Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11

Thread: Is my dog sick or depressed?

  1. #1

    Default Is my dog sick or depressed?

    I am at my wits end here! My Bodhi has never been a fantastic eater, would rather have pats than eat and it always seems like a chore for him to eat. Now he is just about not eating at all! This has been going on now for 2 weeks since I moved away from my sisters place and I thought maybe he was pining for his mate Rusty but its not like he's lacking attention, there are 5 people lavishing him with love and cuddles and its just getting worse. I took him to the vets in the first week because he vomited once and I started to get very worried and she said he could have picked up a gastro bug. He is not vomiting now and will drink water but I cannot make him eat anything more than a few morsels. He still goes for walks and runs – don’t know where he gets the energy – and still looks perky when he does walk/run!!! I have tried everything from fresh chicken and lamb to boiled chicken and cooked lamb and chicken soup and kangaroo and fresh mince - nothing - if I try to hand feed him he eats maybe 2 small pieces then drops any more I attempt to give him. He has started doing the strangest thing with his nose when I put food down in front of him. He gets his nose and pushes it along the ground towards the bowl and pushes his nose down the edges of the bowl - I've seen him in the past use his nose to dig up dirt and grass to cover bones up - and its this same action, he then eats maybe 2 small pieces and walks away and lies down - he sleeps lots too. Ive tried not hand feeding him at all and just leaving food for him but he does not touch it, I have persevered for 2 days but then I give in and hand feed him the pathetic small pieces he takes. He is 3 years old and a big boy Ridgeback X Mastiff (we think) and has always been lean but he is now looking quite skinny. I am taking him back to the vets tomorrow for xrays - incase there is something internal the vet hasn’t picked up (he is pooing so I wouldn’t think its a blockage).

    Has anyone had anything like this? Could he really be missing his mate and depressed? Or has anyone had something like this and it turned out to be worse internally?? Does anyone have any suggestions for me, I am really struggling here (

    Thank you,
    Bodhi's mum

  2. #2

    Default

    Some dogs will only eat if the food is at threat of been eaten by someone else. My dog used to be the same. What I do now is I give her 10 minutes with her food and if she doesn't eat it I take it away. She didn't take long to realise she now has a time limit or she goes hungry until the next day. If I leave the food out all day she will just guard it.
    She also now shares her dinner with the cat lol
    I think the vet check is a good idea too just incase there is something more going on.

  3. #3

    Default

    I get the feeling you have only left food sitting out recently to see if your dog would eat it? Previously you would just take it away if not eaten? You seem to have tried everything.

    I would be concerned about possibly being sick, ask your vet to preform a full blood panel and probably a urinalysis as well.

    It could possible be the loss of his doggy mate. I have seen dogs in double dog households lose mates (usually due to death) and have this exact same reaction.
    Could you get them together for a play date or have your sisters dog sleep over and try to feed Bodhi then? If he eats fine with his mate around then it is almost certain that the issue is the loss of his friend.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Southern NSW
    Posts
    3,685

    Default

    It could be depression from missing his mate. but I would first make 100% sure that it is not due to being sick. Especially being a large chested breed.....Som form of Colic comes to mind, which can lead to bloat. In very rare cases this can start slow. Before the critical bloat.....Which is often fatal if not attended to soon
    Pets are forever

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    se qld
    Posts
    836

    Default

    Pancreatitis?
    Do the other people in the house give him human food/treats?
    Just thinking out loud here.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Southern NSW
    Posts
    3,685

    Default

    Pancreatitis is a could be, but all the ones i have seen have still been very hungry...Spewy and sick, but still eat........Not eating really sounds like blockage
    Pets are forever

  7. #7

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by puggerup View Post
    Some dogs will only eat if the food is at threat of been eaten by someone else. My dog used to be the same. What I do now is I give her 10 minutes with her food and if she doesn't eat it I take it away. She didn't take long to realise she now has a time limit or she goes hungry until the next day. If I leave the food out all day she will just guard it.
    She also now shares her dinner with the cat lol
    I think the vet check is a good idea too just incase there is something more going on.
    No, I have tried taking the food away till next day the thing is I cant give him 10 minutes with his food cause he is not with his food, he literally walks away and does not go anywhere near it. He always had the threat of his food being eaten by Rusty but it didnt make him eat it all (this is when he actually was eating something) he was quite happy to let him eat it.

  8. #8

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by chubbsecurity View Post
    Pancreatitis?
    Do the other people in the house give him human food/treats?
    Just thinking out loud here.
    He had been getting treats earlier last week and human food just so we could get something in him, but I put a stop to that, funnily enough though he would only taste a piece or 2 and was not interested.

  9. #9

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by newfsie View Post
    It could be depression from missing his mate. but I would first make 100% sure that it is not due to being sick. Especially being a large chested breed.....Som form of Colic comes to mind, which can lead to bloat. In very rare cases this can start slow. Before the critical bloat.....Which is often fatal if not attended to soon
    I didnt know anything about bloating? Why would my vet not have mentioned the possibility? Definitely going to the vets, thanks.

  10. #10

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Keira & Phoenix View Post
    I get the feeling you have only left food sitting out recently to see if your dog would eat it? Previously you would just take it away if not eaten? You seem to have tried everything.

    I would be concerned about possibly being sick, ask your vet to preform a full blood panel and probably a urinalysis as well.

    It could possible be the loss of his doggy mate. I have seen dogs in double dog households lose mates (usually due to death) and have this exact same reaction.
    Could you get them together for a play date or have your sisters dog sleep over and try to feed Bodhi then? If he eats fine with his mate around then it is almost certain that the issue is the loss of his friend.
    Unfortunately we now live close to 3 hours drive away so its not possible to do this regularly but I will try and get Rusty over for a weekend and test the theory. Definitely going to vets as all is not well.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •