playful foster I usually take their collar off before I go to work, for safety reasons.

Our local lost pets FB page is fantastic fortunately. Though the one time one of mine ended up there I got a call from the vet before I saw it. Microchips are great. I've returned a couple of dogs to their owners through them too.

But yes, phone number on the collar does make it easier.

Comment

My neighbour's puppy got tangled up in his older dog's collar today. The screaming was heart rending - I thought she'd cut herself on the fence (she sticks her nose under often)...

I am thinking of providing him the links to break away collars... I don't like to leave my dog's collar on when she's home but always have it on when we're out.

people who don't put collars or rego tags on their dogs when they're out annoy me - it's a requirement that they have rego tags on in SA. And a collar makes it much easier for me to deal with a jumping dog besides chucking kibble at it. Or help someone catch a reluctant dog.
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Hyacinth View Post
              My neighbour's puppy got tangled up in his older dog's collar today. The screaming was heart rending - I thought she'd cut herself on the fence (she sticks her nose under often)...

I am thinking of providing him the links to break away collars... I don't like to leave my dog's collar on when she's home but always have it on when we're out.

people who don't put collars or rego tags on their dogs when they're out annoy me - it's a requirement that they have rego tags on in SA. And a collar makes it much easier for me to deal with a jumping dog besides chucking kibble at it. Or help someone catch a reluctant dog.
              Im for no collars at home. Dogs name n my phone number on collar for outside. I had a pup collar on her at 1st. But the D ring got caught in deck whilst she was led down. So since then- none wear collars at home.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

Comment

I keep a collar on the heeler with her name and my phone number embroided, but not the kelpie, Mindy I only put hers on when walking, travelling or camping. They play rough and the heeler could easily damage her neck or choke her if she grabbed it and didn't let go. On the down side if the council walk past and look over the fence, and see the dog doesn't have a collar and ID a fine comes through the mail. That happened with a previous dog, we received a $200 fine in the mail.

Comment

Working...
                X