How to start a dog grooming business at home

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to start a dog grooming business at home

hi. i know that i would need a registered name, insurance, supplies etc. but how do i start it in my garage? for example how would iput plumbing so that i can have a sink, drain and tap? what were the start up costs, income, ongoing costs etc.

thankyou.

I would think the easiest way to start would be to go learn how to do it (for lots of different breeds, and learn all the different show cuts and practical cuts and what coats should never be cut and why...) - at an established and well liked groomers. Ideally not in your suburb (not direct competition).

And if you want to have the business in your garage where people bring their dogs to you - you will need council permission. You may also need council permission to put plumbing in your garage and connect a new drain to the sewer. Plumbing and drains will be expensive (thousands of dollars). Best person to ask about that is a plumber.

You also want to be good at training a dog to be calm under your care.

And it's really nice to have a couple of hydrolic lift tables so you don't have to try to lift a groodle onto a table.

And some crates of various sizes so you don't end up with a SWF pregnant from their time at the groomers running loose with the boy dog whose owner is late to pick him up. Yes - true story...
    sigpic

Comment

If you haven't already, first step is to learn to groom. Either go and do a course or find another groomer who would be willing to employ you and train you.

Some links to grooming courses for you, the first two I know are good and would recommend, the last one I know nothing about so do your own research on that one.

http://dogdiversity.com.au/

http://www.vcdg.com.au/

http://www.australiandoggroomingschool.com.au/

You will need an ABN and Insurance, you'll need to come up with admittance forms that the owner signs giving consent for you to groom their dog. You need some kind of record system to keep track of the history of all the dogs you work on. Contact your local council to find out what the rules are with running a business from your garage.

Tools you will absolutely need (these are the bare necessities, there are many other things I like to have on hand).

. Good clippers - I recommend Heiniger cordless
      . 3 pairs of scissors - Straight, curved and thinning sheers
      . Slicker brush, undercoat rake, comb
      . High velocity dryer
      . Blades - I'd recommend having at least two of each number. You definitely want to have a #10, #7, #5, #4 and #3
      . Snap on extension combs - the metal ones are better
      . Nail clippers and kwik stop
      . Muzzles in different sizes
      . Crates
      . Towels... endless towels I'm constantly doing washing!

You will also need a table that adjusts height otherwise you will end up with major back problems. This is the one I have, it's expensive but worth every cent!
      http://clipperworld.com.au/tables-ac...top-p3552.html

You will need a decent bath, probably a hydrobath is the best option in your situation.
      http://clipperworld.com.au/baths-accessories-c60.html

In terms of plumbing, you'll need to speak to a plumber about that.

You will also need to have a constant supply of disposable face masks otherwise you could end up with something called 'Groomers Lung'. Wear the masks while blow drying dogs. You also need ear plugs or ear muffs as the blow dryers average 100 decibels which is too loud to safely listen to without ear protection. Eye protection is also a good idea, the amount of time people have asked me if I am crying when in reality its just dog hair in my eyes, haha! Look after your back, lift dogs correctly. Protect your hands and joints. I've just spent about $500 treating tendonitis in my clipping hand. This is now an ongoing problem for me and working makes it worse. In the grooming industry you really need to look after your body from the get go!

Unfortunately start up costs add up very quickly simply by buying all the required tools. There is also the costs of advertising. You can start your prices lower but don't undercharge yourself too much and raise your prices if you feel it is needed. Don't stress about what your clients will think, just do what you need to do, this is something I am still struggling with.

Ongoing costs would be servicing your tools, sharpening blades and scissors. Shampoos, conditioners, colognes, detanglers, etc etc. I put bandanas on each dog I groom so I buy pieces of fabric from spotlight and cut it up into bandanas, cost effective but still something I spend money on. You will need a cleaning solution - I would recommend F10, it is a veterinary disinfectant, kills everything nasty and its super economical because you dilute it heaps. Also treats, endless treats! Treats are a lifesaver when dealing with wriggly dogs/puppies. And of course there is water, power, insurance etc etc all the boring stuff, haha!

You need to be an exceptionally patient person to be a groomer, it is not something everyone can do. I have my bad days where I just have to take breaks and stay relaxed for the dogs. And there will be dogs who absolutely hate being groomed and sometimes there isn't much you can do about it, you just have to work around them, muzzle if needed, keep yourself calm and do the best you can, don't put yourself in harms way, if the dog is too much for you, ring the owner. Starting up a grooming business can be tricky and expensive but if it works then that is awesome.

I've found the best advertising is word of mouth. I put business cards in local shops, I do mailbox drops. I run an ad in the paper occasionally.

Also, get this book.

http://clipperworld.com.au/books-dvd...ion-p4353.html

I know it is expensive but this book will save you a lot of hassle. It has step by step guides on how to do breed grooms on basically every purebreed that exists. This book has saved me a few times when grooming a breed I've never done before! I also always tell an owner if they request something I've never done before.

Comment

Maddogdodge. That is a mightily generous posting for a person with startup aspirations, "Good Onya"

Comment

Originally posted by farrview View Post
          Maddogdodge. That is a mightily generous posting for a person with startup aspirations, "Good Onya"
          I wasn't planning it to be that long but I kept thinking of things I needed to know/ wish I knew when I started my business... so my post ended up being a book... Oh well.. Hope it's helpful...

Comment

Working...
          X