Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Kelpie with issues, barking

Thank you everyone so much for your responses. I really appreciate it, and I will be trying several of the suggestions.

I actually had the day off work today, and did as someone suggested to "leave", and then came back and sat on the front lawn where he couldn't see me to see what he was barking at. I was out there for around 3 hours, and he didn't bark once. He whined (fairly quietly, not enough that the neighbours would even hear it if they are inside) a couple of times, but no barks. There were cars coming and going from the neighbours, kids and adult walking past, and a few bikes, all things that would normally trigger him off when we are on our walks.

I think that figuring out what he barks at might be my first step, as well as how much barking we are actually talking about. Of course, his recent training with his other issues could have done something to solve the barking issue, and it was an issue but now he is now much better, but given the small amount of time that has passed, I doubt this is the case.

With regards to letting him in the house, the landlords are actually my parents, so going against them has a few more repercusions than just a less then impressed agent, and they also have a tendency to drop by, and in, more frequently then a normal landlord (including without a lot of, if any, forewarning). My dad could probably be convinced, however my mum is very strongly against inside pets (beyond a goldfish). So there is no room to move on that front.

Whilst my earlier post was directed at pups and younger dogs, I still go with the theory that a tired dog will sleep. Using the buggy whip or as I now know it , a flirt pole, to tire a dog means you, as a handler, do not have to leave your yard, and you are working on many things all at the same time with this simple piece of equipment.

As for the arthur write us, keeping muscles supple and built up around an affected joint is actually very beneficial. If you do not, you get muscle wastage as the dog favours the affected leg.

Swimming is the very best excercise you can give a dog, so if you have access to a pool, or swimming hole, or safe beach, take the dog for a swim. A 10 minute swim is as good as a 5 km walk.
    Nev Allen
    Border River Pet Resort

What does your Mum think is going to happen and would she rather take her chances with a stranger for a tenant, when she can't randomly drop around... Sigh, the joys of family.

It could be that he's barking - at the neighbours -. My neighbour's dog often barks at me and my dog. My dog very rarely joins in when my neighbour's dog barks. Usually only when they're both rat hunting. My dog only likes hunting and chasing the rat(s) - completely fails to finish them off. Sigh. I need to borrow a border terrier or two.

Some neighbours that complain about barking dog - are sometimes the cause of the barking. So that might be worth investigating eg get them to go out the back while you're sitting on the front lawn and listen to what happens. And then you can do the "look at that" Leslie McDevitt method when the neighbours are out the back doing their thing, to train your dog to be ok with that.

HY, the last thought of your first line was just what I was thinking... and the differences between sons and daughters, with mothers. ... ... Tho now I'm realising Beazley might be a user name that has misled me. All I know is, I'd be like a JRT with a rat, until she gave in. Is she so dominating with her adult children? I know I'd at some point... no... I'm not going there. Can you mention to your dad that you really want to get a house where your dog can come inside, and you've heard there's a job in Tasmania, with a house included in the job, and you can have an inside dog? Soooo... you just want to let HIM know... that you might... DON'T tell mum... Dominatrix mothers often get daughters who are PhDs in button pressing...
    Last edited by Menageriemanor; 05-18-2012 at 04:23 PM.

Sunshine coast Qld

Ok, I can understand the need to keep the peace with the folks, but on the upside, if hes really barking a lot, (and it seems he's not)the neighbours cant complain to the agent and boot you out either.

Good on you for sitting out the front for 3 hours, i hope you had your lappie, or phone to play games and keep ypu company. I think its great you are going to such lenghs to sort your dog, you really are doing your best for her/him...well done and hope things turn out great for you.
    The greatness of a nation can be judged by the way its animals are treated.
    Mohandas Gandhi

Thanks for the follow-up responses.

Ok, my mum isn't flexible with the dog inside, but there are positives and drawbacks from bothsides by renting from them. Mostly, it is an advantage for me. The main reason I do is so that I can have the dog with me, it was practically impossible to get a rental that would allow pets, even ones that were outdoors only, fitting other neccessary criteria. I'm thinking that the suggestions to just bring him inside might have something to do with that, landlords wouldn't believe that he would only be outside.
    I am comfortable with the arrangement we have, and it would be increadably ungrateful for them purchasing a place for me to live, to then try and play my parents off against eachother. That really is a tactic that seems extremely juvenille to me. I appreciate the sentiment it comes from, but I do not think it is appropriate.

