Dogues

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Shar Pei Rescue Victoria View Post
    Just noticed a 2 and 1/2 yr old boy available for adoption at RSPCA in Burwood Victoria
    RSPCA Victoria: Pet Adoptions | RSPCA Burwood East Dog Adoption
    I visited this kennel pound last week. It stank. The pens were wet on the floor from uncleared up urine with no drainage.
    Multiple turds in cages, looking like it hadnt been cleaned in 24hrs.

I left empty handed and sadened.

Comment

Originally posted by bernie View Post
      I visited this kennel pound last week. It stank. The pens were wet on the floor from uncleared up urine with no drainage.
      Multiple turds in cages, looking like it hadnt been cleaned in 24hrs.

I left empty handed and sadened.
      Thats very sad I emailed a couple of rescues in my area months ago asking if they needed help with walking dogs, feeding etc and i didnt hear back from either.
      Rubylisious

sigpic

Comment

Hi DDB lovers.

I have some questions about my pup. She's 12 weeks Rottie x DDB.
        I have plenty of experience of Rotties, none of DDB.

There are some unusual in rottie's ( ive owned ) traits. I wonder if this is the DDB genes?

Pup seeks out eye contact and holds it. Ive never had a dog do this. its weird. Ive had to teach eye contact to my previous dogs.

Pup is very very agile and fast! Rotties are not. Are DDB's fast?

Pup is a keen swimmer. Never had a swimming rottie myself, but seen others with them. Are DDB's water dogs?

Pup is rediculously confident, fearless and thinks everyone and everything is gonna love her. My rotties were either aloof or indiferent to visitors. The pup loves people. Seeks people out.
        Are DDB's generally 'people' dogs?

Im not saying that rotties are not, just mine only liked family. Visitors were ignored or watched carefully with dog mindful, not on gaurd, but mindful till the visitors left, then they'd relax.

Fascinating watching a new pup and getting to know who they are, what drives its attuned to. We are at week 4 of having pup. And she's doing well.

Starting TOT training on w/e with her.
        This dog is not as smart as my GSD, but she's a lot smarter than any rottie ive owned. ITs gonna be fun!

Comment

I dont have a clue about either breed but i am curious if he's a big time chewer or not.
          I would love to see some piccies too please, i bet he's a cool looking pup....
          sigpic

Originally posted by reyzor
          Education is important, but big biceps are more importanter ...
          DONT SIC YOUR DOGMA ON ME !

Comment

Exept for Griffen I don't have a huge amount of experience with DDBs although I have met quite a few, so I can answer in regards to what my ddb is like.

Originally posted by bernie View Post

Pup seeks out eye contact and holds it. Ive never had a dog do this. its weird. Ive had to teach eye contact to my previous dogs. Both Griffen and Madeline (ddb cross) seek eye contact and are very happy to hold it.

In a word, no hehe. Well Griffen can get up some speed when he wants to. He has had a go at lure chasing once or twice, his only problem was he couldn't stop and bowled over the equipment

Pup is a keen swimmer. Never had a swimming rottie myself, but seen others with them. Are DDB's water dogs?

Griffen hates the water, in general ddb's aren't great swimmers because of their flat face but I think it really depends on the dog, I have seen a few that have no problems.

Pup is rediculously confident, fearless and thinks everyone and everything is gonna love her. My rotties were either aloof or indiferent to visitors. The pup loves people. Seeks people out.
            Are DDB's generally 'people' dogs?

As ddb's mature they can become more guarded around people they don't know. Griffen's almost 6 now and while he loves people and has no problems meeting them he can be stand offish with some people (more so if he can't see their face, he hates people with beards)

Starting TOT training on w/e with her.
            This dog is not as smart as my GSD, but she's a lot smarter than any rottie ive owned. ITs gonna be fun!
            Good luck with your new pup, I'd love to see some pics. DDB's are very smart but can be very stubben when it comes to learning, it takes Griffen a long time to learn something new but when he does he doesn't forget it.
            Also unless he sees a point in it he looses interest very quickly, I've found around 15 minutes is the limit before he lies down and wont budge

Comment

I am really unsure how to upload a photo. I even tried to change my profile pic to show off my new babe, but cant?

The training being slow, i sorta get that this might be an issue.
              But we have in 4 weeks mastered: sit, on your bed, out, take it out, come and house trained. So pretty quick so far.

Not coz im a brilliant dog trainer. More coz she's a brilliant dog mimic of bernie

Comment

Well Hello Fellow DDB owners..

I am a registered Kennel of this Breed and my girl is now Pregnant with her First Litter..
                I am so so excited..
                She will go in for her Ultra Sound in 3 weeks time to confirm pregnancy..
                8 weeks time she will be admitted for a C Section...
                Last edited by Lucky Lady; 14-02-2012, 01:03 PM.

Comment

I want one!
                  I love em. I love the solidness of them, the mastif placidity, the easy going nothing stresses them attitude. The confidence. The sensuality of them - mine particularly likes fluffy fabric and goes all silly to get into it.
                  And the faces are so expressive! Pohm lifts an eyebrow when curious, it looks funny as.
                  Please show us the pups.

Comment

Pup seeks out eye contact and holds it. Ive never had a dog do this. its weird. Ive had to teach eye contact to my previous dogs.

Actually those are rottie traits ... a good rottie is fast on its feet and actually quite athletic. Swimming is always a personal thing but most dogues are rubbish swimmers, mine in particular. As for the eye contact stare that is a very rottie trait.
                    sigpic

Comment

Just smiling as i re read this thread.
                      Who'd of thunk eh? Jan 2012 i wanted one, and now i have one.
                      For a addicts fix price probably.
                      He's cost more than that so far. And we've a fair bit of money to go yet i fear.
                      Fresh herb replacement garden for a start.

Comment

Originally posted by Nekhbet View Post
                        Actually those are rottie traits ... a good rottie is fast on its feet and actually quite athletic. Swimming is always a personal thing but most dogues are rubbish swimmers, mine in particular. As for the eye contact stare that is a very rottie trait.
                        Spot on Nekbet! Brian loves agility, moves at lightening speed. As for those beautiful almond eyes, he can hold a 'Watch Me' command instantly and longer than any of my previous dogs.

Swimming, I believe he is part dolphin

Comment

I have 3 dolphins. And the 2 crazy water babies are rottie x bordeaux and a pure bordeaux. Niether have a reputation for being dolphins. But both were raised by our dolphin GSD!
                          Definitely a case of nurture, not nature.

But!
                          the rottie x Bordeaux has to be watched. She can get 'stuck' out in the water, if there are 2 objects she wishes to bring back to shore and can only carry one. I have had to go in and rescue her, before she's drowned, as she would not leave it alone and was going under frequently, more frequently as she tired. But would not leave the 2 balls she found in a river.

The Bordeaux loves the water in summer. Hates it in winter. He's always around his depth area. As needs to rest frequently. Tiring him out is swimming, aww, what a shame, evil snigger.

Comment

Working...
                          X