X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Greyhounds and Hot Weather

First time post.

Advice please.

My wife and I will be relocating to NSW from UK this September to spend our retirement with our family in Kiama.

We have a lovely 3 year old female rescue Greyhound, Daisy, who lives with us & our 2 cats and has such a lovely temperament with other dogs and our grandchildren.

We are very concerned that Greyhounds do not seem to be very welcome in the dog walking areas around Kiama.
    The signs in these exercise areas are worded in such a way that seems to imply Greyhounds are considered a dangerous breed and are not welcome.

During our last visit to Kiama in January this year, I spoke to a gentleman from Kiama council about a different subject, (snakes, in an overgrown part of my daughters land). I Mentioned our concern about these signs, and he agreed they are rather ambiguously worded and thought the subject should be reviewed at a future council meeting.

We walk our Daisy here in UK with several other breed of dogs ranging from Pugs to Labradoodles, Spanish water dogs, Spaniels, German shepherds, Dobermans, Rottweilers.
    Sometimes there are up to 13 separate breeds going round the fields together no muzzles and all off lead and our Daisy has never shown any sign of aggression to any of them, its simply not in her nature.
    We are responsible dog owners and if Daisy has to be muzzled and on a lead, in public areas, we would comply with this, however its such a beautiful sight to see her running flat out and enjoying herself, it would be such a shame if she was unable to do this anymore. She also loves running in our salt water creeks, so she would be in paradise on the beach.

We would love to hear from other Greyhound owners in Kiama or anywhere else who could offer any advice about this.

The subject We are most concerned about is, hot weather.
    Although Kiama is much cooler than the Gold Coast, where our family used to live, we think on the whole it is still warmer than where we live at present in the South East of England.

We are having a very warm summer in UK this year and Daisy hates it.
    We only walk her early morning and evening times when it is cooler, but still she dodges from one patch of shade to another, and sometimes she looks quite distressed by the time we get her home, even after a short walk of 15 to 20 mins.
    With this in mind and the long flight and quarantine, Would it be cruel for us to bring her to Kiama?

We have very good friends who have several acres of land here in Norfolk, with horses and other livestock.
    They also have a male greyhound, who would love to have Daisy as a friend, and they would look after her if we decided it would be to stressful to take her to Kiama with us.

Can any Greyhound owners in NSW or anywhere in OZ please advise us on what we should do. Daisy's well being must come before or reluctance to let her go, we would hate to be cruel thinking we were being kind.

Thanks for any advice you can offer.

Terry And Linda.
    Essex UK.

Hey Griffo,

Don't have a long time to post but will try and help quickly.

I have a 4yo retired greyhound that lives at home, i live in a rather hot area that gets up to 45 degree's Celsius in summer, Tony (greyhound) does get quite tired and lethargic even more than usual lol but with plenty of water and shade he is fine.

I dont see that there would be any issue keeping your dog in Kiama if your willing to bring her over.

Comment

Hi Griffo,

I echo Morgan's sentiments. I really don't think there would be too much of an issue. Dogs do re-acclimatise themselves, just as humans do. You may find it takes her a little while to do so, and in that time maybe some extra with swimming, maybe a clam shell in the yard for her to cool off, that sort of thing could come in handy.

I think in a nutshell, if I was Daisy I would rather be with my family in a warmer environment, than without them.

A few greyhound owners here on this forum, I'm sure they'll be along shortly to give you expert advice.
      [CENTER][SIGPIC][/SIGPIC][/CENTER]

Comment

Hello Devil's Advocate,

Thank you so much for your friendly advice, its just what we are looking for.
        Daisy is 3 and we have had her since she retired in March 2009, and it would be very hard to be without her now.

Im sure we will be in contact again soon. just got to get my head round this website.

Many thanks
        Griffo.

Comment

I also think you are best to bring her. There is always the air conditioner.
          sigpic

Any posts made under the name of Di_dee1 one can be used by anyone as I do not give a rats.

Comment

Hi!
            Like it has already been said, she will aclimatise and in the meantime there is always baths and fans
            Yes she will have to be muzzled when she is out for a walk. Perhaps you could have a look around the area and see if there is anyone with a vacant block that she can run around in without it, maybe find some trusted friends for her too?
            It is a shame that the public image for Gerys is not good here. People see them racing and looking quite nasty, and the media blasting everyone with stories of little family pets being attacked, and now they are not trusted. In my entire life, I grew up with greys, I have only met one that was anything near aggressive, and that was mostly my fault for getting in the way.
            Sad but true. Still she can have a full life with just a light cage muzzle, or I have a light plastic one for my girl. It just makes everyone else feel better

Breeding, Showing, Training and general crazy making!!!
            If you seek understanding listen to the music, not the song.

Comment

greyhound kiama

hi i was just browsing through, and saw your thread on if you should bring your greyhound over to aus, for sure bring her, i have numerous greyhounds over 30 years, that race and end up pets,we have the adopt a greyhound over here, that promoted every were, people are much more accepting to the greyhound now, ive never had any problems walking my dogs, im about 2 hours from kiama but know the area well , you wont have a problem, bring her, let her enjoy her walks on our beaches some are no dogs allowed, but it cant b just greyhound,shel adapt to the weather it wont b too much of a problem, cheers and good luck.

Comment

Very old thread.

lynne - I'm sure the opening poster (OP) has already moved ie their post was made in July 2010, so they would have been talking about September last year.
                sigpic

Comment

She'll be right mate, if she's any good shes probably got aussie in her anyway... JK

Like everyone else has been saying, shade, water, hose her off, bring her inside where you will no doubt be chilling out on the couch with the air-con on and one of our refreshing aussie beers.

I actually have a question for you though? How do you go with customs and the dog? We travel quite a bit and want to take our lab with us but when we looked into it we found that travelling back into oz would mean he would have to be quarantined for a long time.

I might PM you if you dont mind?

Comment

Originally posted by goindeep View Post
                    She'll be right mate, if she's any good shes probably got aussie in her anyway... JK

Like everyone else has been saying, shade, water, hose her off, bring her inside where you will no doubt be chilling out on the couch with the air-con on and one of our refreshing aussie beers.

I actually have a question for you though? How do you go with customs and the dog? We travel quite a bit and want to take our lab with us but when we looked into it we found that travelling back into oz would mean he would have to be quarantined for a long time.

I might PM you if you dont mind?
                    Again, this thread is from 2010, closing it off as it is not necessary to make any further posts.
                    sigpic

There is no psychiatrist in the world like a puppy licking your face.

Comment

Working...
                    X