Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

NEED ADVICE Breeder refuses to return calls when puppy died of growth he was born wit

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NEED ADVICE Breeder refuses to return calls when puppy died of growth he was born wit

6.jpg
    5 weeks ago we received our beautiful 8 weeks old Aussie bull dog, he quickly became part of the family but to our hearts despair had to be put down on Thursday due to a mass that was growing in his colon that also blocked his lymph nodes and caused massive swelling in his abdo and pain. Its ripped a huge hole in our hearts which has only been made worse by the fact that the breeder refuses to return any of my calls. I dont know what to do, firstly we at least deserve some empathy from the people who sold him to us and to be honest I would like least a part refund or an offer from the next litter but instead she simply wont talk to me. He would have been born with it and as he grew so did it. Does anyone have any advice on how to deal with this, do I just give up and walk away from this incredible loss? I know we will never be able to replace our little man with the same personality but when we are ready we would like to try again. Please share your thoughts, im simply at a loss. Many thanks
    Last edited by molliepennie; 30-03-2015, 01:21 AM.

That is very sad for you,what a tragedy, poor little man. If the breeder is registered I would lodge a written complaint with the ANKC. It may or maynot have any effect but is probably worth doing.

Comment

I would have thought comsumer protection law would cover this, especially as the poor pup so young. You didn't get what you paid for. 100% refund of your money.I would contact the Ombudsman. If you have any lawyers in your circle of acquaintances they would be useful. A legal letter may get a response. You have my sympathy, what a nightmare for your family.

Comment

That is very sad for you,what a tragedy, poor little man. If the breeder is registered I would lodge a written complaint with the ANKC. It may or maynot have any effect but is probably worth doing.
        The Australian Bulldog is not a recognised breed so the ANKC won't do a thing.

If you want a refund you need to lodge a complaint in Civil Court of your state (eg in Victoria it's VCAT), gather information and basically go through civil proceedings. Animals in Australia come under consumer law, as harsh as it sounds you need to treat it like someone sold you a faulty car. You need receipts, emails, vet reports etc. Apart from that write it off and move on.

Aussie bulldogs are not a healthy type at all. I know someone who got out of breeding them because it was just problem after problem.
        Last edited by Nekhbet; 30-03-2015, 09:00 AM.
        sigpic

Comment

Did you sign a breeder contract?

About the only thing you can do is post the breeders details and yr story on every forum.

I doubt you have any legal case, more times than not absolutely nothing can be done and nothing happens.

A contract is not even worth much. Breeders are never in short supply of new uneducated customers, that's why so many can do this over and over and over. Once you have paid your money, you and the dog no longer exist.

The only thing there is in dog world is consumer education and breeder reputation.

Rarely is there any legal option or support from ANKC, or breed registry, canine councils etc.

Not that ANKC applies in this case.

Very sad, learn and don't make the same mistake twice. Thousands will make the mistake the first time.

Comment

Thank you for your responses, Im still trying to reach her and still nothing as yet but I will email her shortly and basically say I will make it my top priority to get my story out everywhere using her name and phone number as a what not to do, you would think she would want to protect her business. I will also watch out for any of her ads on gumtree, trading post etc and post counter ads not to touch her. I never wanted to have to do this but I will write to her and say thats what I will start doing if need be. I would only like to ask for half the money back to make it easier to move on to another puppy when we are ready (I still cant look at photos on my phone so will take a couple to months I think!). Please let me know if anyone has any other suggestions. Many thanks

Comment

Im so sorry your family has had to go through this, including the pup!
              I encourage you to be dealing out retribution all this week. And then put it down. You have learnt a dreadful lesson. Your dog is not a registered breed. With all the 'protection' purchasing from a 'reputable' breeder provides. (Sometimes)
              So if it were a reputable breeder, they would now replace your dead pup, with another. From another line hopefully! Or you may of gotten the same response. Time is invested in new market, not old. (ie. sold pups).

Im gutted the Aussie bull dog is not a pedigree dog yet. But is it like my bordercollies, had to wait 100yrs to be registered. Breeding to standards up till then. Where is the aussie bull dog in the race to become a registered breed in Aus.
              I have a friend that has some. They are gorgeous. But im never doing slobber again! so out as a breed for me.

