This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help!!

Hi everyone! We got a whippet pup about 4 weeks ago now, he is now 11 weeks old. He bites, howls, barks and is not taking to toilet training. I understand some of this is our fault but what can we do to amend it???

Hey first welcome to the forum.

I am not a Whippet owner but ill try and help you out, a dogs nature is to do the following things although as owners we dont want them too so its our job to train them otherwise.

How to Stop Your Dog's Excessive Barking | eHow.com

Puppy & Dog Biting - Training Your Puppy or Dog About Biting

Dog Training Basics - Potty Training Basics

Hope they help.

Comment

Hi I own two whippets so I might be able to help but I don't know how much as you didn't give much info. All puppies "bite" as just like children this is their most sensitive part so therefore they can feel things better by gnawing chewing and biting on things, it also gives comfort just as it does a child when they are teething to chew on things. Perhaps you could buy him some softer toys that he is allowed to chew. With the howling and barking how do you react? when my dogs howl or bark as long as there is nothing actually wrong with them I ignore them and then when they are quiet I will give them a pat and some one on one time so that they know that they get the good things for the good behaivour. With the toilet training all I can say is it takes time, my 1 year old will still sometimes wee on the floor, so my back door now stays open all night so that he knows he can go outside when ever he needs to. Also with whippets some people say that they are very distructive I have not found this with my Whippets but mine are also obedience trained so maybe this has made a difference. I also found that when I had one whippet I may as well of had ten and when I had two whippets it was the best decision I could have made. They keep each other warm give each other company and keep each other out of mischief ( to a certain degree!!!) I hope this has helped and I hope I haven't rambled to much.
      sigpic

Comment

Whippets need to be pleasured.. they are dogs which get bord often. But i they can ran and race after a lure or a tennisbal or a frisbee it would work.. Cyle or walking differents routess.. against bitting give them a lot of bone and things to byte on..
        Regard's Tim

Breeder of whippets

Comment

I have two Whippet puppies + 3 adult Whippets.

If you wouldn't mind giving a bit more detail then perhaps I might have some suggestions??

Can I ask where you got your Whippet puppy from and if you have contacted the breeder to ask for some ideas/help??

I have been helping out my puppy owners here and there, your breeder may do the same for you.

and welcome to the forum.

Comment

Welcome to the forum.
            Another whippet breeder here.
            You have had some sound advice here.
            It really sounds like he is testing the boundaries, seeing how far he can push it.
            Give him a place in the pack and he should settle.
            Good luck with him!

Breeding, Showing, Training and general crazy making!!!
            If you seek understanding listen to the music, not the song.

Comment

This post was first made in 2008, someone has got it from way back and posted to bring it forward. I am assuming the person is no longer around.
              sigpic

Comment

So it was. Thanks Cate.

Comment

My Charlie is a Whippet mix, & when we adopted him on the 1st January 2010 from Ballarat RSPCA he was just like your Whippet. 2 months or 3 later he started calming down & not yapping, although we have one family member who is 24-7 at home with Charlie, so yeah. I think your Whippet might take time like Charlie, but remember the key to success is patience & devotion. Don't rush!
                  From Charlie & their hot & sunny home town Melbourne, Australia

Comment

Originally posted by **Hyper_Lil_Charlie** View Post
                    My Charlie is a Whippet mix, & when we adopted him on the 1st January 2010 from Ballarat RSPCA he was just like your Whippet. 2 months or 3 later he started calming down & not yapping, although we have one family member who is 24-7 at home with Charlie, so yeah. I think your Whippet might take time like Charlie, but remember the key to success is patience & devotion. Don't rush!
                    Hello there.

I know you are new here but if you may take a look at the date this thread was created I am sure we will find that the owner has found out everything they needed.

Thanks for helping though

Comment

help with my new whippet puppy

Hi everyone, i am getting a four month old whippet this week. He has been with his mum and dad and sibling until now.Any advice on house training etc, would be great thanks Christine

Comment

Originally posted by captainchrissie View Post
                        Hi everyone, i am getting a four month old whippet this week. He has been with his mum and dad and sibling until now.Any advice on house training etc, would be great thanks Christine
                        Hi there

How about you start a new thread regarding this

This is a very old thread

Cheers

Thread closed
                        sigpic

Comment

Working...
                        X