Page 26 of 31 FirstFirst ... 162425262728 ... LastLast

Thread: Help choosing dog

Quote Originally Posted by This name is invalid View Post
    Wow, I need one of those kelpies.
    I just don't want to miss out like last time. I filled out the form the day she was listed and I got ang email back straiht away saying the foster carer would ring me. Nothing happened, so I waited for a few days and then I got an email saying she had already been adopted.

A kelpie x vizsla, hey? Sounds good.
    I swear, Queensland always has the best rescues. That's probably not entirely a good thing, but Vic's got nothing in comparison.
    The kelpies are adorable aren't they!! Those eyes are just amazing. It would be upsetting not being able to get the pup you applied for but it does say there are 21 available so the chances would be higher!

V&F what was owning a afgan hound like?
    I've always loved them but u don't see them much around..they really interest me

Matt,
    I've only ever owned labs..I currently have two so I may be biased but they're the best dogs in the world. Smart family friendly loyal easy to train and so gentle and loving the perfect family member.. They have energy to run and play ball or frisbee with you. But also love nothing more than to lay next to you and sleep for hours. If you want to rescue there are plenty of labradors that need good homes..

Quote Originally Posted by This name is invalid View Post
    Wow, I need one of those kelpies.
    I just don't want to miss out like last time. I filled out the form the day she was listed and I got ang email back straiht away saying the foster carer would ring me. Nothing happened, so I waited for a few days and then I got an email saying she had already been adopted.

A kelpie x vizsla, hey? Sounds good.
    I swear, Queensland always has the best rescues. That's probably not entirely a good thing, but Vic's got nothing in comparison.
    I've only just recently opened this thread and i've only read the last few pages, but honestly(and this is going to sound harsh - so be prepared lol), if you've spent this long trying to decide what you want in a dog I don't think the time is right for you to commit to owning a dog. Generally i applaud people doing research and what not, but seriously, if you haven't been able to commit to a dog in what is some 12 months, what will you really offer a dog when you get one?

Edit : ok it was like 9 months, but it's still the same, you don't even know what breed you're after which clearly says you don't know what will suit you. Please, keep this thread running and keep researching what breed will suit you, but PLEASE do not just sign up for a dog, you're going into uni(from my vague memory), you have lots of parties and other commitments that will come up, maybe join one of the rescue groups and try and foster a dog first to see if you really have the time necessary. Again, this isn't a don't think about owning a dog post, just please remember that dogs are a 15 year commitment!

Edit2 : Just thought i'd add this. I hate taking my dog to the local dog beach on really nice warm sunny days. Sounds crazy hey? I hate it for two reasons : 1. I hate all the unruly dogs who apparently only get walked on those lovely sunny days and 2. I hate thinking about what happens to those dogs on the less perfect days. Winter at the dog beach here is awesome, because we only get the dedicated dog owners, we often joke on the nicer days "I wonder where those hundreds of dogs get walked when the weather is crappy?" - well joke is not probably the right word but i'm sure you're getting my drift?

Edit3 : dogforum alcohol interlock clearly failed!
    Last edited by mymatejack; 01-19-2013 at 03:09 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by mymatejack View Post
    Edit2 : Just thought i'd add this. I hate taking my dog to the local dog beach on really nice warm sunny days. Sounds crazy hey? I hate it for two reasons : 1. I hate all the unruly dogs who apparently only get walked on those lovely sunny days and 2. I hate thinking about what happens to those dogs on the less perfect days. Winter at the dog beach here is awesome, because we only get the dedicated dog owners, we often joke on the nicer days "I wonder where those hundreds of dogs get walked when the weather is crappy?" - well joke is not probably the right word but i'm sure you're getting my drift?
    I know exactly what you mean about the dog beach MMJ, our local one gets packed (with a capital "P"). We're very lucky to have an old beach house a few hours north of Perth where it's just us and the dog. In Perth we go in winter, or there are some beautiful dog beaches which are not so busy during the day on a work day.

To Matt, I hope you find a dog soon. From what I remember you are of the age where you may get work or go and travel in the next few years so please make sure that the family is happy to take over the responsibility if you choose a working breed dog like kelpie. My friend has taken over responsibility of his daughter's 3 year old dog as she is now 21 and working part-time, studying, going out and dad found out dog was being fed after midnight, and (dog) losing hair from stressing, he's happy to have dog live with him.

It is a difficult choice, so confusing when everyone who tells you that a particular breed is best leads you to change your mind a lot, every breed has its good and bad. A lady at work who has always had kelpies is dog-sitting her son's boxer and she is now looking at boxer rescue when she always thought she'd get another kelpie.

