Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

To PTS or not? Our 2 yr old Amstaff is highly reactive, aggressive and unpredictable.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by farrview View Post
    Caesar Milan treats issues through the filter of timelines and shooting schedules, this cannot be a good thing even if he is deemed competent.
    so does victoria stillwell.

I like the point made about flooding. You shouldn't treat dogs like that, and especially not people - not directed to anyone on this forum but about my life circumstances.

I don't want to turn this into a cesar milan thread and I'm actually really curious to see how the op dog turned out. They've postponed his pts which is good but jojo has not made a reply which I think must mean bad news.
    Last edited by goggles; 02-03-2014, 09:41 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by goggles View Post
      so does victoria stillwell.

I like the point made about flooding. You shouldn't treat dogs like that, and especially not people - not directed to anyone on this forum but about my life circumstances.

I don't want to turn this into a cesar milan thread and I'm actually really curious to see how the op dog turned out. They've postponed his pts which is good but jojo has not made a reply which I think must mean bad news.
      Yes I would like to know how they are going. However logically the judgement of what is good or bad is impossible to make. It may be the kindest and safest option for this dog to be PTS or it may be with serious behaviour modification and training that the dog can be managed safely.

It certainly wont be good if the dogs mauls someone in the meantime. Difficult to know really over the internet because none of us actually know the situation. It certainly cant be pleasant for the OP.
      Last edited by Kalacreek; 02-03-2014, 09:59 PM.

Comment

On CM... someone posted this link a while ago. I found it really interesting to compare CM's style with Sophia Yin's.
        The Dominance Controversy | Philosophy | Dr. Sophia Yin, DVM, MS
        sigpic

Comment

We have him in the bark busters program at the moment but it doesn't seem to be helping and nor does medication, he actually seems to be getting worse.
          Get out of Bark Busters and as for medication, it DOES MAKE THEM WORST. If Bark Busters recommended the meds and the vet works with them run a mile. One of my friends went to BB before they met me, they gave her 'behavioral advice' and the BB recommended vet gave him medication, the dog shredded himself trying to break out of a crate he was forced into and frightened into accepting. They are NOT behaviorists in any way shape or form they are over priced charletans who do a quick course.

We have been doing everything to assert our dominance , we have always eaten first, no couch, try to not let him through doors first etc.
          Don't worry about dominance, moving through doors first, eating first etc has nothing to do with creating a balanced dog at all. Your dogs behavior came with maturity. He saw you as a vulnerable person to bully, and genetics kicked in hard. As for pedigree papers, I've seen some pedigree AmStaffs that I refuse to go near without them being strongly tethered or muzzled. There are some human aggressive dogs out there no problems. His dam also rejected him early on, she was telling the world he had problems.

our boy shows no signs of attacking, no whale eye, no lip licking, no growl he just launches into a full blown attack(charges at face) in an instant
          He will show signs, but because they're not typical 'fearful' or 'defensive' warning signs we're all taught to look for you miss them. He will be warning you alright but they will be subtle - hard stare, slight wrinkle of the forehead, ear twitch or stiffen then BAM right at your face. Your dog has the balls to put you in your place at full force.

Frankly, between the health problems and aggression, put him to sleep. He's maturing, he's the big male in the family and in all likelyhood he will put you or someone else in hospital. Not all dogs are happy in this world. I'm not an advocate for PTS at the drop of a hat, but you and your childrens safety plus this dogs mental anguish have to be considered. He's not happy, he's not comfortable and please do NOT take this as any sort of personal failure at all. You did what you could, but the universe gave him the let down, NOT you. Let him fly free or it will be a lifetime of medications, crates, muzzles before the inevitable anyway. If you want to ring me and have a chat, please do 0401 389 863

******* ETA just a warning if he is on medication currently do NOT, I repeat do NOT take this dog suddenly off the meds. It can be very dangerous for a dog who has already shown aggressive behavior like his. Sudden medication cut off can result in explosive behavior **********
          Last edited by Nekhbet; 03-03-2014, 05:40 PM.
          sigpic

Comment

Working...
          X