American Johnson Bulldogs and Little Kids

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• American Johnson Bulldogs and Little Kids

Hello! Just wanted to hear some experiences with families with American Bulldogs. I've grown up always having larger dogs, mostly mix breeds and my last dog sadly passed away in January was a boxer x American bulldog but very much boxer looking. She was the best dog, so amazing with my kids 3 and 2yo! I do love boxers but weary of thier short lifespan and seem to be susceptible to a lot of health issues. So was looking into the American Johnson Bulldog and wanted to see what people's experiences are with them. We would get a female & have her desexed. So would u recommend them for young families? Thanks in advance.

American Johnson Bulldog - there's been a few people who have come here about them - mostly with complaints getting "papers" for them that prove the dogs are not pitbulls or pitbull crosses - which you need in Victoria especially. Not so much the rest of Australia.

So I think unless you know people who have them and can get in touch with their dog's breeder - ie word of mouth - it's a dog I would avoid. There might be a breed club that would help. There is also a "breed" called an Aussie bulldog where they are trying to solve some of the health problems of the British bull dog with selective outcrossing.

The Aussie bulldog breeders have a club that might be worth looking up. The American bulldog - there's not enough of them here to have a reliable source of puppies. Ie it's possible they would be inbred. And there has been a lot of dodgy dealings associated with that breed name. Pet Rescue has loads and loads of staffy crosses that look just like them and I'd rather get a dog from a rescue listed there or a shelter.

I know of one boxer - recently departed - that lived a happy 13 years or so - not bad for a big dog. The thing to ask the breeders is how old are the dogs they've got and how long did the ancestors of their current dogs live etc. And if they show - look for the ones who don't get first prize. Look for the breeders who are more into the social side and breeding healthier dogs. You should be able to get copies of documentation that shows hip scores, and dna results for genetic conditions that the breed you like might be prone to. If both parents have bad scores or bad genes - the puppies will too and more likely affected by the bad genes. This applies to all breeders.
    sigpic

Comment

Thanks for your response. That's such a shame they are getting a bad rap along with pitbulls.

Yeah I've thought about a rescue I'm just weary with two kids under 5, and a dog that I don't know it's history you know. I'd never forgive myself if something happened to my kids. I also have chooks and a cat to think about.

Comment

A dog that is in foster care not a shelter - the foster carers and the rescue do not want the dog to "boomerang" but they offer a trial period (money back) for you to figure out if the dog is a good match for you. They will always take the dog back. The best ones will ask a lot of questions and send someone to check your fences etc. They won't home a dog that they think would be a danger to the rest of your family.

Pet Rescue have puppies. This one in NSW
        (boxer x)
        https://www.petrescue.com.au/listings/542254

and this one (johnson x)
        https://www.petrescue.com.au/listings/545431

most of the rescue dogs I've met have been amazing. The most appalling "rescues" I have met have been the ones that a "friend" palms off on another "friend" or family member. Dogs can be incredibly forgiving but even the most forgiving is not going to forgive a toddler that rams a pencil down its ear. You still have to supervise and teach both kids and dog how to behave around each other.
        sigpic

Comment

I am looking at getting one myself i know 2 people who have had them and thwy both have young kids they said they were great one of them past away and they are looking at getting another one soon

Comment

Working...
          X