Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Walking your dog on a loose lead

Thanks everyone for the replies. I have a bit of trouble with consistency in anything. I am dyslexic, so left-right, up-down, this first-then that are always going to be a challenge for me but Mo is really smart and so the communication is improving. Sheena, I didn't even realise, but I do put Mo into heal position (without thinking) when I walk past a distraction, so that's good. When Mo is really focused and pulling me and I can't turn him, I ask him to sit (he never and more importantly, I never, forget sit) but even though he is sitting I can't let go of the tension or he will bolt, so if I am caught of guard and he has the full length of the lead, I have to sort of wind him in like a fish. At the very least, I must be providing some sort of entertainment down the local park.

Newfie, I am also using a martingale, I am going to research "touch". Beloz, I also going to look at LAT. Both of these are new to me. Hyacinth, thanks for reminding me not to reward without first getting the desired result (big weakness of mine)

Thanks again everybody.

Geelong, Vic

I only got about 7 minutes in before I got annoyed.

When he is walking the lab on the street all he is doing is dragging the dog around when he changes direction. There is no engagement between himself and the dog, no sign the dog is WANTING to choose him over everything else. The dog walks out ahead, suddenly its just dragged around. Before the dog gets to pull on the leash the owner should be changing direction, engaging the dog with a 'FIDO, COME ON!!!' and reward for the dog following. Every time the dog gives you attention the dog should be praised, and food rewards used as a jackpot when the dog shows outward signs it has chosen the handler over the stimulus that would otherwise make it pull. In 7 minutes I would have had those labs walking loose lead looking at me.

As for the beginning of the video, I'm sick of people bashing equipment. Both those labs had correction chains WAY too long, flat collars on as well (which you never have on when using a correction collar) and the owner was allowing the dogs to put constant pressure on the chain rendering it useless. I would like to see what would happen if the chain was used correctly, it probably would have worked quite well.

Sue where are you located?

I live in Scarborough, Qld, Nekhbet

Thank you for sharing the video

melbourne australia

Thread Information