Thread: Howling & crying when outside.

Default Howling & crying when outside.

My little man has been with us over a week now. I'm having problems with him being outside on his own. I'm lucky enough to work from home but still have to drop kids at school & occasionally leave the house but i can't leave him alone inside when i do that.
    Outside i've set a bed up for him in our laundry which is fully closed in so he has somewhere to 'relax' & we have a HUGE secure backyard with lots of toys for him to play with so he doesn't get bored.
    From the second i put him outside he starts 'crying' & howling. I wanted to see how long he did it for so i put him outside while i was home & it went on for over an hour >.< That's when i gave in and let him inside so he didn't drive my neighbours crazy.
    Is there anything i can do to stop this?? I don't want to have to worry about him every time i need to go out.

It's like with kids. If you give in, you're just teaching him that his method works. And if you give in after a full hour, he will learn from that that it takes an hour of crying to get you to open the door, but I'm sure he thinks it's worth it.

The idea is to only let him in when he stops whining. I know that must be really hard when he is so persistent and you may need to find a way to distract him for a little while so you can let him back in when he is still quiet. Also, lots of play outside with him and getting really exited about going into the backyard so he starts associating it with good feelings.

Thanks Beloz My toddler, me & Boss spend most of the day outside playing so hopefully he gets the outside = fun idea soon. I will leave him for longer outside alone today while i am home & my neighbours are at work

Melbourne VIC

Another good way is to put him outside, close the door and immediately open it before he gets a chance to start whining. Then let him inside. Rinse and repeat :P after a few goes of this in a day, he will realise that you will open the door so he shouldn't fret. That's when you slowly start to increase the time the door is closed. From one second to two seconds to five seconds and so on. Don't do this to quickly as it may give him a chance to whine.

In terms of leaving to take the kids to school, can he go too or have you crate trained him so he could stay in his crate inside for a few mins while you're out? This would be a benefit as putting him outside once you started my suggested method may wreck the progress and you'd have to start back at one second.

Also, try wearing him out prior to putting him outside, then he'll just want to go to sleep inside of having energy to cry for an hour

I am having the same issues with my 12 week old puppy (although she finally seems to have gotten over it for the most part, which is much better than what I had with Sammy...) Mind you with Sammy we were living in a terrace in Woollahra so I couldn't just let him cry it out because of the neighbours, whereas now I live on a 1/4 acre block and know my neighbours well so it's all good. But the other day whilst I was at dog training, and Zoe was carrying on whilst Sammy and I were trying to work as she'd been left alone in the car, the head trainer said to me that the best dogs are those that really want to be with you (for working and training anyway). As puppies, it's just a big thing for them when their pack leaves them.

Thing is, I can hear that the tone of crying has changed, it used to be a desperate howl - she thought she was in grave danger and panicked - I waited for the 3 seconds she was distracted by a bird or something and let her back in then. Now it's a 'ohh I'm so sad, I've been left alone and it's not fair and I know they'll come back eventually but I want attention now' cry. A lot of people will probably disagree with me, but on the advice of my trainer I correct this. She will go on for hours if left unattended - I've tried, she gets right into it and just enjoys her little tantrum and at 15kg at only 12 weeks, well she has a fantastic set of lungs. If I go over and make it clear I don't agree with the behaviour, within 2-5 minutes, she's doing something more constructive - playing with a toy etc or asleep. It's the same as sometimes she's over-tired and doesn't know it and starts playing up - attacking the cat, annoying Sammy etc. I tell her enough in a firm voice, tell her to lie down, and she goes to sleep and is back to her usual lovely self again when she wakes up. They're just babies, and sometimes they get caught up in the moment and need some guidance.

But at 8 weeks it's probably still the desperate I'm scared and vulnerable cry in which case you never know, he may grow out of it as he gets older by himself and I like the pawfectionist's tips for that.

ETA: it's also once the puppy has been with you for a while, and feels safe in the knowledge that yes he's lost his first family, but you're here to stay and he will be looked after. Once they realise that, the crying either stops, or changes into something else.
    Last edited by 99bottles; 02-06-2012 at 02:22 PM.

SE QLD

I use to slip out so that my two didn't even know I was gone. I'd leave a radio on for them while I was gone for the noise and the people talking and feed them/give them bones as I was about to walk out the door. That way they are busy eating and don't even notice I am not there. Treat balls were also good, but Bella worked these out quick and the treats would be gone fast as! lol

Once the realise you aren't gone forever and that sometimes you leaving is a good thing - means nommy foods! They get over the crying! lol

There is no psychiatrist in the world like a puppy licking your face.

Southern NSW

You are going to have to train your puppy slowly to get used to being is very important to teach puppies alone time. And you start by doing it when you are home, for short periods in a safe place, initially sothat they can still see you. from that to where they can still hear you and over to out of sight short periods to longer and longer. i am a firm believer in giving a chew toy with food or a brisket bone during these training times.
    Even when you are home, your dog should get alone time...if you always have your puppy by your side they get anxious (not all dogs, but some) when you leave. get them to where they are happy to go to the safe place or crate happily when you are home and it will be easy when you leave for work or shopping in the future.
    Pets are forever

Sunshine Coast

We just leave Oskar inside now but he is a bit older. I know they say not to give in, but it is so hard to say no to those big puppy dog eyes! It is like teaching a child, sometimes we just have to ignore the cute little buggers.

Rural NSW

Be aware too that you have only had the pup for a week. He has been taken from everything he has known, the security he felt and suddenly plunged into this scary new situation. He needs time to to settle in.

Any posts made under the name of Di_dee1 one can be used by anyone as I do not give a rats.

Thanks for the replies He is much better now after spending some time working on his alone time. I gradually made the time he was outside for longer & rewarded him for not crying. Now he doesn't whine anymore, didn't take too long :-) I will Defenitly be taking him with me to drop off and pick up my son from school but because he's only 11 weeks he hasn't had his 12 week vaccinations yet so I'm not taking him out. Thanks again

Thread Information