Kombucha anyone?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kombucha anyone?

Has anyone given their dog kombucha scoby's?
    I always have more than I need and have read some people dehydrate them and give them to their dog for a chew.

There are few reports of side effects unless over consumed.

ive seen what my dogs get their faces into in the bush, full of bacteria. I doubt this would do any harm, but why bother? Its not part of natural food group for dogs.
    If it dont itch, dont scratch it. Its a waste product, keep breathing deeply as you throw it in the bin, or down yer neck oyster stylie.

Comment

There you are 'farrview' - a sideline business for you making dog treats !

I don't see anything wrong at all with this - BUT - as with everything - moderation is the key !

Comment

Hi Farrview

My ancient cousin was getting into this stuff - she lived to 90 something so it must not be too dreadful.

But I've never heard of anyone wanting to give it to their dogs. The sugar wouldn't be good for starters.

Personally - not my thing. I rank it right there with homeopathy.
        sigpic

Comment

Thanks Bernie, I have no problem putting them in the compost bin.
          The sugar is consumed by the bacteria. I think the compost will continue to get the scobys for the time being.
          Probably not fair to rank it with homeopathy, kombucha is an ancient drink just not common in our culture. It is by no means a new thing.

Comment

Maybe try some of these for dog treats ?

https://www.google.com.au/webhp?sour...scoby+for+dogs

Comment

agreed that K - tea is new to our culture and maybe ancient but that doesn't make it proven healthy (or unhealthy).

The stuff I tried was very sweet. Much sweeter than I drink my tea.
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Hyacinth View Post
                agreed that K - tea is new to our culture and maybe ancient but that doesn't make it proven healthy (or unhealthy).

The stuff I tried was very sweet. Much sweeter than I drink my tea.
                Then it was not left to brew long enough. Mine is nearly but not quite vinegar..lol It is meant to be tart. Oh well each to her own.

Comment

before this thread dies, can someone post a link to this god awful looking stuff, and the benefits of eating what appears to be inedible product to me? IM such a philistine, i had to look it up. What i saw very much resembled every mug ive ever retrieved from a teenagers window cill.

And you eat that? mould? What's it for?

Comment

You don't eat the scoby just the tea.
                    Kombucha: Is it really good for you?

Comment

Gawd. I suppose brewing anything has risks of unexpected toxicity from beer to heroin...

I don't think I could get 100% sterile without a lab and a double door and a suit... so I guess food grade sterile might be enough? Except you leave it to brew and grow what ever is in there and you don't out it's actually a batch of salmonella and botox until it's too late?
                      sigpic

Comment

Actually you can see and smell it if a scoby goes wrong. I havent had any problems. I am careful about hygiene but not more than when cooking.

Comment

I cooked dinner at my brother's place with chicken they'd bought two days before on the weekend from the supermarket. I suspect it wasn't very fresh when they bought it because it was very stinky when I undid the plastic bag it was in. And there was some really menky brown bits - that I scraped out.

Cooked and ate it anyway - and so far I've been ok.

But the cat wouldn't eat it. And she ate the stuff I'd gotten from the butcher the previous week - which would have been fresh that day. Ie their pack would have been opened the same day and I cooked it that day too ie much fresher.

But I would not expect chicken to get that stinky that fast either.

But I know when wine smells wrong and I'm not drinking that.
                          sigpic

Comment

you just drink the tea lmao, i thought the oyster looking piece of crap on the top was some kinda oyster looking thang.

See this is why i need to follow recipes lol

Comment

I drink several bottles of Kombucha every week. I just love that stuff. For my collie though I have been giving him some dog specific probiotic that just popped up on my facebook news feed a few weeks ago. I think he really likes it and he seems to be quite happy. https://bit.ly/2OwTj8X

Comment

Working...
                              X