Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: CANINE Cough

One point to remember is that it takes two weeks after the innoculation for the vaccine to work. So if you are planning to board ensure you have the shot done in time or you may well be turned away at the door.
    Another falicy we can clear up here is that your dog will not get CC from the vaccine. It is actually an inactive vaccine so does not create any illness in the dog, although there are reports of dogs feeling off for a few days after the shots.

The CC is usually only one of 5 different vaccines (hence C5) and your dog may react to any one of those in different ways - just depends on what he had for breakfast I suppose.
    Nev Allen
    Border River Pet Resort

Not a lot of point titre testing for Canine Cough. That's one of the ones that needs doing annually, because (like the human flu) it changes relatively quickly. Last year's vaccine won't be proof against this year's flu/cc.

Quote Originally Posted by Nev Allen View Post
    Depends on how long the dog was in the kennel for by itself. The virus takes around 7 days to mutate and show signs.

The virus is normally airborn - dogs cough it out into the air, but it can also be spread by dogs drinking or eating out of contaminated bowls. So, if there were no other dogs in the kennel and he was infected after being there for 7 days or more, then the virus was probably blown in from near by properties.

So how sure are we about that ?

Where the kennel was situated is not in relative 'nearness' to neighbouring properties full stop.
    The one neighbour that did have 2 dogs yes,were vacc'd and well taken care of. I spoke to them often and neither dogs ever showed sign of illness.

My boy showed signs of the cough 10 days after he arrived in that kennel.
    Using his own ( mine lol) bowls,bedding etc...

How long do we expect the infection to live if it is airborne?

edit to add ; He didnt come down with a large full blown case of it either. We removed him from kennel at first sign of illness though so could make a difference but shouldnt if virus had already invaded his system.
    GageDesign Pet Photography
    Site still in construction so will post link when it's finished.

Canine Cough is just one of those things, where there are lots of dogs it's likely to happen even though any good kennel should ask for proof of vaccination at least two weeks prior to entry.

Like any flu there are different strains and like any flu it's easily spread. I personally describe it to people as a cold, then watch your dog to make sure it doesn't develop into a flu. Like us we shouldn't treat a cold (unless we have another illness that requires we do), but we should treat a flu.

I believe vaccination only really covers for about 6 months & prefer to use the nasal spray on my dogs.

Working in kennels my Gordon never got it no matter if it was school holidays and the kennels were full or not. She has a strong immune system and as I've taken her to the kennels so much she is not stressed. Stress lowers the immune system thus making a dog vulnerable regardless of whether it's been vaccinated or not.

One of my Whippets I could infect by it being on my clothes and bringing it home or of course the Gordon was carrying it, even though she never showed signs of it. I never worried about it, watched it carefully and Kelsey (the whippet) never received veterinary care for it.

CC is so easy to transmit because some dogs will have been in contact with it but not show any signs of having it, but have shared water etc, then drink elsewhere and bingo it's spread.

Unless the dog is very old or very young dog I generally let the dog fight off CC themselves.

I do not work at the kennels while I have puppies nor while a bitch is in whelp. But as a casual worker when I do work it is generally during peak times of school holidays. My dogs have all built up an immunity to it now and no ever gets it even though I would carry it out of the kennels on my clothes and shoes etc. I'm always careful to never drop into the shops on the way home if CC is about, but as it often doesn't show up for many days I could have spread it prior to knowing it was developing.

A healthy dog will fight it off themself and a good vet should advise it do so.

Another thing to think of is that your dog could have recently been to a vet where there was CC and has carried it out or been in contact with a dog that was at a vets where there was a CC case. It's as easy as that.
    Last edited by MAC; 06-05-2012 at 10:36 AM.

Thread Information