Diving into the world of raw food

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Diving into the world of raw food

For probably the last 6 months Finn has been eating Black Hawk and Prime 100 BARF, and Koda has been eating Meals for Mutts with Prime 100 BARF. Both dogs also are getting extra things like eggs, greek yoghurt, and occasionally coconut oil. Because technically Dodge is my parents dog, I do not have a say in what she eats.

I've been very happy with how the BARF is going for my to fluff monsters but the cost is killing me (about $9.50 per kg).

I decided to read up on DIY BARF to see how hard it would be and what kind of cost it would be... Well I am gobsmacked!!

I've put together a rough recipe based on 70% muscle meat, 10% edible bone, 5% liver, 5% other organs and 10% veggies. I've then gone and priced everything... I cannot believe it but it's looking like feeding a raw diet isn't going to cost me any more than a bag of Black Hawk costs me .

Have been doing loads of research and will continue to do so but I am looking forward to giving this a go! I reckon the dogs are going to love it!
    I'll start by just replacing the Prime 100 BARF with my own stuff, then once I've got that down pat I'll look into fully switching to raw if I want to.

I am now also looking into the ins and outs of feeding 100% raw to ferrets as well cause it may well end up cheaper than the kibble/premade meat they are getting too, plus my ferrets do SO well on raw!

http://www.vetsallnatural.com.au/dr-bruce-articles/

Comment

I've still been feeding dry food because feeding solely Prime100 BARF is way out of my budget. It would cost $5.70 per meal just for Koda... Finn is currently eating about double what Koda eats... so roughly $15 a day in food... I cannot afford that. But thanks to my recent discovery of DIY being much cheaper, hopefully I can feed either all raw or at least mostly raw

Thanks for the links, I'm already a member of The Australian Raw Feeding Community, it's a great resource

Comment

http://www.vetsallnatural.com.au/

Comment

My original post says how much the Prime 100 costs. I buy it in bulk online which is the cheapest way for me, adds up to $9.50 per 1kg.

Looking up Vets all natural on My Pet Warehouse, the 15kg bag breaks down to $9.60 per 1kg.

Compared to making my own balanced raw food which will cost me anywhere from $4 to $6 per kg. Heaps cheaper than most pre-made options out there + I will know exactly what is going into it and what quality the ingredients are!

I've tried Big Dog BARF and the dogs hated it, wouldn't touch it (which is incredible because my dogs will usually eat anything). I've tried Dr. B's BARF, wasn't a huge fan of it, it's very gloopy in texture and was expensive + there's nowhere local for me to buy it.

Do you feed Vets All Natural? What do you think of it?

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by maddogdodge View Post
              I've tried Big Dog BARF and the dogs hated it, wouldn't touch it (which is incredible because my dogs will usually eat anything). I've tried Dr. B's BARF, wasn't a huge fan of it, it's very gloopy in texture and was expensive + there's nowhere local for me to buy it.
              The Big Dog BARF is the only one I can get hold of so I have fed it to my dogs on occasion. They all liked it but I didn't much like the smell of it. When my old dog got really sick she turned away from it so I hand-fed her raw steak which is the only thing she would eat.

I keep some in the freezer for emergencies. If feed them a raw meal I buy Roo mince at $6 kg and lambs hearts and mix up with eggs, sardines, greek yoghurt, pureed spinach and pumpkin and a bit of Omega magic so reasonably well priced mix but being working dogs would need to consume a fair bit They do mainly get grain free biscuits as the bulk of their diet and that works well for them being fairly nutrient and energy dense.

