Thread: Obsessions

Default Obsessions

Anyone got dogs with full on obsessions?

Pippi seems ot have "phasal" (I dont even know if that is a word but I meant sh egoes through phases) obsessions.

At the moment her obsession, is this one particular patch of grass growing up between some pavers and also a certain spot of the neighbours fence.

What happens is, th eminute she is outside (unelss its to wait for dinner) she runs over the neighbours fence and sits in exactly the same spot. All because, ONE time, their dog was out there whinging at like midnight. ONCE. And now she is obsessed with sitting there.

She will come away when told but if she thnks you arent paying attention she goes right back.

If she cant get to the fence, then it is this one piece of grass. She has to chew on it everytime she gets near it.

The fence particularly, will be to the detriment of going to the toilet (the reason she is out there). I have to call her away to go toilet.

She will run round and do other things, but she always ends up back at that same spot.

It's not really a problem because apart from that once, th eother dog is never there, I just find it kinda funny.

Other obsessions she has had, or still sometimes has are, reflections in shop windows (not th emirror though - weird as). If you walk her past a window and she sees herself in it, she goes apeshit. I initially thought it was because she though it was another dog so I would let her go and sniff her reflection, but no, I think she just likes going apeshit in shop windows. And, you only have to walk past it once and it is etched in her memory forever and the next time you go past (even months later) she will know when that window is coming up and pull to get there (she does this for houses with dogs in to after walking past once).

She is obsessed with mice, despite having never ever caught one. We had a mous einfestation for a while at our last house and she saw one and went for it but it went behind soemthing. After that all you had to say was "wheres the mousey" and she owuld go to that spot for like 20 minutes trying to get it. Even now, if we say wheres th emousey, she goes immediately to the same piece of furniture LOL

She chases flies to the point of obsession rather than just snapping at them like other dogs. She fully throws herself round th ehouse after them and will do it until the fly is actually gone. She never stops of her own accord.

She is an obsessive little freak, just seems to move from obsession to obsession and sometimes phasing through each of them....but man shes cute LOL

Anyone else got any obsessors?

What a classic.. Bet she keeps you in stiches, what breed is she?

I have a boy obsessed with lizards, when he's out for a wee at night instead of weeing, he checking out every crevise on the walls of house looking for lizards... Always, he never gets them but is always hopeful.
    The greatness of a nation can be judged by the way its animals are treated.
    Mohandas Gandhi

We have mice in the barn...My fault, I used it as a reward when i was training Tessa to climb and do ladders..LOL.......Didn't want to use food, so used where is the mouse.

Anyway, both her and the two newfie girls are good at catching mice. Poor Lukey, he stands there looking dumb, what mouse, what are you doing
    Pets are forever

I've got one lol. Harley gets really obsessive with a certain tennis ball. I don't no what it is but he will chew and destroy imposters and he will play with " Ballie" for hours alone. It often rolls under the gate and he will sit and stare and bark at it until someone tosses it back over for him. He and lily also have the habit of chewing anything whatsoever that enters their yard. Including newspaper shoes imposter tennis balls or other toys that do not meet his standards. They even once chewed up a bag that had their own crap in it wtf. Lily loves to hate cats and gets so worked up at the sight of our Neighbours cat spraying on our front yard she spins in circles then bites Harley cos she is so excited and frustrated once a cat was in our yard when we had taken the dogs for a drive and it was a very close call for the cat when we got home. I'm so glad they didn't catch it and can't imagine what they would have done if they did.
    Tessa has to get her schmako before bed every night andif I forget or run out she is far from impressed and barks at me until I give in. Also she refuses to be outside for any longer than she has to be and will put her bark on repeat for as long as it takes until we let her in.

Haha Bella licking! :P and at the moment toilet paper, the toilet brush and rays socks! Harley is ball obsessed. He also get a bit caught up in chasing an invisible bug in bushes!

There is no psychiatrist in the world like a puppy licking your face.

