Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stud not keen

Hi all,
    I am new to this forum and would love some advice.

Before I start FYI; my boy has been hip/elbow scored and had a full dna profile and recieved a clear for all inheritable disease relevant to the breed. We wanted to breed him with our girl but she failed her hip/elbow scores and so she has since been desexed and we are hoping to stud him.

We are studding our pure golden retriever boy (2.5yrs) to another goldie (almost 3ys mains papered) and she is currently on day 10 of her heat cycle. She is vying for his attention, humping him, flagging, backing up and standing for him when he mounts her. He will hump for a couple of times and then get down and walk off. He shows no signs of arousal at all during this time. He will lick and sniff her a lot and have the occasional attempt at mounting but just doesnt seem to 'get it up' for lack of a better term! Both are first timers which we know is not ideal. Any ideas on why it may not be happening for him?

Thanks heaps in advance!

Maybe ask his breeder?

Really glad you've done some health checks on your pairings.

The best setup for new breeders - is help from experienced breeders or experienced vets in dog breeding.

Hopefully your dog is not like a Panda or maybe gay (does happen in the animal world). And sometimes - one dog just doesn't like the one you love. In humans - this can actually be the sniff test - fail ie the men who pass a fertile woman's sniff test are the ones with most complementary (or different) genes. Maybe the golden girl is too much like a sister and your boy is not interested because of that. But I'm just guessing. Doesn't seem to stop some breeders making pairings this way.
    sigpic

Comment

Yep would consult his breeder or get his breeder to recommend a vet. Breeders tend to know the vets that are experienced with breeding dogs.

Comment

Hi Hyacinth and Kalacreek,

Thank you so much for your replies. I found an experienced vet who breeds dogs and was told to have another go today and then book in with him for an appointment tomorrow.

And today our boy achieved a 15min tie with her! Murphys Law haha. Perhaps he knew something that she didn't and waited till she was truly ready!

Comment

You will have to come and update us when you know if there are puppies or not.
          sigpic

Comment

Yes I would say the male knew when it was time from the sound of it.

Comment

she was just not quite ready
              sigpicPets are forever

Comment

Hi all,

Just thought that I would update you all with the good news that 7 beautiful healthy puppies were delivered - 5 girls, 2 boys. All will be leaving for their loving homes soon (5 had homes before they were born!), conceived mothers day ready for homes not far from fathers day!

Comment

Wooo! I hope happy healthy lives for all!

Pictures of the group???

Comment

thank you so much for the update - glad everything has turned out well for you.

Remember to follow up with the new homes occasionally and especially around the 8 month age - cos that's when they can get hard to handle... to make sure they stay in good homes.
                    sigpic

Comment

Great news
                      sigpicPets are forever

Comment

Hi all! Sorry I do not log in frequently! Thanks, I can't seem to work out how to attach a photo??? We only owned Dad as we studded him but we have some photos from our visit at 4 weeks and ones they sent us as they were growing! Mums owners were really good at screening homes and most were lined up before pups were born so when we visited them at 4 weeks most of the puppies had names already and had very excited new familys waiting for them. Thanks for the tip of following up at 8mths, I will be sure to pass that on

Comment

Hi Sandy

Good to see you writing again. If you click on the little icon third from the right above the post you're typing... looks like a square with black dots in the corner and if your screen is big enough - a picture of a tree in a lawn... Lets you load up pictures from your device. Browse to where the picture is, select it then click on "upload"

Attached Files
                          sigpic

Comment

Working...
                          X