Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Opinions on zap collars?

How far do you walk him/her?
    What time in the morning is the dog barking?

I walk her any time of day and a fair distance i try to walk as far as i can and back. she was doing it at like 6amish I have decided i am gonna keep her in her cage (3x3m) at night again, i did it as a younger pup with her but i am gonna start doing it again. till she is older.

You need to walk her until she is tired, plus she need mental stimulation everyday.
    If she is barking at 6am then get up and walk her at 6am, most dogs want to exercise when they first wake up.

She might need walking more than once a day seeing as she is a high energy breed. Do you allow her to run off lead at a park or anything?

But with working dogs you need to find something to get their brain engaged....That is why so many end up doing agility, fly-ball and super active things like frisbee. Your puppy might be a little young. But doing Obedience is a good way to start. Not just walk, but making that little brain work.......And several times a day.
    I love sand pits for dogs.....you go out and leave some treats in it. Initially you will have to show them they are there. The food dispensing balls/toys are good too, interactive toys are great..........It takes time to eat. That is also why i like bones for puppies. It gives them something to do.

I still will tell you that dogs get very lonely in back-yards, I know you cannot allow the dog in, but therein lies a lot of your problems.......Dogs need to have company, or they will find things to entertain them and to bark at. My dogs get a lot of time spent with them, but if i left them outside at night, I bet hey would bark. be it at foxes, possums, wild cats, or just because........

There are some dogs that are quiet in back-yards, but that i think is more luck and genetics
    Pets are forever

buy a ball thrower and train your dog to retrieve the ball. Easiest way to provide both mental and physical stimulation. I'd suggest for a kelpie at an absolute minimum 1 hour per day of vigorous excercise(note : walking is not really excercising a kelpie) ... plus spend some time doing trick training to help with the mental excercise part. kelpies love to use their brains in general, you could turn your dog from a problem into something you like to show off to everyone

You need to find some water, beach or pond or something.
    Throw balls frisbees or something in the shallow water and play fetch.
    One hour morning and one hour evening.
    Or run with him - or rehome him.

The dog is a fit and healthy kelpie, with high drives. ie. a working dog - in a pet house. Poor breed type/home type match.
    You cannot tire a kelpie out, dont even try, at 21 yrs of age, you will have a coronary before you kelpie tires! They work all day long, running all day long, and working cattle, the eat, collapse, but should the owner even move, the dog is ready to go immediately, all night if necessary. You cannot tire a kelpie!

Far better, to engage her mind, give her jobs to do, problems to solve, tricks to learn, mentally stimulate her. bernie is working line and requires working every single day, or he is a pain in the ass destructive, loud barking dog!

The crate at night is a great measure especially as you have used this with her as a pup.

Working dogs can tell the time. So work out what ongodly hour you are prepared to get up and release her from cage, but make it early, no later than 7am. then run her. Take some of the drive out by running her. then once the initial silly stuff is out of the way, train her.

I highly recommend clicker training. You can use a word, a ball point pen click, dont have to search for the special clicker, there's always a pen around most houses, especially ones that dont work. Unlike your dog.

Bernie is a working dog. In order for him to be polite, not destructive, and well mannered we had to be inventive. Games are slightly altered to provide more challenge to dog. eg.
    Straight Pet dog fetch: i throw ball, dog brings it back, i throw again.

Harder fetch: i throw ball, dog waits (gradual increase in time duration working up to 2 - 10 mins) for release to go find the ball in long grass, must use his nose, not eyes.

Harder still fetch: i throw ball accross river to land on steep bank on other side overgrown. Dog must wait till i release to swim/climb over rocks/trees etc then he has to find with his nose the ball, and return.

Hardest EVER retrieve: i have Bernie in a down stay, and throw his ball a short distance, so that we can both see it. then keeping him in down stay, i throw another ball for other dog. All the time, Bernie is waiting for his turn, full eye contact, shaking with anticipation to be allowed to go get that ball. I then get ball off other dog, return to Bernie and release him.

I mix this up with getting stupid things retrieved, like a wheelbarrow, or his large log. Bernie likes this a lot! His log is 2ft long, red gum, about a foot across, too big to get his mouth around, too heavy for him to pick up, the only way this log can be moved, is for him to get on it, and roll it. Toward me please. Closer, closer still, till it touches my feet. This game can take him 30 mins, to get a log to come in right direction to me for say 30 paces. This combo of physical exercise, mental exercise as he works out how to roll the log most efficiently to get it going in right direction toward me, is what tires bernie out mentally and keeps us all sane. And to mix it up, i'll put obstacles for him to steer the log around, or he cant get to me.

Do you see the gradient there, just in the retrieve? Im trying to emphasize that a pet will be happy with first type of retrieve, a working dog needs a log problem to solve. You have the latter type of dog.

Bernie finds sequences very mentally stimulating. ie. in order to open the baby gate, he must bite onto the clasp, simulaneously moving sideways to get out of way of gate, then put his foot on release button on bottom of gate, and whilst holding his jaws tight on the hand grasp, move slowly backwards to open the gate. He then shuts it behind himself, so numb nuts rottie cant come through. Nice!

shuts it behind himself, so numb nuts rottie cant come through. Nice!
    Last edited by bernie; 04-18-2012 at 08:57 AM. Reason: double posted

zzz

Quote Originally Posted by newfsie View Post
    But with working dogs you need to find something to get their brain engaged....That is why so many end up doing agility, fly-ball and super active things like frisbee. Your puppy might be a little young. But doing Obedience is a good way to start. Not just walk, but making that little brain work.......And several times a day.
    I love sand pits for dogs.....you go out and leave some treats in it. Initially you will have to show them they are there. The food dispensing balls/toys are good too, interactive toys are great..........It takes time to eat. That is also why i like bones for puppies. It gives them something to do.

I still will tell you that dogs get very lonely in back-yards, I know you cannot allow the dog in, but therein lies a lot of your problems.......Dogs need to have company, or they will find things to entertain them and to bark at. My dogs get a lot of time spent with them, but if i left them outside at night, I bet hey would bark. be it at foxes, possums, wild cats, or just because........

There are some dogs that are quiet in back-yards, but that i think is more luck and genetics
    I play fetch with her every day multiple times a day, i have a clam i am going to do the sand pit thing i just have to buy the sand.

Thread Information