Comment

RileyJ - Didn't even realise I misread the name of the FB page you suggested, just checked out the international one, It's huge, much bigger than the Aussie one I've found the Aussie one a great resource but will check out the international one tool, you can never learn too much information

Bones is a little tricky with my guys. Anything small gets swallowed whole so chicken necks, wings, feet etc etc is out of the picture. Tried a turkey drumstick with Koda but he chewed it into small insanely sharp pieces which scared the crap out of me, so I'm not buying them any more. Pondering offering Koda a turkey neck. I know Finn would try to swallow one whole (He's a gulper) but Koda might be okay. Been looking for brisket bone to try but can't seem to source it easily, will keep looking. They always used to get marrow bones and I never had issues, but I've been avoiding them because they are so hard on their teeth.
                At the moment my favourite bones to give the dogs is pieces of Kangaroo tail from Pet Barn One of the few things that doesn't get swallowed whole, chewed in to sharp pieces or break teeth, haha! Oh and they sometimes get cow horns if they're available from local farmers I know who have had cows de-horned.

Gotta say I'm shamelessly proud of the condition of my dogs teeth thanks to the bones they get! So many dogs now days have mouths full of rotting teeth, it's awful!
                14797285_1391578734194897_1688316018_n.jpg Screen Shot 2016-10-20 at 11.15.44 PM.jpg Screen Shot 2016-10-20 at 11.15.58 PM.jpg

Kalacreek - I also hated the smell of Big Dog BARF. None of my animals would touch it, dogs, cats or ferrets :/

I'd imagine my dogs have a much lower energy needs than your dogs! You find what works best and stick with that I reckon

Comment

http://www.vetsallnatural.com.au/wp-...012pp%20DL.pdf

'maddogdodge' -

Comment

Originally posted by RileyJ View Post
                    I didn't watch the video I just looked around the website and read about it, so yes my mistake with the calculations!

It sounds good, hope it goes well for your pups, let us know what they (and you) think

I find it odd that they have a product like this for cats though, considering cats are obligate carnivores.

Comment

Originally posted by RileyJ View Post
                      I didn't watch the video I just looked around the website and read about it, so yes my mistake with the calculations!

It sounds good, hope it goes well for your pups, let us know what they (and you) think

I find it odd that they have a product like this for cats though, considering cats are obligate carnivores.

Comment

That is totally expensive. I want to share this article you can find some good information there: http://newdogowners.com/best-cheap-dog-food/
                        sigpic

Comment

I use VAN. Though I probably feed less than what's recommended on the bag. My dogs love it.

For bones for chewing, I only give mine brisket bones. They don't splinter at all. They can be a bit hard to find, though some Woolies stores stock them. And so do a one butchers but you may have to ask as what they often have pre-packaged for dogs are marrow bones and cut-offs.

Comment

Watch out with the quantities of the Vets All Natural Complete Mix. While there is absolutely nothing wrong with it, I and many others have found that it stacks on the weight at the recommended quantities. I think it was Nekhbet that agreed that if you want to get weight on your dog, VAN in suggested amounts will do it!

I used to make my own mix, but now that V&F are getting more mature (no, they aren't really, their chronological age just keeps getting higher!!) I have been feeding pre-prepared BARF and lots of bones. A typical week sees my guys eat bones every day for breakfast and 3 dinners, and BARF with muesli (Big Dog call it muesli, VAN calls it Complete Mix, similar product) 4 nights per week. I feed each dog 1.5 patties plus muesli as their dinner on those 4 nights, so a box lasts me a week. A box, at $22 plus bones and I'd say I feed both dogs for around $40 per week. Both dogs consume around 1-1.2kg of food per day.

Long time ago now I posted what I was putting in to my home made mix... I'll post it if I can find it... and making sure I had all the ingredients to hand and defrosted was never an issue, but some may find the time component less convenient that pre-packed BARF.
                            sigpic

Comment

Interesting you said that 'Villain & Flirtt' ! I never follow the feeding directions on the pack - but I did follow the Mix plus water directions - 200 ml water with 200 gms of Mix. I found it really 'gluggy'.

Is that usual ? Do you need to add more water to it ?

I have just started with VAN - my 2 had their first meal last night with it. My 2 get bones for breakfast and I was hoping that VAN with some sort of mince/fish would be for their dinner.
                              My 2 ate it - but both were checking with me all the time - to make sure it was OK to eat it !

Comment

Working...
                              X