Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Worming?

Found this info on dog tapeworms for you.

Also plenty of info on all the other tapeworm varieties, hydatids are covered also, it shows the lifecycle and how they are transmitted etc.

WormLearn Tapeworms

Dipylidium caninum - The Dog Tapeworm

One of the more common parasites of domestic dogs is the tapeworm Dipylidium caninum (DIE-pill-ID-ee-um kay-NINE-um). This parasite grows to around 10-15cm, with individual segments resembling cucumber seeds in size and shape. The intermediate host for dog tapeworms are the dog and cat fleas Ctenocephalides canis (TEN-oh-KEFF-ah-LIE-dees KAY-niss) and Ctenocephalides felis (FEEL-iss). The eggs passed out in the dog's faeces are eaten by the larval stage of the flea, and the immature tapeworm stays with the flea through its metamorphosis to the blood-sucking adult. When the flea bites, the dog may bite at the flea and swallow the larval tapeworm. In heavily infested dogs, their mouths may harbour many of the parasites in the bodies of fleas removed during grooming.

The segments of Dipylidium are capable of limited movement, and if this happens in the dog's rectum or anus, it causes intense itching. Afflicted dogs may be observed to "scoot" or drag their backsides along the ground to relive the itching. This, of course helps to crush the segments and release the eggs into the environment.

If humans swallow infected fleas, they too may become infected. This is easier than it sounds. Allowing the dog to lick your mouth may transfer the larval tapeworms to your mouth, while crushing the fleas between your fingernails spreads the parasites across your hands. Children are particularly prone to infection with Dipylidium. Like other flatworms, this tapeworm is not affected by routine dog worming treatments (ie. those directed against the intestinal nematodes like roundworm, whipworm or hookworm). Instead, dogs should be routinely wormed with a broad spectrum anthelmintic - one which has been shown to be effective against tapeworms.
    If you find yourself going through hell; Don't stay. Just keep on going.

I've been giving my two advocate aswell I was getting the 3 monthly tapeworm tablets from the vets as well but stopped this quite some time ago. My vet seemed to think it was quite unlikely for tapeworm to be around in my area. He said it's more of a problem in rural areas.

I'm a bit sick of the spot on treatment though. It's gone up in price and my two seem to rub most of it off on me! I'm going to switch to sentinel spectrum (which i believe covers everything) after my advocate runs out. Chews will be much more convenient.

Somewhere between here and there

My mums dog got Hydatid tapeworm while living in inner Sydney (we assumed from another dog at the park who was the original problem as several dogs ended up being infested and all used that park) so please don't ever assume that you are safe, always worth checking with a local vet or using preventative measures like worming, considering the results of an infestation in humans from contact is very traumatic in most cases it goes unnoticed for years......... ewww gross things they are I nearly puked when I was reading the last paragraph from the DPI below .

Info from Hydatids - A Disease of Dogs that Affects People - Department of Primary Industries

The hydatid tapeworm (Echinococcus granulosis) is one of seven tapeworms known to infect dogs in Australia. The lifecycle of this parasite can involve a number of animals, including humans, but the most important species involved are sheep, kangaroos and dogs. Hydatid disease is diagnosed in tens of humans every year.

The hydatid tapeworm lifecycle requires two host animals for its survival.
    Hydatids occur as a small tapeworm in the intestine of dogs or dingoes and to a lesser extent in foxes. These are known as definitive hosts.
    Hydatids also occur as watery cysts in the soft tissues of sheep, cattle, pigs, kangaroos, wallabies and occasionally man. These are known as intermediate hosts. Rabbits do not act as intermediate hosts for true hydatids (Echinococcus granulosis). In humans, hydatid cysts can cause serious illness and even death.

The hydatid tapeworm in dogs is only about 6mm long, and consists of very small segments. The last segment carries the mature tapeworm eggs. Heavily infested dogs or dingoes may pass many millions of eggs in their faeces each year. One dingo caught near Mt Buller had 108,000 hydatid tape worms throughout its intestines but was otherwise healthy.
    ALL kittens are devil spawn wrapped in cuteness!

South Australia

my dog gets wormed same time as the horse.. so every 3 months, never had a problem with her being "wormy" ..i think she looks forward to the "meaty treat" she gets treated much more frequently during spring and summer as we have a BYB next door who doesn't treat his dogs so ours get more frequent wormings when he brings his dogs home.

In Adelaide - we have foxes in nearly every suburb. They are especially common along Linear park, along the creek side parks eg Brown Hill Creek, Onkaparinga, Little Para River etc. And around our beach suburbs. A friend in Alberton lost a lot of chooks to a fox despite having very high fences.

Foxes can bring tape worm. So can visiting and untreated farm dogs tho that is less likely. But some people never get their dogs wormed or vaccinated - which is why we keep getting outbreaks.

You also need to treat for heart worm. Because we have mozzies here.

So if you never take your dog for a walk where it can sniff everywhere, then maybe no problem - if your yard is fox proof and cat proof etc.

Otherwise - regular worming seems to be the go.

Puggerup. If your child learns to wipe from front to back - that particular problem reduces. More TMI?

Thread Information