Good luck, whatever you choose (and I'll add a vote for a boxer, amazing dogs)...

Well said, Findeb.

I have been babysitting a cat for my daughters BFF.
    The friend lived here and a bought a kitten.
    She then left to work in Melbourne and took her cat with her.
    Left that job and she drove back with the cat.
    Then she went to Malaysia on a work contract. 6 months.
    Left the cat with my daughter, who loves all animals so cat was ok.
    Daughter goes trekking in the Andes for 4 weeks so cat comes to my place.
    Cat has just gone home to daughters' place and now BFF wants him
    shipped over to Malaysia where she is staying permanently (maybe).
    Poor puss will be in quarantine for 3 months and his skin issues will flare up
    again, I am concerned he may be put down if he shows signs of illness.

Matt, if your parents are not prepared to look after your dog when you get that
    amazing job in New York or London, then consider waiting until you are where you want to
    be in your life. All the best.

I waited till I finished uni and then I went travelling overseas. Having a dog would have cramped my life at that age. I wanted one but I knew it wasnt the right time, unless of course you have parents willing to care for the dog. Mine already had 2 dogs so it was out of the question.

Then after several years I was ready for a dog - I got a cattle dog pup and she was the best dog ever. Smart and loyal. Travelled with me all over the state on surfing trips and for work. Good as gold, stayed with my car at all times, I even smuggled her into camping grounds and she knew not to make a sound. But cattle dogs shed LOL.

One of my dogs at the moment is a rescue kelpie. She is full on. Kelpies need a lot of attention, training and exercise, they are not dogs you leave to their own devices, especially when they are young. Great dogs, but they can be high maintence. Perpetual motion dogs some of them.
    Last edited by Kalacreek; 01-19-2013 at 10:56 PM.

I could be wrong but I think the dog is for Matt's family, not just HIS dog, hence why it's taken so long because the family can't agree on a dog that they all love. So in saying that, the parents clearly understand that when kids travel, go to uni etc the dog will remain at home because it is a family dog. I personally think that spending a long time deciding on the perfect doggy match is great, so much better than running out and grabbing the first cute puppy you see.

I'm only 22, got Meika just after my 21st birthday and I'm still at uni. Does being a uni student mean my dogs are lonely all the time while I'm off at wild parties? No way. Am I going to travel and leave my dogs with my family/friends etc? Definitely not! I'd much rather be at home with my doggy family than travel the world. I don't regret getting dogs at my age at all. I guess some people want to party and travel, others wan to stay at home vacuuming up dog hair

Everybody is different and I think we can see by this thread that Matt is a lot more mature than most people his age (we all thought he was the dad!) and he clearly understands the responsibilities associated with owning a dog and is taking his time to find the most ideal new family member that he can. How about we give him a chance.
    Last edited by Kristy.Maree; 01-20-2013 at 09:39 AM.

I think we are. Just giving other view points. I didnt do wild parties particularly at uni, I had to work all the way through to put myself through Uni- lots of nights and weekends working the bar at the dogs and horse races and other functions as well as riding track work and study, and a year away working to get more funds. It was all pretty full on and not exactly something I want to repeat. Sometimes you dont now how it is going to be untill you get there and circumstances change without warning.

Travelling it is hard to say. I didnt really think about travelling untill I left uni and started doing a competitive sport which meant a lot of travelling and also the opportunity of work. Not having a dog allowed me to do some once in a lifetime stuff that I loved. Once that was all out of my system I have had dogs ever since.

If the dog is going to be a family dog and the duties will be shared then it doesnt matter, there will always be someone there to care for the dog, especially if it is a high maintenence type.

I think it has been very wise to spend so much time considering the dog, means that they are really thinking about it and not jumping in on a whim.
    Last edited by Kalacreek; 01-20-2013 at 12:17 PM.

10. Default

He's a wild young adult!!!! He mustn't own a dog!!!!! Someone stop him right now!!!!! hahaha

Anyway - all jokes aside - I understand your concern and thank you all very much for taking the time to write something to help me out. This is going to be a family dog and not solely my dog, so my age shouldn't be a problem. I have a brother and sister who would be capable of looking after this dog if anything were to happen to me. Having said that, I'm not the type who parties all of the time and I highly doubt I would ever leave the country for a job...I'll just stay home and vacuum the dog hair.

The real problem now is finding a dog we all like. I'd rather rescue a dog than buy from a breeder, but the others can be fussy. I'll just try to be patient and keep looking, and see if we can visit some shelters (there isn't much in my area, though).

Thread Information