The random dropping by is also normally for me as well, like to do some repairs or gardening, or even to quiten down the dog when the neighbours have called and I am at work.

I will have a look to see what he is reacting to (somehow, the webcam idea is a possibility), and if it is the neighbours, train him to be ok with them, however I have never seen him blink an eye at them, of course that is only based on when I am home.

Thank you again.

It probably is very juvenile of me, but I feel really strongly that it is really important to have dogs inside, as family members, and I do believe that your dog would have a better frame of mind, if all things had been the same but he'd lived in. This is not a dig, as you've obviously bent over backwards, as many wouldn't, for your dog, but I genuinely feel that way, and if I had to have my dogs outside, I'd have moved. It really is that important to me. My mother and I crashed heads on many things, BUT I'm glad to say, my dogs were always indoor dogs, tho' large, and it wasn't even a discussion, just taken for granted by all parties. And in my dysfunctional family, believe me, I LEARNT from my mother. It was done to me, and I was a fast learner. At times, in my teenage years, we'd catch each other out and the result, surprisingly, was a roar of laughter, unless one of us had lost badly in the deal... So whatever shortcomings either of us had, we were both generous hearted and kind to dogs, and that is one of my major judgements of people. What are they like with animals? Fail that and I don't want to know. I hope I haven't made this sound like a critique - as I wrote, so many people would have abandoned the poor dog, and I'm happy to own up to being juvenile. On the scale of Evils, I'll happily accept that. I'm also very generous and kind and can be witty and probably more interested in animals than people, and I'm okay with that. Perhaps it's because you lived with animals being outside, that you haven't experienced what is so important to me - but I would not go out with, let alone marry, someone who insisted dogs had to be kept outside, even if George Clooney, and he's on my side, well and truly, as I believe he and what's the girl from Brigid Jones' Diary? (I keep thinking rottweillor and I know that is wrong), apparently broke up, because he insisted his pet pig be allowed in the bedroom. (Now sadly dead)

I understand where you are coming from Menageriemanor, I do. I didn't mean wanting dogs inside was juvenile, I was purely refering to the suggestion I tell one parent, and not the other, especially with what they are doing for me with regards to this house.
    I understand the idea of being family members, however family members don't have to live together to be family, do they? More to the point, is it really impossible to have a healthy, happy dog who is not allow inside? Now, if you say no, I would be surprised, but, honestly, it would not effect anything I am doing. To be completely honest, even if it was my own home and I had complete say, I'm not sure I would be letting him in the house. The only reason for considering it would be to stop the neighbours complaining, which doesn't actually address the issue.
    With regards to who you would marry, I actually have no intentions of marrying my mother, I'm fairly certain there are some laws against that. However, it is not that she is not kind to dogs. Rusty (that's his name, not sure if I mentioned that) loves my mum very much, regardless of not being allowed inside. She has never abused him, which is more than I can say for someone else in his past, or ever suggested we give him up because he wasn't the perfect dog, again, like people in his past have.
    For all of those who encourage having the dog inside, do you suggest that during the time I am at work, he is not allowed in the backyard at all? He has quite a large L-shaped backyard, meaning if whatever is upsetting him, whichever direction it is coming from, he has plenty of other space to be in, he chooses/has been conditioned to look for the source and react to it. In theory, even if he was allowed inside, unless locked in, he would still choose to go react to whatever it is.
    Of course, the suggestions to crate train him, or if the theory was to lock him in, then this wouldn't apply, or at the least the neighbours wouldn't know about it.
    I think the name you were looking for is Renee Zellweger? and I can't blame her, I don't want a pig in the bedroom either. But I have never really been a pig person...

I think most of us here are inside-dog people. And of course we all think that there is a good reason for that. And I think once you have had an inside dog, it would be very hard to go back. I do believe that you develop a different kind of relationship with them when you share all those everyday moments with them instead of having to make an effort to spent time with them outside. Dogs are social animals and most just enjoy being near you, and there is just more opportunity for that if they live inside. It makes it easier to train them and you can do some of that while you watch tv or prepare your dinner.

