A Question for Clubsprint

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Question for Clubsprint

Since you didn't answer this question previously, i thought i'd start a thread so you can't miss it.

One of the few sources of national data is Monash University statistician Linda Watson, who has been collating figures from the states and territories for a PhD thesis on the effectiveness of regulation in preventing dog attacks.

Watson has counted at least 33 dog attack deaths in Australia since 1979, but apart from the dog that killed Ayen Chol, only one other culprit been described as a pit bull cross.
    Dog fight brews over tough laws | The Australian

You continually support BSL based on the fact that "pitbulls" are killers and pose a big risk to the community. Can you please explain why we are only banning "pitbulls" when out of 33 dog attack deaths, only 2 in the last 32 years have been attributed to "pitbulls"?

Also, if you're still supporting BSL after that stat, what other breeds are we going to ban? Or do you think its better to make the owners responsible no matter what the breed?

Is this a shit stir?

One member feels strongly for the banning of APBT's and posts about it, then is baited.

If this continues I will close the BSL section for a month.

Comment

No no starts crying warrrrrrrr. Warrrrr Laughs i just posted a movie for club to see
      You can look too
      If you are reading this then you're doing just fine as to
      I'm not going to tell ya I lost the ' , . ? ! " Keys to my head
      No grammar no problem I don't know how to fly it any way Bye

Comment

Originally posted by puggerup View Post
        Is this a shit stir?.
        rilly wheres my shit stiring spoon laughs
        If you are reading this then you're doing just fine as to
        I'm not going to tell ya I lost the ' , . ? ! " Keys to my head
        No grammar no problem I don't know how to fly it any way Bye

Comment

Is this a shit stir?

One member feels strongly for the banning of APBT's and posts about it, then is baited.

If this continues I will close the BSL section for a month.
          Hi puggerup, this thread was not intended to be a "shit stir" at all. Just trying to get an answer out of a member who conveniently replies to some posts but not others. It would be nice if he/she answered questions like this when put to him/her - i understand its easy enough to miss posts so in this case i decided to make a whole new thread. Hope that clears up my intentions, monitor the thread and do as you wish

Comment

This is the second thread directed at clubsprint. I hope I don't see anymore directed at this member over this subject.

Comment

Originally posted by mymatejack View Post
              Since you didn't answer this question previously, i thought i'd start a thread so you can't miss it.

Dog fight brews over tough laws | The Australian

You continually support BSL based on the fact that "pitbulls" are killers and pose a big risk to the community. Can you please explain why we are only banning "pitbulls" when out of 33 dog attack deaths, only 2 in the last 32 years have been attributed to "pitbulls"?

Also, if you're still supporting BSL after that stat, what other breeds are we going to ban? Or do you think its better to make the owners responsible no matter what the breed?
              The questions are loaded. They're like that old nugget, answer yes or no, have you stopped beating your wife?
              Pibulls are killers, two deaths is two deaths that didn't need to happen.
              Is 2 deaths OK by you? Is it OK that two people die (probably children) so that you can have a Pitbull?

Incidently, taken from the article you refer to here, some of the killers have been a Siberian husky, four bull mastiffs, a rottweiler, and crossbreeds of boxer, greyhound, pit bull and mastiffs so I'd be concerned if I owned a mastif.
              2 out of 32 equals approx 6%. Does the number of Pitbulls representesd as a percentage of the total dog population in Australia come anywhere near that?

Also from the article you referred to
              In Canberra, however, RSPCA scientific officer Jade Norris says there is "some evidence that certain dog breeds have a greater genetic predisposition towards aggressive behaviour.

"They might also have a lower trigger point for aggression and due to their physical size and strength they may have a greater capacity to inflict serious injury compared to other breeds."
              Interesting. Let's see what's going on in Calgary (Doesn't that city get held up as the mecca for Pitbull owners?) "After years with Labrador retrievers at the top of Calgary's most-likely to bite list, pitbull and pitbull-type terriers have suddenly taken a dubious lead, passing both shepherds and retrievers."
              In Calgary? No!
              Article Biting criticism of dog owners | Columnists | Opinion | Calgary Sun Lets see what else we can find in Calgary about Pitbulls.
              What does an actual Calgary resident think?Calgary Pit Bull Attacks
              Lastly this link Pitbull Attacks, Maulings, and Killings
              Linda Watsons research only talks about deaths, it doesn't talk about maulings and bites. The evidence about these dogs is overwhelming.

Comment

Off topic a bit Clubsprint, but the dog in your avatar looks like it's laughing at you.
                It also looks like a bulldog who used to live with us

Comment

Biting criticism of dog owners | Columnists | Opinion | Calgary Sun

Is a well written article
                  sigpicPets are forever

Comment

Off topic a bit Clubsprint, but the dog in your avatar looks like it's laughing at you.
                    Must agree with that...

I thought it was laughing after being photo shopped....

And yes...Apology for the OT

Will have a longer read of CS and Newf's links this arvo...
                    sigpic
                    ... Jade ...

Aha yeah me too! wee wee or pee pee and poo poo's or poopie

Comment

Glad you like this Avatar, I thought it fitting. My kelpie X smiles at you when he's excited.

Comment

Excuse the tear stains.. they were particularly bad that day.
                        This is Bella laughing her butt off at Ollie
                        Attached Files

Comment

Now that is a smilie face
                          sigpicPets are forever

Comment

She used to crack up at Ollie all the time

Comment

Clubsprint

Do you actually read the articles you link?

From the one Newfsie linked agani.
                              "Breed legislation doesn't work because it's not a dog problem, it's a people problem and it's getting owners to understand the need to properly train and socialize their dog."
                              Your argument that two kids died that wouldn't have if there were no pitbulls - applies equally to cars and backyard swimming pools and baths.

Your argument that the kids would have lived - doesn't really hold because there are lots of other (preventable) ways for kids to die young.

Possibly the most life threatening and entirely preventable thing to happen to modern day kids across the western world is "sedentary death syndrome" - and walking a well trained dog of any breed would alleviate this.

Parents as role models for a healthy lifestyle - Your Online Green Magazine and Green Directory

Badly bred and neglected guard dogs are a tiny drop in the ocean compared to this.
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X