Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Wanted; Maltese puppy. (Gippsland area)

se qld

Whats "done is done" is all very well but I recall you had a long list of excuses
    which amounted to "its all too hard".
    There was a lot of good advice given but you were not prepared to put in the work.
    Look in the mirror and admit that to yourself.

I am far far away from perfect but I had a real problem puppy who is now a huge dog 50kg.

I took the advice of Hya, Newf, Beloz, Bernie, K&P, Mac and others and now have a great
    dog that we all love dearly. He is not perfect but has come a long way from where he was.

He was a puppy from AWL but I dont kid myself that I "saved a life".
    He was the cutest puppy there that day and I swooped on him as I knew if I went back next day
    he would be gone.

It's so true that you can hardly call getting a pup from the RSPCA saving a life. They usually have multiple people on the list to adopt them and in the end they go to the first suitable candidate.

Here in the ACT, the only time you could really say that you are saving a dog's life by adopting them is if you adopt one with issues that make them truly hard to rehome, because we have such a low kill rate here. Elsewhere, it may be true for some easier dogs too, but I don't think pups ever get killed anywhere. In a way, the popularity of shelter pups is kind of sad if you consider the number of adolescent and adult dogs that ends up at the pound. How many of these pups will end up back there when they are 100 times harder to rehome?

That was kind of OT, but it is the main reason why most of us get a tad concerned when people who have rehomed or surrendered a dog are getting another dog. Because of all these abandoned dogs everywhere...

You need to work out if you can be 110% sure that you will keep this next dog for life. No matter what issues they may have, no matter how much work they may be and what sacrifices you have to make, no matter how your lifestyle might change, no matter what. If you do get another dog, you have to think of them as your child. They will own you, not the other way round.

Things have been far from perfect with me and Frosty but I didn't give up on her.

I think it is profoundly wrong to take a puppy and then give up on it at the most difficult stage of puppy development ie 7 to 18 months old, and then return what was an easy to home puppy as a really obnoxious adolescent dog with problems.

And I read stories where people do exactly that - over and over again.

My mum was worried when I got my own dog (after I got my own house) - because she thought I'd do what my sister and brother have done, and just dump the dog with her when ever I felt like a bit of "me" time. It's taken a long time for my mum and my dog to develop some respect for each other. And if I do need to go away, I pay for boarding kennels... because my evil hound has proved she drives almost everyone else nuts.

I had to step up and learn to be a better dog trainer. I'm still not perfect. She still sucks me in all the time.

Thread Information