Actually she is hilarious but she is also quite a handful. She would be the most difficult dog we have ever owned.

Shes an absolute sweety, but shes very smart and cunning and its only recently (shes coming up 3) that she has started pulling her head in in regards to doing what she is told. Before that, unless there was some major benefit coming her way (and it had to be spectacular) she would only do something if it was somethng she wanted to do.

One example is her recall, which used to be terrible even inside the house (most dogs if they are asked to come in th elounge do it immediately but not her) and now its almost 100%. I can can call her away from the obsessive fence and she will come right away (whether she stays or not is another matter but she will come). And also the other day, they got out th gate because they thought we were going for a walk and they would meet us out the front (the thing holding the bottom of the gate shut wasnt strong enough and Barney just broke it), anyway, they had been out there for a couple of minutes and I went out the back, and I couldnt see either of them so I went through the gate and said "come here" and about 2 seconds later she came tearing down the drive way. I couldnt see her, Id have thought she would be down the road. I expected Barney to come and that I would have to go looking for her, but she came immediately - 6 months ago, I would have had to chase her down the street (which is why she is not left alone in the back yard for long periods and if she has to be, she id tied up - we still havent done our run).

Anyway, all that rabbiting on just to say, she is a fantastic wee dog, but can be quite a hard one at times. She is hilarious though as a result and I would say on average, we spend a good half hour each night pissing ourselves at her.

She is a foxy/shih tzu x....love of my life I think LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Lala View Post
    Actually she is hilarious but she is also quite a handful. She would be the most difficult dog we have ever owned.

Shes an absolute sweety, but shes very smart and cunning and its only recently (shes coming up 3) that she has started pulling her head in in regards to doing what she is told. Before that, unless there was some major benefit coming her way (and it had to be spectacular) she would only do something if it was somethng she wanted to do.

One example is her recall, which used to be terrible even inside the house (most dogs if they are asked to come in th elounge do it immediately but not her) and now its almost 100%. I can can call her away from the obsessive fence and she will come right away (whether she stays or not is another matter but she will come). And also the other day, they got out th gate because they thought we were going for a walk and they would meet us out the front (the thing holding the bottom of the gate shut wasnt strong enough and Barney just broke it), anyway, they had been out there for a couple of minutes and I went out the back, and I couldnt see either of them so I went through the gate and said "come here" and about 2 seconds later she came tearing down the drive way. I couldnt see her, Id have thought she would be down the road. I expected Barney to come and that I would have to go looking for her, but she came immediately - 6 months ago, I would have had to chase her down the street (which is why she is not left alone in the back yard for long periods and if she has to be, she id tied up - we still havent done our run).

Anyway, all that rabbiting on just to say, she is a fantastic wee dog, but can be quite a hard one at times. She is hilarious though as a result and I would say on average, we spend a good half hour each night pissing ourselves at her.

She is a foxy/shih tzu x....love of my life I think LOL
    Whoops I meant to quote cavQLD here

Any newfs want to come and visit me lol. Having mouse dramas at the moment. Can't lay bait incase the dogs catch a poisoned one and the little buggers keep on coming. Got 3 last night alone. Tessa used to play get the mouse before when her hearing and eyes were good I am picturing her behind the tv lol on a hunt. She used to be really good but would leave a trail of destruction behind her knocking everything over I can imagine the mess Harley and lily would leave behind searching.

Pippi would make a massive mess too and she is tiny lol.

I used to have this dog Lennox. He was obsessed with fetch. Literally he owuld contnue to fetc the ball for as long as you would throw it,,,and he wuld play, until his feet bleed (this happened a couple fo times). And he was very fussy about where he put the ball. He had to put it in your hand and if it fell out, he would pick it up and put it there.

I do remember our German Shepard when I was a teenager being a bit like that. If he had seen a cat hiding under a car, he would get all exited and look for it when we passed that exact spot for weeks, sometimes months after. Amazing memory.

Thread Information