Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Pugs??

About the same. Check with breeders, but I have a niggling thought that blacks maybe shed slightly less?

The black one we had for a while was a ball of energy! She drove our big hounds nuts, never sat still. But an adorable clown.

Southern NSW

Quote Originally Posted by elle.burns View Post
    Do they shed more than Labradors do you think?

I don't really think so....All the ones i know are great little characters with so much personality. Mind you all have very good owners, very involved with them. I think you can find barkers in most breeds. Teach the dog that alone time is good even if you are home. Some people spend too much time with their dog when they are home and the dogs do not cope alone, hence barking and such. I also like to teach chew toys from day one. which equals time alone too. Put the dog in a quiet area (could be crate) with the chew toy filled with goodies....Personally I use bones and brisket bones for puppies. But some people hate bones, hence I recommend chew toys.
    Getting a dog used to being by itself when you are home or away gets rid of a lot barking and such.....In any breed......I think we often make our dogs too reliant on us.
    Pets are forever

I think shedding is similar to labs, obviously on a smaller scale tough...

Possibly the reputation for yapping could be lack of stimulation? These are busy, happy, people oriented dogs. They are not sole, backyard dwellers. I can imagine in that so of situation they could indeed be yappy (am not remotely saying this is what you brother had planned elle!)

Don't be fooled by their size.. a fawn pug will shed on a much larger scale than a large breed dog.. especially because of their thick double coat.

I am going to take a risk and comment here. Pugs are often very nice little dogs. But I do object to the breeding of the face and breathing apparatus, that causes overheating, snuffling and what looks suspiciously like a lot of difficulty breathing, on any pug I have seen. This can be exacerbated by air tract diseases, which they seem more prone to than a dog with a clearer airway. Having seen a pug that looked as if it was taking its last breathe and having to work for it, I read around a bit and there was a lot of talk about respiratory tract infections.

So while they may be cute, I feel that cuteness should not justify a lifetime of discomfort. There is a lot more to a dog than how it looks.
    Nick Peg n Benny (or is it Peg n Benny n Nick?)

(nTess, forever in my heart)

Hence the imperative of finding a good breeder. Careful breeding allows pugs to be as active as they like, without their breathing being affected by their looks.

Pugs are a popular breed who are unfortunately breed in numbers for pet markets, also for cross breeding which does not necessarily improve upon what is usually an unhealthy individual.

Pet pugs also put on weight very easily as they are keen eaters, again a bit like labs!

I see pugs every weekend at dog shows, and they strut their stuff no matter how many laps of the ring they are doing, and in warm weather as well as cool. They are muscular and active little dogs.

I have seen first hand pugs with breathing difficulties, but they are certainly not all pugs.

Short little pug hairs stick in everything! (A bit like my dogs hair). Short dog hair is a nightmare LOL!
    Definitely get a good vacuum cleaner. There is a specific dog and cat one that my friend swears by (she has a Bull Terrier which are pretty big shedders - again short spikey hair).

I am not able by far to comment on whether there are pugs that are bred for easy breathing. It's just that although I have seen better and worse ones, I have never seen one breathe really easily, in my 50 years of owning dogs and interacting with others. I have to admit that I may have seen only ....20-30 (?) pugs in that time.

Based on what I have seen of them, and my reading of the emphasis on respiratory disease, I am bothered by the breed.
    Nick Peg n Benny (or is it Peg n Benny n Nick?)

(nTess, forever in my heart)

Yeah I've done a bit of research and they are prone to breathing difficulties but I guess all pure bred dogs have their hereditary problems that's why (as said above) finding a great breeder who does thorough health screening will be my bro's number one priority, I've passed on the names of those breeders recommended so thanks heaps guys

Thread Information