Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast
Results 51 to 60 of 77

Thread: American Staffordshire Terrier

  1. #51
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    SE QLD
    Posts
    2,903

    Default

    I take it personally because it is personal. My dog can be easily mistaken for a Pit Bull, I am lucky that in QLD laws have been put in place to say that American Staffordshire Terriers can not be classified as an American Pit Bull Terrier. If they weren't in place regardless of how well behaved my dog is, he would be in danger of being seized and put down.

    The laws in place at the moment are pointless. They do nothing and will never do anything to help reduce bit rates. The only thing that will is owner education. Until the government realise that breed specific legislation is as worthless as the paper it is written on people will continue to be bitten. Governments around the world are quickly realising this though and removing BSL. Ours won't because of all the people that believe it actually does anything will have a cry.

    A well bred American Pit Bull Terrier (its actual breed name) should never show any human aggression. We do not know the series of events that led to that dog going on a rampage and attacking all of those people. For every action there is a reaction - with dogs the reaction is to defend itself.

    There is no psychiatrist in the world like a puppy licking your face.

  2. #52
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    179

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kuri_89 View Post
    I wasnt meaning to make it personal i did not say it was your dog did i? I just thought my point might register more clearly as you are a owner of a lab. Im not here to argue which breed is better etc all i ask is you be abit more careful about HOW you post your opinion as it can have effect on the responsible owners of these bull breeds. As i said if you want to discuss the facts furthur take a look at the threads under BSL/Dog Legislation.
    Thats ok, I don't wish to discuss the facts further just wanted to have my say with original post re: pitbulls, owning them and the rules you have to abide by if u do own one..that's all I'd just hate to see the owner (if he does get a pitty) have to do this to him because of the current law in place pitbull muzzle - Google Search
    That is all *waving the white flag*

  3. #53
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    179

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jadielee87 View Post
    I take it personally because it is personal. My dog can be easily mistaken for a Pit Bull, I am lucky that in QLD laws have been put in place to say that American Staffordshire Terriers can not be classified as an American Pit Bull Terrier. If they weren't in place regardless of how well behaved my dog is, he would be in danger of being seized and put down.

    The laws in place at the moment are pointless. They do nothing and will never do anything to help reduce bit rates. The only thing that will is owner education. Until the government realise that breed specific legislation is as worthless as the paper it is written on people will continue to be bitten. Governments around the world are quickly realising this though and removing BSL. Ours won't because of all the people that believe it actually does anything will have a cry.

    A well bred American Pit Bull Terrier (its actual breed name) should never show any human aggression. We do not know the series of events that led to that dog going on a rampage and attacking all of those people. For every action there is a reaction - with dogs the reaction is to defend itself.
    Jadielee your dog isn't a pittbull and even if they were please don't take it personal I wasn't attacking anyone, I was just saying i wouldn't choose to own a dog that had to be caged muzzled and banned by the gov, anyone who does that's their choice

  4. #54
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Gippsland, Victoria
    Posts
    743

    Default

    Ellie, whilst I disagree 100% on your take on BSL (because I do not believe you really understand it or it's potential ramifications), I do agree however that seeking to obtain a dog so vilified in the public eye right now is a decision that comes with too many frustration factors not to be a part of the factors considered.

    Seriously, I own Dobies and am getting so fed up with public hysteria and bullish!t about my breed that I cannot fathom how difficult it is for owners of APBTs, AST's and dogs that vaguely resemble a bully breed. They have to put up with more than me on a daily basis!

    I'm not saying don't get one, or even give up the ones you have. I'm just saying think long and hard about the ongoing stress from Mr and Mrs Ignorant Joe Public and ask yourself if you want to deal with it over and over and over.

    I'll keep fighting against BSL as a solution to dog bites, and I'll keep fighting for responsible people to have the right to own the breed they desire. But I get soooooo tired of the ongoing stares, sneers and worrying constantly about my dogs' safety...
    Last edited by Villain & Flirtt; 01-08-2012 at 08:10 PM.

  5. #55
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Logan, Brisbane QLD
    Posts
    806

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by elle.burns View Post
    Thats ok, I don't wish to discuss the facts further just wanted to have my say with original post re: pitbulls, owning them and the rules you have to abide by if u do own one..that's all I'd just hate to see the owner (if he does get a pitty) have to do this to him because of the current law in place pitbull muzzle - Google Search
    That is all *waving the white flag*
    Ellie, i fully understand the point you were trying to make & if you read my previous replies you would see i was trying to make the same point - that when it comes to banned breeds regardless of how much you love that breed, it isnt worth having to look over your shoulder for the rest of its life, i would rather spend all that energy into changing legislation.

