X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fenced Dog Parks

Hi there,

My partner and I have been considering adopting a retired greyhound. It is a dream of mine and I think we might make it happen in the near future. I was just wondering if any of you greyhound owners ever use the fenced off dog parks? I have always imagened playing with my dog by throwing a ball etc. and I find that the only thing that concerns me about adopting a greyhound is that they always need to be on a lead. If you use the fenced off dog parks, do you know where I find them in Sydney?

Also, do you always muzzle your greyhound when you are in public? I have heard that some owner only put on the lead that goes over the mouth instead of the full on muzzle when taking their greys for walks.

Cheers,
    Gudrun

I have no idea too be honest, but our forum mod Morgan has a Greyhound, and I think Cate does too.

Good luck!
    Education not Legislation

Comment

There is a lady who walks a greyhound and a whippet at one of our local football ovals. She never lets the greyhound off the lead, but it doesn't wear a muzzle and is quite friendly to blue heelers. Not sure how small fluffy dogs go with it.
      sigpic

Comment

I'd be interested in hearing about this too as my mum is seriously thinking about adopting a greyhound sometime in the future.
        I think she'd be turned off adopting one if they have to wear a muzzle all the time, and can't be let off to run free at the dog offleash parks.
        She doesn't want a prisoner..she wants a pet

Comment

Totally OT sorry, but as I have no idea about greyhounds, why do they have to be muzzled? Exactly?
          [CENTER][SIGPIC][/SIGPIC][/CENTER]

Comment

Hi DA

Cos the dog and cat management rules say so.

They're fast and they're trained/bred to chase and catch and kill small white fluffy things. And they tend not to be all that picky, rabbit, small dog, cat, white chook... anything that waves around and runs from them.

A GAP greyhound has been desensitised (I think) not to instantly go for small white fluffy things. So some councils / state dog and cat mgt rules make exceptions for these.

Trouble is - once a hound has his mind on the job - it's very hard to stop them because they're so fast, and so focussed. And if they finish the job with a good head shake - it's all over for the small white fluffy critter.

I think the rule may have been made originally to stop people with Racing Greyhounds letting them loose in public places. But now there are Pet Greyhounds too, the law needs some review.

I don't know why there aren't the same rules for some other dogs - then again in South Australia there are - all American Pit Bulls are supposed to be muzzled in public... Along with some other "dangerous" breed dogs.
            sigpic

Comment

Thanks for explaining Hyacinth. I knew it was something to do with chasing, but other than that, i didn't have a clue.
              [CENTER][SIGPIC][/SIGPIC][/CENTER]

Comment

Sadly greys have to be muzzled because of an outdated legal requirement, sorry not sure of the exact legislation.

My own gorgeous girl has never needed a muzzle (even though I will put one on if I have to take her out in public), she is too lazy to be bothered with chasing anything, although she will play with the other dogs. However, I live on acreage so they have a 3 acre fenced private dog park to run around on!

We test all our rescue greys with big dogs, small dogs, and cats too. As most of our rescues are in foster homes, some live with cats, some with dogs, some with both.

When we get enquiries from potential adopters, we try to match the dog with the home, as not all dogs will suit every home. We've only been going for about a year, and so far we have rehomed about 28 greyhounds!
                sigpic
                In My Home Dog Minding
                www.greyhoundrescue.com.au

Comment

NSW is behind the times! Most other states, have a legislation that states once the greyhound has ceased racing a muzzle is no longer required. NSW legislation is archaic in that ALL purebred greyhounds must be muzzled. I walk my greyhound with my 2 kids and pram and people freak out! Its funny! LOL....but yes, laws need to change....because the public perception is way off...However in saying that. My girl gets soooo excited when she sees her muzzle and can practically get it on her self. Doesnt bother her and doesnt bother me... She is my pet and we love each other and dont really care what anyone else thinks.
                  Last edited by Jessie12345; 15-12-2009, 10:04 PM.

Comment

I had a rescue greyhound that has now been fostered however while we had her she was always muzzled and we never went to dog parks. The reason behind this was purely that they do have great instincts and they just keep running. However she was one of the laziest dogs around and probably wouldn't have run off, she was the typical velcro dog and wouldn't leave my side for longer than it took to get a drink. But she wasn't my dog and I would never of forgiven myself if something had happened to her, if I had of adopted her and trained her I probably would have taken this particular greyhound to a fenced dog park. I also have two whippets - one I would leave unleashed and the other not on your life. Like all dogs the breed is not what you go by but the particular dog.
                    sigpic

Comment

Oh and if you live in Canberra you can get a piece of paper that states that your dog does not need to be muzzled, but I don't know how you go about that as I did not have my foster for long enough. But repeating what Jessie said above she loved her muzzle and new as soon as I got it down we were going for a walk.
                      sigpic

Comment

We used to own 2 retired greyhounds, they both passed away last year, and at a certain point in their lives when we went for a walk, we didn't muzzle them anymore. Simply because they never chased any of our cats or any other small animal. Even when they did have their muzzles on, they would rub their heads up and down on our legs, because they wanted it off. It is a stupid rule that needs to be revised. They were the most laziest dogs I have ever met. We did take them to dog parks, we have one near us, that hardly gets used, they used to love running there together, even though they didn't chase and bring back a ball. They are a fantastic breed, perfect companions.

One thing that always concerned us, was when they went down the stairs. When they got later into their lives they had trouble coming up and down them, falling half way down. At a certain point of watching them do this, we just kept them downstairs.
                        Also have to watch them around your sofas... One of ours just wanted to be on the sofa all the time, but after a few years, of us humans not being able to sit down on it, because there was a dog there, we trained him that he wasn't allowed up. In saying that, they were always spoilt with their own dog beds.

I hope you do choose to get a Greyhound. There are so many out there that need loving homes. If you choose to get one, make sure you have a secure fence, we have a 7/8 foot fence, and one of ours jumped up when we came home and you could just see his head over the top of it, a jumping bean, wanted to see who was there. I was around 8 when we got our first greyhound and 17 when they passed. They were great companions, always there, following you around. Really gentle too, around kids, etc. Really submissive to our 4 cats at the time.

Comment

Originally posted by ozeymum View Post
                          It is a HUGE shame that greys have toi be muzzled in public but dont let that put anyone off having one! You can easily make the muzzle a fun thing for your dog. Just like the dog associates their bowl with food they can come to associate the muzzle with food or going out or whatever they LOVE. The trick is to desensitise them to it so instead of meaning something opressive its a good thing

Breeding, Showing, Training and general crazy making!!!
                          If you seek understanding listen to the music, not the song.

Comment

In most states a Grey has to pass the GAP protocol before being allowed to be unmuzzled. Failed GAP dogs (even if they fail for health reasons instead of temp ) still have to wear them, as do privately rescued ones. In the ACT you can apply for your own exemption even if you privately rescue one.

Muzzles aren't all bad, it is a human perception not a dog one. Most Greys see their muzzle like a dog sees a lead, it is an exciting signal of going out for a walk with their people.

I know lots of retired Greys (GAP and non-GAP) who go to off lead at dog parks. Like Cate said, it's more an individual dog thing than a breed thing, like with many dogs.
                            sigpic

Comment

In victoria they cant go off lead even at dog parks And have to have muzzles unless you send them to GAp to be tested for a week.
                              Homes For Hounds Greyhound Rescue Come adopt your next best friend.

Comment

Working...
                              X