Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bitch due to have pups? (unexpected complications which may arise)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bitch due to have pups? (unexpected complications which may arise)

My wolfhound was put to a another wolfhound on 31/10/11 and all the online due calculators are saying she is due today can anyone confirm this for me plz? This is her first litter and she is huge!!
    Last edited by puggerup; 03-01-2012, 04:24 PM.

Yep if the online calculators say she is due then she is due.. it sounds about right.... 9 weeks.
    If she hasn't delivered in 2 days take her to the vet.

Comment

Thanks still no pups here

Comment

Should happen by tomorrow as long as you know the exact day of mating.
        Unlike humans, dogs don't tend to go over unless there is a problem.

Comment

Hope so,yes 31st was exact day she was mated

Comment

How is she today?

If she is panting lots she is in labour

Comment

Pretty didn't pant. She was with me, completely normal, she got up, walked down the hall to the whelping box. Lucky I got up to go to the kitchen..looked down the hallway and she was "hooking" got there just in time to watch the first being born.
              sigpic

Any posts made under the name of Di_dee1 one can be used by anyone as I do not give a rats.

Comment

Approx from 58 to 63 days from mating. The actual date needs to be calculated from ovulation rather than mating. So if you have any record of the date that she became receptive (ie. standing for the male) you will be able to predict much more accurately.

A vet check around now can't hurt if you're worried and able to get to one.
                sigpic

Comment

The online calculator goes from the matings rather than ovulation

Some dogs don't pant but most do.

Comment

Ok, so if you don't know ovulation date, she will be due in the range of 29/12/11 and 2/1/12.

So I wouldn't be panicking just yet. Does she have milk? Has she tried to make a nest in her whelping box?

And, most importantly, do you have a thermometer? If you start taking her temp twice a day you will notice a drop about 24hrs before whelping starts.
                    sigpic

Comment

Yes she has milk that started yesterday, no I haven't taken any temps, no sign of nesting tonight she is panting heavily and just seems uneasy moving lots she lays down only for a few minutes then gets up walking around then does it all over again, shes staying very close to me rather than being on her bed like she normally would

Comment

I wouldn't be panicking still. My last litter my girl was HUGE (she had 12...) and the last few days she was very panty - oh, and she had milk for almost a week before. Even though it was winter she was hot in addition to just being so uncomfortable.

Wolfhounds do feel the heat at the best of times, and being heavily pregnant means it is hard to get, and stay, comfortable. She will be clingy, just hang out with her. I set up a bed on the couch next to the whelping box and pretty much had to hold my girl's hand (paw!) until the pups started arriving and she got busy!

I had a couple of long nights in the days before whelping as I wasn't sure when she was starting due to the panting and restlessness, and a couple of extra days off work to watch her. Not that I was complaining about that! But was getting impatient...

Watch for discharge and any signs of distress like crying or hunching in pain. Green discharge before a pup is born means straight to vet as it is a sign of placenta separating. After first pup it's normal.

Clear discharge or a mucous-y plug that may be pink stained means things are underway. But pups may be a way off still. Once she starts straining things should happen fast.
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Liss05 View Post
                          Yes she has milk that started yesterday, no I haven't taken any temps, no sign of nesting tonight she is panting heavily and just seems uneasy moving lots she lays down only for a few minutes then gets up walking around then does it all over again, shes staying very close to me rather than being on her bed like she normally would
                          Sounds like labour to me.

Comment

They can fool you. It could be, or it could not. We had nearly four days of that before labour recently - "I'm hot! I'm uncomfortable! Damn these blankets they aren't right! Humans! Fix things, I'm hot... I'm uncomfortable!"

Liss did she seem receptive for a few days before mating? Or was she mated on her first receptive day? Is ok if you don't know, just trying to narrow things down.
                            sigpic

Comment

I think she only had the one mating from what I am reading Natty

Comment

Working...
                              X