my goldens behaviour

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• my goldens behaviour

Hi everyone, we have a gorgeous 4 year old male retriever. Lovely boy, inside the house his behaviour and obedience is perfect! Drops items, sits, obeys most's commands ect.
    Outside the house, in the backyard, taking him for walks, he is totally out of our control! will not come when called, wont play fetch outside, walking him is difficult and so on.
    Do we basically have to re- train him outside again? we live in a hot area of WA, so he is inside a lot.
    Thank you for any ones advice.
    Kirsty

Lovely boy, inside the house his behaviour and obedience is perfect! Drops items, sits, obeys most's commands ect.
    http://k9protraining.com.au/free-dog-training-help/

https://www.youtube.com/user/kikopup

Comment

Is he leash trained? If not that might be a good place to start. Good way to teach recalls etc. You can train him to recall, walk etc on the leash inside if it is hot outside. Then once he has the idea train outside in the cool of the early morning or late afternoon.

Comment

yes, I agree with what Riley and Kalacreek said.

You need to train the same stuff you thought he knew inside the house - in as many new places as you can think of...

Start with him on lead - so you have some control..

After you get to about 18 or so new places (Habitats or H) where he can do the stuff you've got inside the house - he should be able to do it most new places but it is something I'm always working on.

My dog has different rules in her head for different places. It's different if she thinks she owns a space like our local park than a place she doesn't think she owns - like the beach. She has a different set of rules for my house than for anyone else's house (I have to be very careful about toilet training - ie redoing it and making sure she knows how to ask to be let out when she needs to go).

Try to do some training very early in the morning - outside - before it gets too hot to think. Pick one thing and work on that. Pick some stuff you're fairly sure your dog knows - training it again will be faster - and help set up for training the bits that are less well known.

For fetch - start close up with dog on lead... Also play race the dog to the fetch toy and if you win - play with the toy by yourself... ie a toddler always wants the other kid's toy...
        sigpic

Comment

Working...
        X