But it is your good right not to agree and to do things your way and I should stop going on about it!

Oh dear. I understood just what you meant and I tried to write so carefully, that I wasn't upset, and hoped you wouldn't be, when I tried to explain that behind the flippancy, I truly felt serious about the subject. There may have been a one second moment of remembering being told off by an old form mistress, Are you ashamed? Well, you should be... and trying not to laugh, then a flash of memory at my mother's doings, and I actually felt more like chuckling. (In fact, I'm chuckling, because you're hastening to assure me that it isn't that my IDEA of indoor dogs is juvenile, but that you meant that I, as a person, am juvenile, which to me, would be far ruder, if I hadn't, in my juvenile humour, actually found it funny - and just. I am truly prepared to own up to being juvenile, in some ways. Probably exasperating in a relationship, but apparently, I've been worth it. Luckily, for you, it's just going to be a flippant remark you occasionally shrug off. In fact, I wouldn't have done that, simply cos if I'd come across this earlier, I would have refused the house, or my mother(yours) would have known I wouldn't have accepted the house on those terms, and I suspect, if I were her daughter, she wouldn't have WANTED to offer me the house.

I had a feeling the word marry would possibly cause a reaction, and I debated whether to put it in, but it does accentuate what a serious and important weight I place on that decision. If many women's ideal man, was insane enough to offer me marriage, huge wealth, wit, XX handsomeness, etc etc, and he said but no dogs inside, I'd be off home. If I was on the market and interested.

I almost put in a PS, to point to my point, but didn't and you followed the thought and ended up at a different train station. My point wasn't that you would choose not to marry your mother, (but thank you for the thought),if you embraced my view, but that if I were your father, I would have said her attitude was a deal breaker and consequently, you wouldn't have been born, to marry anyone.

Dang I keep adding. Do you note YOUR description of Rusty, as loving your mother very much? He might well die for her. That your mother is kind and doesn't abuse him? That is what I'm trying to say. Remote, almost dutiful kindness. It's not her dog but it lived with her for years, came, so damaged... In a huge hearted home, swept up in protective love and in a bed each night where the family sat and watched tv...

I'm glad your mama is kind to your dog outside. It's hard to explain without risking misunderstanding. It's like loving at 1/2 force. I love you but only if you don't come near me. It's a sterile feel and I think dogs know it, FOR THEY LOVE WITH NO BRAKES. It would be like you having a girlfriend? and she won't let you touch her, in case her precious makeup is messed. Who showers before and after, immediately, and makes being in love feel miserable and sterile as Siberia. That your dogis always looking in and listening, but never part of the family, and on top of that, your little chap is damaged and the world is frightening. .

I do think there can be happyish dogs outside but not as happy and well adjusted as they could have been, IF they are homed inside. IF they are damaged dogs, sad, insecure dogs, the job of bringing them back would be SO much harder, as outside dogs. You are still searching for help, still have a dog in a bad way. Your dog would, I believe, unless you were really bad at sorting things, be in a better way. NOT fixed. I can't and wouldn't claim that, but I truly believe that it would have been a happier dog.

It was Renee Z. I get a touch of the horrified lady standing on a chair feeling from you over the pig, and perhaps even a smutty smirk? Most of my animally pals would understand immediately. His pot bellied pig had the intelligence of a dog, they are as easily housetrained as dogs, are just walking smiles and I believe he had a dog bed, as dogs have, tho' I think I read he was allowed on the bed, but he couldn't sleep on the bed, like many dogs, because the little hooves, that were painful.

I understand with your upbringing, the idea is dubious and probably, neatness and having standards means a lot more to your mother than me, Perhaps your love is based on order and the polish of care? My love is based on waggy tails and bottoms, beaming doggy grins and devoted eyes, always where I am, following and resettling in a different room, just to be near me and be able to catch my eye and get a sooky word, or a smile. My dogs love me no brakes, and I return it, with carhorns blaring and a joyful WOOHOO!!! and a mess on the floor, in the living room and something chewed on the floor, in the kitchen.
    Last edited by Menageriemanor; 05-18-2012 at 09:35 PM.

Thread Information