Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Food questions...

Question Food questions...

Hooch - Boxer x Beagle but he is more of a boxer size. Weighs 25-27 kilos. He is roughly 9 months old.
    We got him 3 weeks ago underweight with muscles which are under developed. He could hardly walk.
    During those 3 weeks he has been sick and then was snipped (stitches and staples to stay for another week and then he might need another operation.. healing not going too well sadly).

I have been feeding him twice a day. Each meal:
    cooked rice (I cook rice with zucchini and carrots) - around one cup of that
    One cup of dry food
    around 200-300 grams of dogs sausage (made sure main content is lamb and turkey)

He finishes everything in his plate, every time.

Is it too much? too little? right portions? should i cut down on something? or add something else?
    We cant exercise him and we will not be able to for awhile. But he seems so much more alert and playful and he is beefing up.

Appreciate all advice as we are touch and go right now.

Try looking up Satin balls for putting on weight on a dog.

If you feel he's underweight, increase what you're feeding by about 10% each week until he's about how you want and level out at that give or take 10% and take into consideration how much exercise he's getting.

I don't think the rice and veg will be doing much besides filling him up a bit. The dog sausage should be excellent for putting weight on him. But the ingredients on the rolls, and the farts after they eat that stuff puts me off getting them. I like metwurst occaisonally but I'm not too keen on fritz (aka devon) and both are evil in terms of gas. I tend to equate those with the what's in dog food rolls.

This has some good pictures.
    Dog Condition Chart - Department of Primary Industries

Ideally most dogs should have a bit in the way of ribs showing but not their hip and spine bones sticking through their skin like an old dairy cow. Most people tend to look for a nice coating of skin (fat) over their dog's bones - so technically overweight. So if your dog looks slightly skinnny but not gaunt, that's about right.

And they're much easier to train when they're hungry.

Thank you SO much for the info.. had a look at the links, I really appreciate your help!!

Sunshine Coast

Dunno about carrots, they don't seem to break down in their poos. We were putting veges in Oskar's dinner for a little while there, and when he pood, there was just big chunks of carrot.

I will look it up, I thought carrots were good stuff.. this is harder than figuring out baby food lol
    Thank you Oskar's mum!!!

Geelong, Vic

if the dog is underweight there is no need for rice especially - what you're feeding him is a weight loss diet not a quality nutritional diet. Starved and very underweight dogs need 3-4 meals per day of quality, nutritious food in smaller quantities.

What dry food are you feeding? A good quality dry with some nice mince will help bulk him up. There is also a muscle builder supplement from from Sprinter Gold, designed by a veterinarian, excellent stuff. Get if from anywhere that stocks Kohnke's horse supplements its the same manufacturer.

Southern NSW

I use satin balls on all my skinny newfie worked wonders on Tobias, who also had a broken jaw. I was able to toss the little balls into the part of his mouth that was still functioning..i use RAW oats and RAW mince of any kind with all the goodies. It also means a lot of the allergic dogs can eat it.

CArrots I only use when I have dogs that i would like to maintain or loose weight on..i use it as a filler, to make the meal seem larger and satisfy the dog....Small meal, lots of shredded carrot. i use a mincer for my carrots. means you do not get all the bits in the poop.........Also legumes (beans/peas and such) soaked overnight if dried help put on condition and are very healthy. i also use a lot of broccoli and cauliflower, which the dogs love. Again i shred it if RAW...But I also freeze a lot and only blanche it pre freezer. I grow a lot of my own veg...pumpkin is also great, but i do cook it. It's too tough
    Pets are forever

Quote Originally Posted by bunny-girl View Post
    I will look it up, I thought carrots were good stuff.. this is harder than figuring out baby food lol
    Thank you Oskar's mum!!!
    Carrots are fantastic... for weight LOSS

Just replace the rice and carrots with more dry food.
    I add a teaspoon of oil over my dogs food to help with both skin and weight. peanut butter and fatty meat (not too fatty) are good for weight gain too in small quantities.

I am listening! no more rice (vet said rice when we got him because he had the runs), I am using "Biotics pro" dry food for puppies.
    The sausage is VIP pet foods chicken and egg dog roll.
    Thank you!!!

Gippsland, Victoria

Whole vegetable of any kind will provide very little nutritional value to a dog. As Newfie said, you need to chop VERY finely- or even better, blend with water. A dog's stomach will not break down vegetable matter unless you help out by 'pre-digesting it first'. A simple alternative you might like to consider is 'Vets All Natural Complete Mix' (VAN)- it gives grain and vegetable matter in a doggy digestible form, and provides some roughage. Be waned though- you do have to remember to soak it before use.

The VAN is then mixed with raw, minced meat. There is a good thread on here about Pet Mince (it's quite recent, just scroll through the nutrition sub forum) which explains the advantages and disadvantages of pet mince versus human stuff. A good pet mince will have bone, cartilage, quality meat included. This could be substituted for the 'sausage/roll/devon/fritz'.

Whilst raw food diets can be a tad complicated to get right nutritionally, the above, plus small amounts of a quality kibble (unless you're keen to do some research and reading) should provide your boy with a diet that should see him gaining weight, developing muscle and generally being healthier.

Good Luck!

Thread Information