Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Coat sprays!

Hi there all,

Our three month old Kelpie puppy gets a little bit of a doggy smell a few days after her bath. Wondering if you have any recommendations for coat sprays? Preferably natural.

I never bath my dogs unless they roll in something disgusting. The natural oils in coats are protective and self cleaning. Bathing on a regular basis strips these natural oils away so they cant do their natural job. My 8yo working kelpie has actually never had a bath in her life and she is deeply shiny and non smelly!

Comment

Originally posted by Kalacreek View Post
      I never bath my dogs unless they roll in something disgusting. The natural oils in coats are protective and self cleaning. Bathing on a regular basis strips these natural oils away so they cant do their natural job. My 8yo working kelpie has actually never had a bath in her life and she is deeply shiny and non smelly!
      Some dogs will stink with a doggy smell regardless if they've been washed regularly or never washed in their life. Dodge is one of them. She's had about 4 baths in her 13 years of life and she has a strong doggy smell.

I wash Koda about once a month which seems to keep his doggy smell at bay and Finn gets a bath every fortnight which generally keeps the doggy smell at bay as well. No issues with drying out coat or stripping oils. Using cheap harsh shampoos would strip the coat though or bathing weekly can too. But with good shampoos its generally okay.

I would highly recommend the range of Melanie Newman products. Their shampoos and conditioners are absolutely amazing. Their colognes are wonderful as well.

I'm mildly obsessed with their 'Purify' range, haha!

https://melanienewman.com.au/

Comment

With a 3 month old kelpie I would still be inclined to try not bathing her and see what happens. I mean the dog is only 12 weeks old and sounds like she is regularly bathed! If the problem continues then I would look into it. Sometimes fleas and other skin problems can cause the smell.

Comment

Kalacreek'
          Last edited by RileyJ; 30-10-2017, 05:17 PM.

Comment

I can't be bothered with debates now days but I do just want to say my thoughts on this. No offence intended to anyone.

I think to imply that only an unhealthy dog will have a doggy smell is un-accurate. My dogs are a picture of health (my vets agree), no allergies, no yeast, spotless teeth, parasite free, raw fed... I could go on. But after about 4 weeks of no bath, they start to smell doggy. It's not over powering at all, but it is a scent that they have, just like most creatures have some kind of scent.

I do wonder if people who don't bath their dogs and claim they don't have a smell are just not noticing said smell. I have known many people over the years who thought their dogs had no smell, but in reality the dogs, and their entire house reeked of dog to anyone who was not accustomed to it.

Of course health is something to consider but I don't think a doggy smell is something that always indicates health problems.

Comment

I have visited quite a few houses with dogs over the years and there are definitely houses that do not have a doggy smell one was a breeder who had around 20 Border collies coming and going!. I have also visited houses where the smell was very strong. No idea why the differences as I didn't really investigate and all dogs appeared healthy. I don't think my dogs smell because I am the only farmer in the area who allows their dogs in the house! My neighbours when they have visited always express their surprise had how my house doesn't smell of dog.

The reason I mention skin irritations is that the one dog I had that did smell had a flea allergy and until I got that under control I could definitely smell her.

Getting back to the OP. My thoughts are that we have a 12 week old puppy that sounds like it has been bathed a few times. We don't know what with. We dont know if the pup may have an allergy or what it eats.

So my thoughts are that the owner stops bathing for awhile, checks what shampoo they have used - is it dog shampoo or human, checks for any potential skin problems, maybe look at the dogs diet and go from there. Maybe the dog just naturally has a strong odour but I would be eliminating a few potential reasons first.
              Last edited by Kalacreek; 30-10-2017, 10:06 PM.

Comment

I have visited quite a few houses with dogs over the years and there are definitely houses that do not have a doggy smell one was a breeder who had around 20 Border collies coming and going!. I have also visited houses where the smell was very strong. No idea why the differences as I didn't really investigate and all dogs appeared healthy. I don't think my dogs smell because I am the only farmer in the area who allows their dogs in the house! My neighbours when they have visited always express their surprise had how my house doesn't smell of dog.

The reason I mention skin irritations is that the one dog I had that did smell had a flea allergy and until I got that under control I could definitely smell her.

Getting back to the OP. My thoughts are that we have a 12 week old puppy that sounds like it has been bathed a few times. We don't know what with. We dont know if the pup may have an allergy or what it eats.