  6. #56

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by elle.burns View Post
    The reason why they are banned is because they are known for aggression that is a fact if Labradors were known for aggression and attacking peopl and other dogs then they would be banned also, I know not all pittys are bad I know all dogs have the capacity to hurt or even kill humans but the bottom line is they wouldn't be banned if there wasn't due reason.. No matter which report or whose data you look at, pit bulls do seem to top the list
    What a load of crap! According to a researcher at the monash uni there have been 33 dog attack fatalities in Australia since 1979. ONLY TWO of those were by pitbull or pitbull crosses(including the recent death of the young girl). Pitbulls are WAY down the list of dogs involved in attacks. Your Labrador is much higher on the list than the pitbull! According to your way of thinking the Labrador should be banned.

  7. #57
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Canberra
    Posts
    4,292

    Default

    This topic has been done to death and I second the others' advice to go read some of the threads in the BSL thread, Elle. It is not as black and white as it may look. I didn't know anything about the topic and might have formed the same opinion as you if I would have merely based it on the reports in the media. But after I followed the previous discussions here and took the effort to read about the Vic legislation and it's consequences and the stats, I have a much different view.

    I do agree that new dog owners should take the reputation of the breed into account before they make a decision to get one. But in the same way that I decided I did not want a big dog because they more easily make other people and dog owners feel threatened and I'd rather not deal with that. But I totally understand that this may not be as important to other dog owners. We all have different ideas about what we look for in a dog when we get one.

    As for people getting APTs to look tough. What breed do you think they will 'adopt' as their tough looking dogs when APTs are not available anymore?

  8. #58
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    shitney
    Posts
    1,188

    Default

    welcome back clubsprint :P
    Quote Originally Posted by Sean View Post
    I love 2 things in this world. Spandex and reyzor... not necessarily in that order.

  9. #59

    Default

    Wow just wow.

    Seriously do some PROPER research before you go posting things on a website.
    As in look at ACTUALLY statistics gathered by reputable sources rather than basing your opinion on news articles which are more often then not sensationalized and WRONG!

    My dog was bullied and almost attacked by 2 LABRADORS just yesterday. MY dog was trying to get away from these dogs and was giving clear body language that she didn't want to play with them, she was quite happy to hang with me, play with me and my friends dogs and these dogs were chasing her, barking at her and one growled and lunged at her (that one got a good kick before the owner grabbed it). We were also rushed and barked at by a SWF outside of the park, my dog was on lead, the SWF was not (and it was NOT an off leash area).

    Labradors
    Boy, 3, left with horrific facial injuries as Labrador savages him at Poole Harbour | Mail Online
    Girl's cheek savaged by family dog | Lismore News | Local News in Lismore | Northern Star

    Golden Retriever
    Pet dog mauls four in Sydney

    Siberian Husky
    Grandfather tells of horrific grief after fatal dog attack | Perth Now

    Pomeranian
    Pomeranian Kills Baby | Baby Girl Killed by Family Dog - Los Angeles Times

    All breed can bite and all breeds can kill (even the littlies). So sick of people being complacent about other breeds because they are not banned.

    Lockjaw does not exist. What Pitbulls (and related breeds) have is determination (from their Terrier side) and strong bite pressure (but their bite pressure is actually less than a German Shepherd) and as mentioned by Jadie the myth has been debunked many times.

    Champion Pitbulls back in their fighting days lived inside with their families and were often left alone with the children that is how they got the name Nanny Dog (yes Newfie I know Newfs were the original ).

    Just as an aside. In Calgary, Canada where they have NO BSL but have laws specifically designed to stop all dog breed attacks, the top breed for biting is actually the Border Collie. If you want info on Calgary's laws, I have posted them elsewhere probably in the BSL/Dog Legislation area.

  10. #60
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    179

    Default

    Like I said above I know theyre not all bad I know all dogs can attack but they would not ban these dogs if here wasn't fair reason, children have been killed by this breed..unprovoked u can't ignore that..

    I'm not here to get into an arguement, I'm entitled to my opinion...I think it's quite funny you feel u have to bring the breed of my dog (Labrador) into this discussion when it has absolutely nothing to do with labs. Grasping at straws? Perhaps, but i mean no offense to you your dogs or the breed... I love all dogs and animals for that matter but I also think u can't ignore the fact that in the wrong hands these dogs can kill...
    I don't need to educate myself, I'm entitled to my opinion

    And I was talking about Fatalities not bites
    Last edited by elle.burns; 01-09-2012 at 12:36 PM.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •