Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Walkin' the dawg!

Sunshine coast Qld

Quote Originally Posted by Hyacinth View Post
    This is Kikopup's video on how to train loose lead walking.

How to train your dog not to pull- Loose Leash Walking - YouTube

Essentially you reward your dog when they're where you want them (eg by your side). And you stop walking forward if they start pulling, and wait for them to come back to an acceptable postition then reward that with a treat and or stepping forward again.

It's important not to unconsciously reward bad behaviour by allowing your dog to get what it wants when it's behaving badly.

I really don't think most of Cesar Milan's methods are suitable for a non professional to try unsupervised and uncoached. Too much punishment and not enough reward can have bad consequences - like getting the owner bitten.

Sophia Yin: Experts Say Dominance-Based Dog Training Techniques Made Popular by Television Shows Can Contribute to Dog Bites
    I havent really had to try any of Caesor milans methods except one and it worked so well i was amazed. He had an episode on once where a dog wouldnt walk on a slippery floor.

My little stud muffin wouldnt walk up a stairwell to my daughters unit, it was quite dark the first time we went up and refused everytime thereafter.
    His method was to put forward pressure on the lead and hold it until the dog moves forward (even a bit), then release the pressure.
    Only did it once and magic, no problem since.
    My little girl is terrified of grates on the pavement, so will be employing the same method to see if that works.
    The greatness of a nation can be judged by the way its animals are treated.
    Mohandas Gandhi

Southern NSW

I like Kikkopup, Just like I like Dr Sophia Yin.........I love her technique. She is a real Behaviourist, not just someone who carries the title

She does a lot of comparison in this, check it out

link The Dominance Controversy | Philosophy | Dr. Sophia Yin, DVM, MS
    Pets are forever

Shows that I have been taught everything in the wrong way

Hi Cuttle,

Your post made me laugh. Nero does the concentrated 'no sniff' walk if I tell him to - but it's clearly not so much fun for either of us. I say either of us because I quite enjoy watching him inhaling the scent on a piece of whatever. He can be completely absorbed in a smell and I can tell that in such a moment nothing matters anymore but whatever scent he catches. I envy him sometimes for this little ecstasy and can't help wondering what it must be like having such a super-nose
    Last edited by margoo; 03-30-2012 at 08:55 PM.

I'm sorry, bt I'm not quite sure I get your point? Are you trying to stick it to the people that do get results from a more regimented method of dog-walking, trying to start some sort of argument about "rules' or "not rules"... or how about, just do what works for you, and be happy about it?

If you interpret anyone else's instructions literally and without emotion, then that is exactly what you will produce. emotionless input = emotionless output. You shouldn't need an expert to explain that to you, and it doesn't matter wether it's sports, or hobbies, or pets. If you don't put in, you don't get results. They call it "giving it your heart and soul" for a reason, you know?

I'm a great believer in the CM methods of Exercise, Discipline and Affection - but as far as I am aware, CM has never preached these methods at the expense of your dog's well-being - emotional or physical. If you interpret them so literally as to the exclusion of remembering that it is a Dog you are teaching and not a robot with a temperature, then you risk experiencing the results that you did.

Your dog reacted to you as well as his training, and so long as You forgot to put the fun in it, then he's not going to get fun out of it.

think they where just saying what worked for them...

I train my dog only to the point that it allows me to let her do dog things without her getting into trouble really. I put lots of effort into recall (and stay and leave) so I can let her off the lead so she can run around smelling where she wants to and chasing birds and having fun. I also demand she doesn't pull when on lead. Only when we are walking in a very busy area or when I'm in a real hurry will I demand of her to walk right next to me. And she does so without any issues. She can heel, but I don't often have a reason to make her.

But if you would enjoy doing a higher level of training with her, maybe you could get into trick training or agility? I think most dogs enjoy that and it's undoubtedly good to enforce general obedience too.

And as far as Cesar Milan goes. The dogs he trains to walk without paying attention to anything but their handler are inevitably dogs that were absolute nightmares to walk before. Very often they are very dog reactive. So there is usually a good reason for him being so strict.

My favourite CM episode - and the one that made me like him a lot more - was when he took a bored and neglected working dog to a farm and let him loose on the sheep. I was actually in tears watching the joy that dog got out of rounding up those sheep. It was like he had come home after years of being lost.

I like to treat my dog like an independent, grown-up being. I allow her to make some independent choices, but within strict boundaries to keep her safe. For example, if she only once ignores me telling her to come or leave, she will be on the leash and has to walk right next to me for a while, sometimes the rest of the walk. She has to earn her freedom by being responsible. Same thing I teach my daughter!

Hi Cuttle, your post also made me smile

I am the same I guess....the only two 'rules' I have is not pulling and absolutely every single time must sit before crossing a road .

Thanks for comments Cavalier, don't you have a pair of wonderful little pooches!!!

I couldn't see the little brown one at first as he is camouflaged so well in the other guys ear ....................................

You couldn't help but to love those fellows could you?

Melbourne VIC

I also found your post quite interesting. Yes, if you train a dog strictly then it will not enjoy the walk. How did you train the heel walk? It sounds like you simply walked and whenever your dog pulled, it would get a correction of some sort. In order for a dog to enjoy exhibiting the behaviour you want, you have to show them the positive/reward for doing it. In other words, if you pull you get a correction. If you walk where I want you to you get pats/praise/treats, etc.

I do admire Cesar's techniques, but it is from my perspective as a trainer, as I have the background knowledge. As a normal dog owner, I'm not sure it would be so simple to follow. Yes, he dies correct dogs, but his timing is perfect. Leaving an owner to do the same thing could result in problems, as they would not recognize the body language and would most likely correct when it is too late.

My dog has heel and loose lead walking, but my dog has the option of watching me during the heel. If I want him to watch me for whatever reason then I say watch. I also make sure he's looking at me before I release off to do his own thing. Yes, if he doesn't come the first time I call him, he goes back on lead.

I also teach my dog tricks and train assistance skills. It builds the bond and makes training more fun. Plus, gives him a new challenge.

Cuttlefish, I think you would enjoy trick training with your dog or maybe you could enter obedience trials.

For those that aren't sure what a MaltiPoo is, the other name for them is a Moodle.

Thread Information