Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Bones are bad for dogs.??

I think Banjo might have buried her cow hooves, because they mysteriously disappeared...

And just after I read this post I went to get a drink in the kitchen and watched her through the kitchen window dig up two bones and bring them to her bed in the garage one at a time. She gave them a good shake and then dug in. Yuk!

But so much better than dead fish, Sean! I hate that smell...

The all you can eat takeaway buffet.

006.jpg

Any posts made under the name of Di_dee1 one can be used by anyone as I do not give a rats.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean View Post
    Could it be more of a issue with smaller breeds than larger ??

I can only get my hands on briskets or the marrow bones....butchers just dont want to sell anything else to me......I've seen Newfsie feed her dogs some giant looking shank type bones.....might have to look harder for somthing like those.

We only give Mojo a half marrow bone every 2 weeks or so and briskets are every other day. Chicken necks nearly every night but he dosnt really chew them so i cut them into 3rds. I'm sure they dont even touch the sides LOL..

Now i'm wondering if i could test my dogs saliva using my aquarium ph test kits.... makes sense what C.L mentioned about the saliva acidity.
    Sean I feed any bone and I feed bones daily....I think that is why I do not have problems. My dogs are used to bones and handle them well. If the bones are too big or hard, mine just leave them. they know there will be another in a few hours.

Bones are quite natural for dogs....I do not feed as many weight bearing bones. Mine only get them now and then. And I throw them after a couple of days, so they do not break their teeth on the shaft. Dried bones are the worst for causing tooth damage. But hey, some dogs do not get bones and end up chewing stuff that can cause all sorts of other trouble. My dogs do not dig or chew where they are not allowed. And I think that is because they get so many bones. I have had lots of dogs owned by me since the seventies all got ones, never any tooth damage, except one Rescue had problems pre-us.
    We go to vet and they all say how good our dogs teeth are, even the old kelpies at 16+ had great teeth........Actually Annabelle did chip a tooth, she did it on a rock
    I love spines and brisket bones best and all the small animal bones........I am no vet, but I find many vets do not really deal that well with the feeding of dogs.

And my dogs just love the carp they find on the beaches at Lake Hume..........We scan as soon as we get out of the car. I also hate the smell
    Last edited by newfsie; 03-09-2012 at 09:18 PM.
    Pets are forever

LOl I dont know if they dont chew or dig where they arent allowed because they get so many bones.

My dogs dont get many bones at all (like I said earlier, apart from chicken necks and frames - and the odd big bone which hasnt been round for a couple of years. Granted, we used to buy a lot of bones when we were in NZ, and we are about due some) neither of mine dig or chew anything they arent allowed. Barney doesnt chew anything...ever (though he was a shocker for it as a baby) and Pippi only chew her toys. She was a bit of a digger as a youngster but she has grown out of it.

I just think it depends on the dogs.

My guys both have perfect teeth (not even a speck of plaque) but my old girl Chevy had terrible teeth and she got bones on a regular basis. But, it wasnt the bones that ruined her teeth, she was obsessed with rocks and if we went to the river or the beach, she would find a rock and carry it with her the whole time lol.

I think bones can be good for stopping some dogs chewing, or helping to, but I dont think that would be the only reason they wouldnt chew ifykwim.

Quote Originally Posted by Di_dee1 View Post
    The all you can eat takeaway buffet.
    Reminds me of my yard LOL with the bones strewn around.

I deal with a lot of dogs in training...many are problem dogs. I always put bones or chew toys as a diversion and have had really good result with all of those dogs. Especially puppies and young adults. It solves quite a few behaviour issues.....Adult dogs tend to chew out of frustration, boredom or just the fact no-one spends any time with them. So if you can help with stopping some or all of those. Chewing/digging will reduce. Puppies need to chew, because they are teething and it is good for them, let them.......

I still think the over-riding reason for giving a dog a bone.......it is the sheer joy for the dog, they love chewing a bone. And I enjoy watching them enjoy it
    With large breeds, the small chicken necks are more of an issue. you have to look at the dog and size it up and recommend the bones for the dog. I can tell you now, that a young puppy can come to no harm, with a huge femur from a bullock.......... But a greedy mastiff type youngster may come to harm with chicken necks, when it tries to swallow them whole.

We all just have to take each dog as an individual. And allow what suits. Watch and observe..........
    Pets are forever

Thread Information