Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast
Results 61 to 70 of 77

Thread: American Staffordshire Terrier

  1. #61

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by elle.burns View Post
    I don't need to educate myself, I'm entitled to my opinion

    And I was talking about Fatalities not bites
    2 out of 33 fatalities since 1979 were due to pitbulls or pitbull crosses including the one in 2011. That is FACT.

    And yes, you're allowed an opinion, its just a pity it is based on BS.

  2. #62
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    179

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mymatejack View Post
    And yes, you're allowed an opinion, its just a pity it is based on BS.
    Enough said.

  3. #63
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Canberra
    Posts
    4,292

    Default

    I love a good debate and I am the first one to say that everyone is entitled to their opinion. But I don't get why you would even bother expressing your opinion if you are not willing to educate yourself on the topic? Bit futile, IMO if you cannot back your point of view up with facts. Except then for "the law exists". Are you honestly saying you agree with everything politicians decide all the time? Isn't that just a tad naive, maybe? Lots of unjust laws have come and gone. If no one would have kicked up a stink about it, women would still not be allowed to drink in bars, ****sexuality would still be outlawed and the poor would be a lot more miserable than they are now.

    In the case of BSL, the politicians wanted to be seen to do something. Anything. They don't particularly care if this legislation will not actually do anything to reduce dog attacks. All they care about is votes. A solution that would actually make a difference - like the Calgary solution for example - would just be too hard to explain and not be such a hit with the sensationalist media.

  4. #64

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by elle.burns View Post
    Like I said above I know theyre not all bad I know all dogs can attack but they would not ban these dogs if here wasn't fair reason, children have been killed by this breed..unprovoked u can't ignore that..

    I'm not here to get into an arguement, I'm entitled to my opinion...I think it's quite funny you feel u have to bring the breed of my dog (Labrador) into this discussion when it has absolutely nothing to do with labs. Grasping at straws? Perhaps, but i mean no offense to you your dogs or the breed... I love all dogs and animals for that matter but I also think u can't ignore the fact that in the wrong hands these dogs can kill...
    I don't need to educate myself, I'm entitled to my opinion

    And I was talking about Fatalities not bites
    I bought up Labs because it happened to be two Labs who harassed me and my dog yesterday, an incident which is still very fresh in my mind. The other incidents I posted about I used as examples because they are ones that come to mind that have happened recently.

    All breeds of dogs can be dangerous in the wrong hands.

    They are not banned in Australia because of fatalities they are banned here because of bans overseas (more and more of which are being repealed each year) and because of breed misidentification and media sensationalism.

    Your right you don't need to do research, just go and stick your head in the sand.
    Personally I would much rather be knowledgeable on the subjects I choose to have an opinion on rather than look like an idiot spouting falsities and disproven theories.

  5. #65
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Gippsland, Victoria
    Posts
    743

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by elle.burns View Post
    Like I said above I know theyre not all bad I know all dogs can attack but they would not ban these dogs if here wasn't fair reason, children have been killed by this breed..unprovoked u can't ignore that..

    I don't need to educate myself, I'm entitled to my opinion

    And I was talking about Fatalities not bites
    Awww, Elle, you're the lady who lives accross the road from me and wants to run my dogs out of town on a presumption of guilt, aren't you?

    Have you seen the movie 'Minority Report'? BSL is a little like that concept.

    BSL doesn't actually have anything to do with what a dog has done, or thought, or dreamed or considered once. BSL is specifically about identifying a dog as dangerous purely by physical traits. Simply put: if it looks like this, it is dangerous, if it looks like that, it is safe. It's a bit like saying I can tell if a human is going to commit a crime purely based on a physical attribute. In the human example, this is called DISCRIMINATION, yet in the dog world it is called good policy.

    It says to people 'if your dog looks anything other than this then it is safe'. This is an incredibly reckless stance to take as there will be many out there who fail to take proper precautions and thus risk a dog bite and/or fatality based on an jncorrect assumption that based on physical appearance their dog will do no harm.

    On top of that, Elle, what happens when the physical attributes identifying a 'dangerous' breed include anything over 20cm tall and over 10kg in weight? If you want yo laugh and say it can't happen... Google BSL and Italy.

    Elle, I firmly believe every dog owner out there needs to educate themselves about BSL before it is far too late.
    Last edited by Villain & Flirtt; 01-09-2012 at 01:48 PM.

  6. #66
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    SE QLD
    Posts
    2,903

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Villain & Flirtt View Post
    BSL doesn't actually have anything to do with what a dog has done, or thought, or dreamed or considered once. BSL is specifically about identifying a dog as dangerous purely by physical traits. Simply put: if it looks like this, it is dangerous, if it looks like that, it is safe. It's a bit like saying I can tell if a human is going to commit a crime purely based on a physical attribute. In the human example, this is called DISCRIMINATION, yet in the dog world it is called good policy.
    The Hitler of the canine world.

    There is no psychiatrist in the world like a puppy licking your face.

  7. #67
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Gippsland, Victoria
    Posts
    743

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jadielee87 View Post
    The Hitler of the canine world.
    Mmmmm.... And whilst another forum member is convinced that purebred breeders are the equivalent of Modern-Day Eugenicists the vast majority out there seem not to have grasped the concept that BSL is far more closely aligned with the eugenics movement (If we don't like it, ostracize it by how it looks and decimate the population through policy).