Comment

Originally posted by bernie View Post
                Im so sorry your family has had to go through this, including the pup!
                I encourage you to be dealing out retribution all this week. And then put it down. You have learnt a dreadful lesson. Your dog is not a registered breed. With all the 'protection' purchasing from a 'reputable' breeder provides. (Sometimes)
                So if it were a reputable breeder, they would now replace your dead pup, with another. From another line hopefully! Or you may of gotten the same response. Time is invested in new market, not old. (ie. sold pups).

Im gutted the Aussie bull dog is not a pedigree dog yet. But is it like my bordercollies, had to wait 100yrs to be registered. Breeding to standards up till then. Where is the aussie bull dog in the race to become a registered breed in Aus.
                I have a friend that has some. They are gorgeous. But im never doing slobber again! so out as a breed for me.
                Border collies do quite fine without them being a registered ANKC pedigree dog. My border collies are all working bred with very lengthy pedigrees that go back many generations on working breed registers. Nothing to do with ANKC and pedigrees were kept for them long before they became an ANKC breed.

I know nothing about the Aussie bulldog, just assumed it was a pedigree breed.

I think that it is important if you are buying a puppy to have a really good understanding of the breed and to ensure that the breeder has good history of their breedings and documentation of their puppies. Research the likely health problems and do a lot of background checking. If the breeder doesnt have any of this or cant answer questions to your satisfaction, I would walk away. You need to go with a pretty good understanding of the breed so you can interview them as much as they should interview you. You need to be very satisfied

Sorry this happened to you, you are not the first and wont be the last.
                Last edited by Kalacreek; 31-03-2015, 12:31 AM.

Comment

I think these days you get the same consumer rights on buying a dog as you do a car or a fridge etc...

Ie you have a right to a healthy puppy.

The first people I'd try for advice on what to do next is the RSPCA. They may or may not be interested in doing something about someone breeding unhealthy puppies. They should be able to advise on what you need to do to get your money back - which may involve consumer affairs in your state, or a civil court suit ie you sue them. You need evidence to show you did not receive what you were promised eg screen dumps of the ad and any info you used to choose this breeder and any emails with info she sent about the puppies especially stuff that refers to them as checked by a vet (who should have noticed) and healthy...

Record any phone calls you manage to have with her.

I would not go slagging her off until you have a court judgement against her. Otherwise she can sue you for defamation - tho I'm not sure how that will go when you produce pictures of a dead puppy and the vet report.
                  sigpic

Comment

Animals are considered chattle by Australian law. By word of the law it comes down to a 'faulty product' as horrible as that sounds hence why you need to lodge a complaint through Civil court if the breeder refuses a refund.

The Aussie will not be a registered breed any time soon as there's really no uniformity and they keep crossing to English BD's, some even to AmBulls.
                    sigpic

Comment

I see ads on gum tree occasionally (wish I never looked usually), for aussie bulldogs - that promise healthy puppies, registration with some organisation I've never heard of and all that. And then we get people on the forum complaining they never get their papers - after pestering and pestering and pestering.

All I can say is I think Aussie Bulldogs are a nice idea but currently it's run like a scam.

You should treat them like scammers and sue. The police and RSPCA should be investigating for fraud and animal cruelty.
                      sigpic

Comment

thank you for your info, still no word from breeder, i have emailed her and ive also just gotten in touch with a friend who is a lawyer so will know more soon. Either way i will get my point across you cannot treat people like this

Comment

hopefully your lawyer friend can advise the small claims court process in your state, if the consumer affairs people don't want to take the job on.

You paid for a healthy puppy, you're entitled to a full refund. I wouldn't assume the breeder will get back to you. Your best hope of contacting her is getting someone else to contact her about buying a puppy... and then they can give her the summons.

https://www.accc.gov.au/contact-us/o...aims-tribunals
                          sigpic

Comment

I am also very sorry to read about your poor little pup !

I also agree with others - it is not good practice to badmouth people at all using any method you can think of. It is far too easy for that to come back and bite you on the bee hind.

One question: From the time your pup came to your home and until you had to give him his wings - Did you have any contact with the breeder at all ?

Comment

Working...
                            X