So my thoughts are that the owner stops bathing for awhile, checks what shampoo they have used - is it dog shampoo or human, checks for any potential skin problems, maybe look at the dogs diet and go from there. Maybe the dog just naturally has a strong odour but I would be eliminating a few potential reasons first.
                Need the like button back!

Comment

Originally posted by RileyJ View Post
                  Kalacreek'
                  I can assure you she is well and healthy. She was visited by the vet on Saturday. Probably best you don't make assumptions.

This is my first dog, I have always had cats and cats clean themselves there always smell "clean". I'm not sure how to describe the smell other than saying a dog smell. The smell isn't unbearable but obviously doesn't smell nice and fresh like she does after a bath.

She is on a kangaroo mince and sweet potato diet. No allergies, again, received confirmation from a qualified vet.

Yeah definitely do not agree with two baths in eight years. Not into that. I want my dog feeling fresh and clean and smelling the same.

Comment

You stated earlier that you don't bathe your dogs unless they get into something dirty. When we adopted her she was disgusting from living outside for 6-8 weeks. You could feel the dirt on her coat as you pet her. We then thought she had a reaction to that DOG shampoo so we switched to an all natural shampoo.

Comment

Originally posted by stressedandconfused View Post
                      You stated earlier that you don't bathe your dogs unless they get into something dirty. When we adopted her she was disgusting from living outside for 6-8 weeks. You could feel the dirt on her coat as you pet her. We then thought she had a reaction to that DOG shampoo so we switched to an all natural shampoo.
                      Yes I can understand why you bathed her, being a puppy she would have relied on her mother keeping her clean and to be kept in dirty conditions is not good. Adult dogs are more able to keep themselves well groomed although if they are kept in dirty conditions that would be a challenge. I live on a farm so it can be dusty but apart from when they are working my dogs live in clean conditions and they do groom themselves. Even after a day working in the dust my BC still manages to have nice white markings. If they get muddy one can just hose the mud off.

Now your puppy is clean, why not just groom her with a brush and see how she goes. Mine get the occasional brush when they are losing their winter coats or it is grass seed season. After coming from less than ideal situations good to check her for any parasites on the skin and worm her internally and perhaps a bitof a health check when she goes in for her vaccinations.

Comment

My dog - sometimes I swear she has a teflon coat.

I was getting her bathed (and claw trim) about once a month. Now all she gets is hosed off after the beach or if she's done a very good job of rolling in something.

I brush her fairly often. Like a couple of times a week at the moment.

The only time she smells doggy is when she's been wet - eg post beach and I don't hose her down and dry her off thoroughly. i think a dog that is a little bit wet most of the time would get very rank.

I use a chamois leather immitation to dry her off. Works well. It's also good for removing surface dirt for the less aggressive rolls in the yard.
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Hyacinth View Post
                          My dog - sometimes I swear she has a teflon coat.

I was getting her bathed (and claw trim) about once a month. Now all she gets is hosed off after the beach or if she's done a very good job of rolling in something.

I brush her fairly often. Like a couple of times a week at the moment.

The only time she smells doggy is when she's been wet - eg post beach and I don't hose her down and dry her off thoroughly. i think a dog that is a little bit wet most of the time would get very rank.

I use a chamois leather immitation to dry her off. Works well. It's also good for removing surface dirt for the less aggressive rolls in the yard.
                          What brush would you recommend?

Comment

Yes I can understand why you bathed her, being a puppy she would have relied on her mother keeping her clean and to be kept in dirty conditions is not good. Adult dogs are more able to keep themselves well groomed although if they are kept in dirty conditions that would be a challenge. I live on a farm so it can be dusty but apart from when they are working my dogs live in clean conditions and they do groom themselves. Even after a day working in the dust my BC still manages to have nice white markings. If they get muddy one can just hose the mud off.

Now your puppy is clean, why not just groom her with a brush and see how she goes. Mine get the occasional brush when they are losing their winter coats or it is grass seed season. After coming from less than ideal situations good to check her for any parasites on the skin and worm her internally and perhaps a bitof a health check when she goes in for her vaccinations.
                            Again, she has been checked by the vet. Actually on Saturday to be precise.

Comment

Originally posted by stressedandconfused View Post
                              What brush would you recommend?
                              For a Kelpie, they don't need much brushing but an undercoat rake will help during shedding season.

Using a curry comb while bathing helps with shedding too, gets all that loose hair out.

Comment

Working...
                              X