  8. #68
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    179

    Default

    Ok sorry for having my say from now on I'll only post my opinion if it's the same as all of you ok?
    And villain I don't now how many times I have to re-post "I LOVE ALL DOGS, I HAVE NOTHING AGAINST ANY BREED" but yes I'm trying to run ur dobies out of town..if that's what you wanna think..geez
    I'm not here to fight or be criticized or spoken down to ie be told I'm uneducated when u ppl don't know me at all, I actually never said I was all for this law all I said was surely they have to have some reason for it? For targeting this particular breed... But anyway I joined the forum for fun not all this hectic animosity, I ment no offense to anyone

    Bye - Elle

  9. #69

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by elle.burns View Post
    Ok sorry for having my say from now on I'll only post my opinion if it's the same as all of you ok?
    And villain I don't now how many times I have to re-post "I LOVE ALL DOGS, I HAVE NOTHING AGAINST ANY BREED" but yes I'm trying to run ur dobies out of town..if that's what you wanna think..geez
    I'm not here to fight or be criticized or spoken down to ie be told I'm uneducated when u ppl don't know me at all, I actually never said I was all for this law all I said was surely they have to have some reason for it? For targeting this particular breed... But anyway I joined the forum for fun not all this hectic animosity, I ment no offense to anyone

    Bye - Elle
    We are not saying don't have an opinion or don't have an opinion unless it is the same as ours, we are saying if you are going to have one and state it aloud then please make it an EDUCATED opinion based on proper research and facts.

    I am happy to have an informed discussion, key word being informed, it is pointless having a discussion if one party does not want to have an educated view.

    actually never said I was all for this law all I said was surely they have to have some reason for it?
    This sentence is stated as a question and yet you have said you don't want to educate yourself.
    How can we answer this question if you don't want to be educated and learn something....
    There are many members here, me included who could tell you WHY this law was created and why THIS breed was targeted (and why before Pitbulls, breeds such as the German Shepherds, Dobes, Rotties and Bloodhounds were targeted) and why BSL does not work, and in fact V+F has already told you a bit. But unless you are willing to read what we say and take it in it is pointless.

    Sorry you feel you have to leave. I hope you stay and learn and join in informational discussion and contribute to other areas of the forum.
    Last edited by Keira & Phoenix; 01-09-2012 at 04:10 PM.

  10. #70
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    SE QLD
    Posts
    2,903

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by elle.burns View Post
    Ok sorry for having my say from now on I'll only post my opinion if it's the same as all of you ok?
    And villain I don't now how many times I have to re-post "I LOVE ALL DOGS, I HAVE NOTHING AGAINST ANY BREED" but yes I'm trying to run ur dobies out of town..if that's what you wanna think..geez
    I'm not here to fight or be criticized or spoken down to ie be told I'm uneducated when u ppl don't know me at all, I actually never said I was all for this law all I said was surely they have to have some reason for it? For targeting this particular breed... But anyway I joined the forum for fun not all this hectic animosity, I ment no offense to anyone

    Bye - Elle
    Quote Originally Posted by elle.burns View Post
    And Just because you don't agree with me doesn't mean I'm uneducated, I didn't make these laws on the breed I'm just in agreement with it that's all..
    I personally do not expect you to have the same opinion as anyone, that is what makes a forum a forum - difference of opinion, sharing opinions, stories etc.

    The problem with this one little topic is that so many people are personally effected by the entire BSL issue that it is hard not to become passionate about it and defend your breed/s until you are blue in the face.

    The sort of thing we are trying to change is people's perception of bull breeds, dobes, rotties, GSD (and any other breed that is wrongly discriminated against for what ever reason) and show that they are not bred for aggression and are not something to be feared.

    Wouldn't u rather own a dog that is know for gentle friendly temperament, a dog u can take to the dog beach/ park and let it run with the other dogs and play without fear it may turn and lock jaw on a little kid or another dog? Or worry that someone will dob u in and u have to keep ur dog in a dog run have it muzzled when u walk it and if u don't do these things risk losing ur dog or worse having it taken away and euthanized? I just don't get it? Surely these dogs are bred in some way to be aggressive in some form otherwise they wouldn't be the main breed involved with dog fighting and majority of time when someone is attacked its usually a pitty, I know it also counts how the dog is raised and trained but a lot of it is instinct and nature of he breed..do you just Want a pitty to look tough or something? I just don't get why u would go to all that trouble
    This opinion is shared by many many people, and it is wrong for the reasons we have pointed out. I'm not calling you uneducated to be rude, many people who share this opinion have no idea what the breed's are really like either. They listen to the media's selective reporting and believe what they say as gospel, in some cases. It's our job to change that perception and encourage you to do your own research and formulate your own opinions based on what you read.

    I've owned bull breeds through out most of my life and the only dog I have ever been bitten by was a cattle dog that was allowed to roam the streets while I was on my way to school.

    You will find this in any forum, some are even more crazy I have discovered... but that is another story I hope you stay as well... not everyone is going to agree all the time on everything!
    Last edited by jadielee87; 01-09-2012 at 04:15 PM.

    There is no psychiatrist in the world like a puppy licking your face.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •