Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Introduce my bull terrier

Hello,

I'm new to this forum and hope someone with more knowledge can help me.
    About a year a go me and my partner took over a female bull terrier from his sister, she is currently 8 years old.
    They have had her since pup but lack of interest and knowledge I think didn't training got prioritised, I know they took her to puppy school but both dog and parents had no interest.

My partners sister is nervous around her with other dogs so walks and introductions to other dog has been out of the question. She is very friendly, great with children in all ages and she loves to be kissed and cuddled.

Since we took over her I have started to walk her and train her with the basics as sit and so on. She is responding well to it I like to introduce her to dogs to see if she can behave and how she would act. The dream is to find her a friend and maybe in the future to by a second dog.

If some one can give us any tips and tricks how to introduce her to other dog or where to find a dog school that can help us would be muck appreciated! We are living in Melbourne..

Thanks
    Emmy

Hi Emmy Welcome to the forum.

There are others on here who can probably offer better advice than mine but for what its worth i had to introduce a young friendly Bullmastiff to my latest dog who is a very dog aggressive hypo Mastiff cross. So we had our work cut out for us and it was a real worry they would fight and cause some damage.

So what i was told to do ...and it worked a treat.....was to have both dogs on leads. And then let them suss each other out for a few seconds. Then make them both retreat for about a minute. Then do the same again and again ,getting closer each time till they where nose to nose pretty much. No longer than 3 seconds at a time.

But if one of them tried to lunge we would seperate them straight away. We did this in short sessions over a weekend. I guess we did it for 20 minutes or so then we totally seperated them for a hour.

After the weekend they where running around playing pretty weel but still had a scuffle here and there but nothing to serious.

This is with a highly aggressive dog so hopefully it might be even easier for you and your BUlly.

Feel free to share some pics too. Cheers.
    sigpic

Originally posted by reyzor
    Education is important, but big biceps are more importanter ...
    DONT SIC YOUR DOGMA ON ME !

Comment

Oops ....forgot to add if all else fails and the dogs start fighting grab the back leg of the aggressor (if its your dog) and give a good hard tug. It pulls up my Mastiffs quick smart and doesnt hurt them either. But hold those leads tight and get ready to seperate instantly if they start showing aggression. Best to discuss this with the other dogs owner first before you introduce them. Just so you both have the same gameplan.
      sigpic

Originally posted by reyzor
      Education is important, but big biceps are more importanter ...
      DONT SIC YOUR DOGMA ON ME !

Comment

The K9 Company
        Berwick K-9iQ Dog Obedience Training and Behaviour Modification - dog obedience and agility training, and beviour modification

depending what area you are in, or if you are not near them call them for advice who is good. A bull terrier is a large, powerful breed. I would aim to get the dog assessed or at least use a trainers dog to test the dogs temperament and brush up on your handling skills I do love bull terriers they are fantastic dogs to have
        sigpic

Comment

Welcome EmmyW

So glad you are having a go at training your Bull Terrier.

They can be trained - most of them love food.

I have a friend who has with her bull terrier achieved several dog titles in obedience and tracking (the dog loves tracking)...

This is the website for the woman who wrote the book on training Bull Terriers...
          Website for Jane Killion, author of When Pigs Fly!: Training Success With Impossible Dogs. Dog training for difficult, stubborn, and non-biddable breeds of dog. Dog training, particularly for terriers and hounds. Basic training, training for behavior

Pay attention to what the dog finds distracting or loves - and ask her to work for it then let her go have whatever with your permission - with as much as possible (obviously not for aggression related things).

Teach her impulse control (leave it, stay) use food...

have fun.
          sigpic

Comment

Working...
          X