Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is my puppy a kelpie?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Is my puppy a kelpie?

    I got a dog from a rescue. He was found in towac colorado which is the outskirts of colorado. he was found with a bunch of heelers (austrailan cattle dogs) there were alot of heelers there with his pattern on there face and around there eyes. the guessed he was mixed with rotti because of the coloring. However the vets dont think he is a rotti.

    Also whenever I tell people he is rotti they dont believe me. Given the circumstances of how he was found I think he can be a kelpie. I think he is a kelpie how about you? Also he is 24lbs at 4 months.

    https://ibb.co/mVEJGQ
    https://ibb.co/ckNii5
    https://ibb.co/kH1nAk
    https://ibb.co/iX97Ak
    https://ibb.co/c8tZqk
    Last edited by Hyacinth; 24-04-2017, 06:16 PM. Reason: fixed spelling of Heeler. I know they can be hell but they're not named for that.

  • #2
    If you were in Australia I'd definitely say Kelpie or kelpie X but how common are Kelpies where you live?

    Those colours could come from GSD perhaps...

    It's so hard to tell with puppies, will be interesting to see what he looks like full grown!

    Comment


    • #3
      Actually, I have been seeing a lot of dogs that could pass as kelpies lately. Also, there is a lot of rescue missions in colorado for kelpies. I think that in the outskirts of colorado they are pretty common. The circumstances of how he was found is what makes me think he is a kelpie. This is because he was found with alot of heelers and half of the heelers had his coloring on the face and around the eyes. Also his size makes me think kelpie. He is skinner than hellers at his age so I guessed the slim figure was due to the kelpie?

      Comment


      • #4
        Does the dog in those photos belong to you ?

        Is the photo of the tail in the second photo usual ? Is/has this dog suffered from a broken tail ?

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by RileyJ View Post
          Does the dog in those photos belong to you ?

          Is the photo of the tail in the second photo usual ? Is/has this dog suffered from a broken tail ?
          That type of tail can occur. My working bred BC complete with working BC pedigree papers has a similar tail, it is just plain weird. I always laugh and say a pug must have slipped in there somewhere down the line lol.

          Comment


          • #6
            LOL ‘Kalacreek’ – it is not only pugs you have to worry about ! The only problem is this OP was talking about this dog being a kelpie and not a BC !

            I really doubt there would be much or any kelpie in your dog ! If you look at the usual breeds in your area I think you will find something else that could explain the tail set on this dog !

            https://www.google.com.au/search?q=c...ih=922&dpr=1.1

            Comment


            • #7
              His tail is not broken it is curled. He was found in the outskirts of colorado which is way different then breeds found in the city. Also, Colorado has a lot of kelpies so it's not an area thing.

              Comment


              • #8
                Also what is BC , sorry new to this

                Comment


                • #9
                  Wow I didn't notice that tail at first! Curled tail like that is very unusual for a kelpie as far as I'm aware. All the Kelpies around here have straight reasonably short tails with a bit of a brush of hair on them.

                  I know dobermans with tails can often have it curl around like that, nothing else on your pup looks doberman though.

                  BC is an abbreviation for Border Collie

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Yes the dog belongs to me thats why im here lol

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Yes his tail is nothing like the kelpies i have seen. If he has it in him he has to be mixed. To me he does look like one though but I will post the DNA test when I do it

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Which dna test will you do? I think the embark is much better than the wisdom personally - it updates as more data comes in.

                        I kind of want to say tricolour smooth collie cross? the the shape of his nose with it's minimal stop and the shape of his semi errect ears



                        could have kelpie in him. certainly not a recent heeler x though. Be interesting to see how he grows.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Never heard of that breed before he looks like that one to me especial the coloring on the back of the neck as well Thanks for your advice on the DNA testing as well!
                          Last edited by saeah568340; 23-04-2017, 05:12 PM.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by RileyJ View Post
                            LOL ‘Kalacreek’ – it is not only pugs you have to worry about ! The only problem is this OP was talking about this dog being a kelpie and not a BC !

                            I really doubt there would be much or any kelpie in your dog ! If you look at the usual breeds in your area I think you will find something else that could explain the tail set on this dog !

                            https://www.google.com.au/search?q=c...ih=922&dpr=1.1
                            I think if can be in a Border collies it can be in a kelpie! The pug was a joke I use for the breeder. My girl comes from the best Irish ISDS and Australian working lines lol! still she has this weird tail that causes people to ask if she is a cross which she definitely isn't lol!!

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by ThistleTheDog View Post
                              Which dna test will you do? I think the embark is much better than the wisdom personally - it updates as more data comes in.

                              I kind of want to say tricolour smooth collie cross? the the shape of his nose with it's minimal stop and the shape of his semi errect ears



                              could have kelpie in him. certainly not a recent heeler x though. Be interesting to see how he grows.
                              You would be surprised. I have seen quite a few heeler/ kelpie or heeler/ BC matings and sometimes the puppies will throw very definitely to one parents breed in particular. If the parents were kelpie /heeler mixes themselves it is even more likely.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X