I am new to dog ownership, having owned only cats for the last 18 years or so. We adopted a little bitser dog about 8 weeks ago. I've never been particularly into dogs but I saw this little guy's deep brown eyes and just fell head over heels. He's lovely and we wished we'd known him for his whole life. He's about 5ish.
About 2 weeks ago he got a sore eye - a scrape on his cornea. Took him straight to the vet and it was thought to be a small cut and he got drops/ointment/pain killers etc... with the expectation it'd heal in just a couple of days. Well, 2 weeks on and 4 trips back to check it and a couple of hundred dollars later it's no worse and no better. It is now officially called an Indolet Corneal Ulcer.
Vet tells me option 1 is to wait longer and see if it heals but they don't think this will happen.
Option 2 is a procedure they can do which is $300-400, will likely work, but for 7-10 days they'll have no way of knowing if it's getting better or worse.
Option 3 they call the "gold standard" and it involves a visit to the Vet Opthalmologist with a consult of $160 and a procedure of $1600-$1800. I rang the Vet Specialist clinic to find out about it and the nurse went and spoke to the actual Opthal... the message came back that the procedure isn't always necessary, but she wouldn't know until they'd seen him. Fair enough, but then it made we wonder about the necessity of it as recommended by the normal vet.
I can't work out what to do. That is all the info I have to make the decision. How do I know if he needs the gold standard version? Am I being cheap leaning towards option 2? My feeling of responsibility to my little mate, and the fact that we LOVE him to bits makes me want to get him the best possible treatment, but is it possible they just told me about option 3 to make the price of option 2 look ok? A family member is about to have human surgery and I'm expecting a few thousand in bills real soon so I need to make a rational and preferably economical decision. Is that fact making me cynical about their motives?
No idea what to do. I don't imagine any of you out there have the magic answer for me, but I'm all in a quandry so thought I'd post and see if anyone has any wise words. I am currently wishing that this afternoon's check up appointment will show that it's finally healing. That would make it all better. :-(