This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Triangle of Temptation

K9: I have had a massive amount of success with this program. I started it when working dogs in drive & have spent many years building it into a program that can be used on any dog. It has no down sides when carried out correctly. I have yet to come across a program that can be used on every dog with this much success.

This is a training in drive program.

When I explain drives to people, I explain that there is a trigger, threshold, drive initialisation, drive peak & drive satisfaction.

I explain that this program puts the dog into the area of its drive in which it can learn most effectively.

Drive is a subconscious reaction to stimuli, its also an adrenalin based behaviour.

So this makes for a very fast complying & reliable dog that learns very fast...

I have used it for general pets, competition dogs, sport dogs, working dogs, problem dogs, puppies & dogs with phobias, all with great success.

It serves perfect for the basis of obedience training & bond building, it ensures that the old rule of training is carried out effectively, which is

"The command is an opportunity to earn a reward"

Each time the dog receives a command in the Triangle, it ends with the dog eating which is drive satisfaction, its very hard to go wrong.

The exercises also are taught in drive which is the most effective training method in the world.

You end up creating a list of commands that are all thought of (by the dog) as positive...

There are no corrections applied in the triangle.

It helps train the handler / owner to use raining markers also & communicate with their dogs effectively.

Whilst it looks like a simple feeding program, I have spent many years perfecting every step both from the perspective of a behaviourist & a trainer.

I must have prescribed this to well over 20 000 people, not one failed to have results with it that carried it out correctly.

It enhances the Alpha status of the person who commands the triangle, this can be anyone or every one in your home. It prevents rank issues both with human & dog pack members. It can be modified slightly to cure pre existing rank issues...

It can serve as a diagnostic program that can give a strong insight to how the dog views the handler, simple observation of the dog when it is released to eat can tell you if the dog has trust (see's you as the Alpha) or not. Does the dog run straight to the food & eat or circle the bowl so it may watch you when it eats...

I personally wont start training a new dog of mine until it eats without watching me... If it doesn't see me as the Alpha, I cant trigger pack drive, my training will go slowly if at all...

It is a training in drive with distraction program also, it can be taken anywhere, a dog experienced in the TOT can have it taken on the road.

The temptation can be anything your dog wants, it teaches the dog to ask your permission to partake in anything...

I am putting the base program here & Morgan has agreed to pin it so that people can access it easily & have the same successes others here have had.

I would be happy to hear from others having success using it.

The only condition I ask for is that if this is distributed, its done by linking to this page & my contact details are included. This ensures I can be contacted for any difficulties...

Triangle of Temptation.
    Steve Courtney, K9 Pro - The K9 Professionals

www.k9pro.com.au

Official Forum Trainer and Behaviourist

all of the above I did with clicker training, and succeeded. How is it different? I just changed confirmation "yes" with clicking. It worked.

good post btw , thanks
    Respect and you shall be respected. Animal is always right.

Comment

Originally posted by Fedra View Post
      all of the above I did with clicker training, and succeeded. How is it different? I just changed confirmation "yes" with clicking. It worked.

good post btw , thanks
      K9: No different except for the clicker. The click in your case represents the marker in which I use the verbal yes, then no need to carry a clicker.

The idea is that this teaches the dog & handler communication skills & timing that they can use throughout all styles of training.

I feel that having the handler actually speak to the dog retains more respect from the dog & it saves having to each new handlers clicker training principles.

But you can (as you have) certainly use a clicker if that is your chosen way.

www.k9pro.com.au

Comment

IMHO the difference is that a clicker is far quicker and more accurate - easier to press a button than to wait for the word, especially for people new to training. Just in my experience of course.

Have you ever done any training with clickers steve?

Comment

Originally posted by Occy View Post
          IMHO the difference is that a clicker is far quicker and more accurate - easier to press a button than to wait for the word, especially for people new to training. Just in my experience of course.

Have you ever done any training with clickers steve?
          K9: Yep absolutely, many of my competition clients were using them before coming to me & as the association of reward was already there, we stay with it.

Having said that, the TOT is a very adjustable program that really anyone can follow, so in its basic form I didn't want to make it a clicker training program meaning that would be another initiative people would need to undertake.

and, as someone once said recently, I train & get away with as least equipment I can.

This begins as a feeding program, we use a back tie, food bowl & that's it. The idea really is to get your average Joe to uptake this at home & feel confident doing it.

Once we get the foundation down, it can be taken in many other ways & then many other facets of training can be added.

www.k9pro.com.au

Comment

Ok, but my question still stands. Have you, yourself, done any clicker training?

