Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Poodle Brush

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Poodle Brush

    I need help finding a good long pin Brush for my Toy poodle.
    I have a Slicker brush that i don't like to use , as it is hard too use softly enough on my pup.

    I would like too Fluff up her coat more, so it looks nice for longer.

    Thanks for any help

  • #2
    I like the equestrian rubber curry combs - with the pointy fingers... like these.
    http://www.herdz.com.au/stable-groom...urry-comb.html

    No idea if they are suitable for poodle coat. And I haven't bought from that business so no idea how reliable they are.
    sigpic

    Comment


    • #3
      Curry comb would be useless for a poodle - Sorry Hyacinth, they're good for de-shedding smooth coated dogs, not good for much else.

      My preference is slicker brushes - never looked much at pin brushes.

      Have a look at these sites though, they're both great reliable places to buy grooming tools

      https://clipperworld.com.au/grooming-products-c23.html

      http://www.ozgroomingworld.com.au/in...me=pin%20brush

      Comment


      • #4
        Those slicker brushes look like wool carders... not sure I'd want to use one on a live animal - but you're the groomer.
        sigpic

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Hyacinth View Post
          Those slicker brushes look like wool carders... not sure I'd want to use one on a live animal - but you're the groomer.
          When used appropriately they do no harm I always test brushes on my skin before using them on a dog (if I find it uncomfortable, I don't use it on the dog). And of course use softer slicker brushes for thin skinned dogs or puppies.

          Comment


          • #6
            I always hear great stuff about Chris Christensen grooming tools. Never tried them myself but they always seem to be highly recommended.

            They have some nice looking pin brushes, not cheap though!

            http://chrischristensenaustralia.com...s/pin-brushes/

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by maddogdodge View Post
              I always hear great stuff about Chris Christensen grooming tools. Never tried them myself but they always seem to be highly recommended.

              They have some nice looking pin brushes, not cheap though!

              http://chrischristensenaustralia.com...s/pin-brushes/
              Thanks for the link, I brought 2 brushes with long pins , they look very nice & easy too use.
              I'm using a home hair dryer at the moment on her, do you know what a Force Dryer is?

              Thanks very much for your help in finding the right products


              Those Mason & Pearson Boar Brushes are VERY expensive !!!!
              Last edited by PANDI-GIRL; 23-03-2017, 02:07 PM.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by PANDI-GIRL View Post
                Thanks for the link, I brought 2 brushes with long pins , they look very nice & easy too use.
                I'm using a home hair dryer at the moment on her, do you know what a Force Dryer is?

                Thanks very much for your help in finding the right products


                Those Mason & Pearson Boar Brushes are VERY expensive !!!!
                Force dryers are fantastic for fluffing Poodles up! I call them High Velocity dryers (HV dryer) I'd be lost without mine for my Standard Poodle! They help to straighten the hair out after a bath and make it SUPER fluffy + I find it helps reduce tangles. I like to alternate brushing and drying until the dog is fully dry, the brushing helps to seperate the hair and make it fluffier.

                I have the Lazor RX from clipper world. But just for home grooming your pup, I'm sure a cheaper one from eBay would be more than enough. Good to have one with adjustable heat and air pressure as well. It can take some dogs a little while to get used to a HV dryer but lots of positive reinforcement and they get used to it

                Here's a video of some poodles being dried with a force/HV dryer. I don't hold the nozzle quite that close to the dogs skin like that though. I hold it about 15cm away.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Lol at the dryer. Brilliant for getting loose hair out of a shedding dog as you dry it. We could make carpets out of the dust bunnies we get off my dog.
                  sigpic

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Hyacinth View Post
                    Lol at the dryer. Brilliant for getting loose hair out of a shedding dog as you dry it. We could make carpets out of the dust bunnies we get off my dog.
                    Yep, it looks like it's snowing when I blow dry Huskies!

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Hyacinth View Post
                      Lol at the dryer. Brilliant for getting loose hair out of a shedding dog as you dry it. We could make carpets out of the dust bunnies we get off my dog.
                      Yep, it looks like it's snowing when I blow dry Huskies!

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        My new brushes came & they are very nice & easy to use, fluff up the coat nicely.

                        PANDI has now decided at 7months that she will bite the brush at grooming time , even bites the old brush as well so its not the new brush making her mad , she likes brushing on her head & tail only, any where else & she gets mad & bites the brush
                        She does not have any knots yet but will soon if i can't brush her very well, i might have to clip her very short

                        Do you think she will grow out of this as she gets older.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by PANDI-GIRL View Post
                          My new brushes came & they are very nice & easy to use, fluff up the coat nicely.

                          PANDI has now decided at 7months that she will bite the brush at grooming time , even bites the old brush as well so its not the new brush making her mad , she likes brushing on her head & tail only, any where else & she gets mad & bites the brush
                          She does not have any knots yet but will soon if i can't brush her very well, i might have to clip her very short

                          Do you think she will grow out of this as she gets older.
                          Persist with it, she'll get through this At 7 months she's heading into the teenage phase... thats the age where puppies seem to forget all the rules and rebel a bit. It can be a difficult stage of puppyhood but it will be over sooner or later.

                          She'll also be going through coat change soon so if you want to keep her fluffy, brushing and combing every day thoroughly right to her skin is very important.

                          Comment

                          Working...
                          X