STRONG crate wanted 90cm wide approx on longest side

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• STRONG crate wanted 90cm wide approx on longest side

Hi I am looking for a Strong crate for a dog with SEVERE separation anxiety. Have looked and tried all other options.

Wire crate recently chewed through. I need one with either wire closer together so she cannot get her teeth around it (and STRONG) or a much stronger build. I need to keep her contained (will be repeating crate training) and safe from damage herself on the crate. Also from damaging her teeth etc.

Please do not suggest alternatives ie adaptil, behavoural, thundershirts, medication (natural and prescription) etc etc as I have exhausted these avenues and don't wish to rehash them - this is hard enough. Please be assured that I am working with our vet and have tried behavoural methods etc..

Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by belsam; 29-01-2017, 12:08 AM.

I'm thinking you might need to custom build one.

Another dog I met who used to smash her teeth on crate wire - she did quite well in one enclosed with tight shade cloth. But those aren't made any more.

The next thought would be one made out of or lined with plywood that she could not get her teeth into. Like they use for transporting zoo animals. probably need to start around 12 ml ply.

Someone made this one for his dog - but I would not make the hole in the roof like it has if you've got a dog that bites into it.

http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum...g-crate-2.html

And I'd try to find a way to insulate against sound, and have some sort of displacement bite attack toy that is secured in the crate that the dog can attack instead of the crate.

https://www.aussiedog.com.au/product...v=6cc98ba2045f
    sigpic

Comment

Hi Hyacinth,

I think you are right - the more I look and think about it, the more I am thinking the same about having one built.

Thank you for the links, I am having a look at both. Unfortunately plywood won't be suitable as she is urinating in the crate but I have been thinking about other metal options made in such a way that she can not hurt herself/her teeth. I would be putting the frame on the outside etc so that she only sees a smooth surface/small but strong metal bars placed close together.

It is amazing that there is such a variety in America which you can purchase (I had been looking at Impact crates high anxiety crate) but to import them to Australia does not leave much change out of $2000! I am wondering if this is a business opportunity if there is enough need for it!

Thanks for the wooden ideas, I already had some ideas but this has made me think of other options too.

I used to put her wire crate under a desk which is solid on 3 sides and will go back to this as I think it made her feel safer.

Now to find someone to weld it for me, at a rate I can afford.

I am in the process of getting her used to the old wire crate (under supervision) by feeding her using a kong in the (made safe) remains of it so she hopefully starts to think of it as a good place again but will build or have built a new one before I leave her alone it. Fingers crossed!

Thanks again.

Originally posted by Hyacinth View Post
      I'm thinking you might need to custom build one.

Another dog I met who used to smash her teeth on crate wire - she did quite well in one enclosed with tight shade cloth. But those aren't made any more.

The next thought would be one made out of or lined with plywood that she could not get her teeth into. Like they use for transporting zoo animals. probably need to start around 12 ml ply.

Someone made this one for his dog - but I would not make the hole in the roof like it has if you've got a dog that bites into it.

http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum...g-crate-2.html

And I'd try to find a way to insulate against sound, and have some sort of displacement bite attack toy that is secured in the crate that the dog can attack instead of the crate.

https://www.aussiedog.com.au/product...v=6cc98ba2045f

Comment

I don't know what state you are in but in SA there are people (welders) who custom build things of stainless steel - mostly for workshop benches or commercial kitchens but they will make anything you want. I know one who made the set up on the back of his ute which included a dog crate. Unfortunately that one used the square chicken wire (forget the actual name of it) but it is something a dog can get their teeth into if they try.

If you make the bottom of the crate out of marine ply and varnish it - it will be pee (and seawater proof) for at least a year or two - and then you need to reapply the varnish. But I think I'd be lining it with vinyl or something.

There are also plastic welders... who could make a plastic box. And then you could just scrub it out.

Can't help wondering about the dog's quality of life but if you're making progress then maybe it will all work out in the end.

I think the anxious ones like a space that is enclosed and dark on all sides - with ventilation. And you could build water dispensers into it ( as if an anxious dog would want to drink or eat anything).
        sigpic

Comment

I don't know what state you are in but in SA there are people (welders) who custom build things of stainless steel - mostly for workshop benches or commercial kitchens but they will make anything you want. I know one who made the set up on the back of his ute which included a dog crate. Unfortunately that one used the square chicken wire (forget the actual name of it) but it is something a dog can get their teeth into if they try.

If you make the bottom of the crate out of marine ply and varnish it - it will be pee (and seawater proof) for at least a year or two - and then you need to reapply the varnish. But I think I'd be lining it with vinyl or something.

There are also plastic welders... who could make a plastic box. And then you could just scrub it out.

Can't help wondering about the dog's quality of life but if you're making progress then maybe it will all work out in the end.

I think the anxious ones like a space that is enclosed and dark on all sides - with ventilation. And you could build water dispensers into it ( as if an anxious dog would want to drink or eat anything).
          sigpic

Comment

Hi,

Why not look at timber (untreated) walls and roof 12-25mm thick with external frame work and 4mm ply cladding on the outside to create a cavity for insulation with a wire mesh floor placed on feet slightly off the ground?

That will give the pup a cool, dry, sheltered enclosed space where they won't be able to chew through the sides but still allow water to flow through. You could even add a drawer system to catch the urine. If you use a tight mesh it would serve as a false floor with drainage.

The only danger here is if the pup is likely to chew on the ply. The chemicals in the glue and the treating agents in the layers of the ply and treated timber are potentially very harmful (cyanide).

If you check out gumtree there are plenty of people offering welding or handyman jobs for cheap. That would be the best way to get it in under budget. The actual welding is a very easy job with a mig welder. The most expensive part would be the materials. Stainless and galv are trickier to weld therefore more expensive but untreated steel once painted (Properly with rustoleum) is just as protected as stainless and galv.

It sucks that you're in this situation but it sounds like you're trying everything to help the poor pup out. Out of curiosity how old is it and how long have you had it?

If you're in SA I can help you with a design and the materials etc but I can't weld safely anymore with my sight the way it is.

Pete.

Comment

http://k9pro.com.au/
              https://www.google.com.au/webhp?sour...=rescue+remedy

Comment

Working...
              X