Comment

O: Ok, but my question still stands. Have you, yourself, done any clicker training?
              K9: I don't train my dogs with a clicker no, I don't advise people to use clickers in lessons as we achieve the results without the clicker, never found a situation that I actually needed a clicker, but as I said, I have quite a few clients that use CT to shape certain parts of their routine, & in those lessons I do use a clicker yes & if someone comes asking to be instructed with a clicker then we use one were applicable.

www.k9pro.com.au

Comment

Perhaps you should, just to add to your already overflowing toolbox.

Comment

K9: Were doing very well so will just stay on that track right now.

www.k9pro.com.au

Comment

Originally posted by k9force View Post
                    K9: Were doing very well so will just stay on that track right now.
                    Clicker or no clicker - same thing (for me, anyway). For me, clicker is just a tool. But for people who don't know much, is in a way good, because they themselves get used to that habit of praising dog when they should. Dogs react to a sound, it may be clapping instead of clicking, may be the word "yes" k9 is using... whatever is easier for a person.
                    I used clicker, but I kept forgetting it when going out, there's really no or very little difference.

Comment

Fedra - I disagree. Clicker, though initially more difficult than using your voice, is far quicker. I'm a woman. I can multitask...I can have food, target stick, clicker and dog and still be able to answer the phone LOL. However, that is based on experienced. I've truthfully not picked up a clicker in quite a while as there is nothing i need to train, but when I do pick one up - Cappy immediately wants to know what is in it for him

Comment

Fedra - I disagree. Clicker, though initially more difficult than using your voice, is far quicker.

K9: They also frighten a lot of dogs & are very limited in the adjustments you can make to the sound of the click, whereas with our voice, one would assume that your dogs are already tuned to our voice & we can elevate or decrease tones to suit the moment.

You always have your voice with you, may not always have a clicker.

I've truthfully not picked up a clicker in quite a while as there is nothing i need to train, but when I do pick one up - Cappy immediately wants to know what is in it for him
                        K9: Just like the ,majority of people will pick up a leash & their dog will know or think its walk time. Pairing happens with many things even an old pair of sneakers.

www.k9pro.com.au

Comment

I have found clicker training interesting, and it would suit some people....I can see the benefits for some people.

Personally i prefer my voice...clicker training does not suit me here as i am so time poor and would definately be without a clicker at times!

The simpler the better for me personally. I dont want to rely on having a clicker to get results.

Besides, I have a great acreage yell "apparently'!!

Nic

"There is enough love and concern for animals in every community to overcome the irresposibility of the few"
                          Nathan Winograd.

Comment

Hi Steve

We have a female PB Kelpie who came from two working parents...so very receptive, with her finger on the pulse every second of the day.

When she was a puppy i had very little recall during the times she was in prey drive...(or rounding something up!)

She heard me, but would dismiss me. So i began to watch for the first signs of her responding to me, which was when she would turn her "radar" ears to hear my command (while heading in the opposite direction). I started verbally praising this with a low toned 'good girl' low and behold she would then turn toward me, and i had recall!

Just wondering what your thoughts were. I am looking forward to the day when i can come along to a K9 Force workshop!!!

Nic

L

"There is enough love and concern for animals in every community to overcome the irresposibility of the few"
                            Nathan Winograd.

Comment

Fedra - I disagree. Clicker, though initially more difficult than using your voice, is far quicker. I'm a woman. I can multitask...I can have food, target stick, clicker and dog and still be able to answer the phone LOL. However, that is based on experienced. I've truthfully not picked up a clicker in quite a while as there is nothing i need to train, but when I do pick one up - Cappy immediately wants to know what is in it for him
                              That's fine Occy, I said, "for me anyway". I must agree with k9 in a way that majority of dogs are tuned to our voice. However, some are not and clicker is somehow good distraction tool. Dogs are different. And gosh! How many times I dropped it or did something in that crucial moment when I was supposed to click it! With voice... it's just here!

I've truthfully not picked up a clicker in quite a while as there is nothing i need to train, but when I do pick one up - Cappy immediately wants to know what is in it for him
                              That's one thing I don't like about clicker. When I pick up clicker, my dog gets all excited and concentrates on what follows the click, and that's food. So, yes, I use clicker for fine tuning if I should call it that , and it's great, but not as one and only thing, not as something exclusive. I really do prefer voice, and I want my dog to be focused on me and me only, not on some clicking thing.
                              Last edited by Fedra; 31-03-2009, 05:06 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X