Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help with picking a breed needed :)

Default Help with picking a breed needed :)

Hi everyone,

I have discovered this forum in the process of googling "pugalier puppies for sale". Eeek I have learned so much! I had no idea these puppy mills even existed! Obvioulsy now I am re-evaluating my puppy plans but am a bit lost as what to do next.

We lost our beaustiful labrador Bella this month after 10 years in our family She was very much a member of the family and my 2 year old is devestated. I am in no way looking at replacing her as it would simply be not possible to do so. In fact our circumstances have changed drastically since so another labador would not be suitable anyway.

So my question is can anyone suggest any breeds that would be suitable and if so can you recommend reputable breeders? I live in northern NSW so as close as possible would be best.

A bit about our circumstances and "wants" for lack of a better word:

I am a stay at home mum so there will usually be someone home all the time.
    We would prefer a smaller dog suitable to be indoors much of the time.
    We live in a duplex with a small, well secured back yard.
    I have a 2 year old so must be good with kids, somewhat robust (lol) but gentle.
    I love the look of the pug x cavalier.
    More than happy to adopt/rescue but have no idea how to go about this or if there is a possibility of this locally.
    My husband and I love pugs - how common and what are the health probs associaited with them and would they be suitable.

Any help would be greatly appreciated and please forgive my lack of knowledge in this area. Please be assured we LOVE any animals that we bring into our home and do our best to do everything we can to keep them happy and healthy

Oh and I should add we don'd need (or want for that matter) a puppy/dog untill later this year. Just being prepared lol

SE QLD

Sorry to hear about the loss of you dog and welcome to the forum! Why not get either a pure bred cavalier or pug?

There is no psychiatrist in the world like a puppy licking your face.

I'm glad you stumbled on the puppy mill info and well now avoid them.

I cannot answer many of your questions. In fact, I can only answer one. If you would consider a rescue, the vast majority of them well be advertised on the PetRescue - find your new best friend! site. You can use the search to filter the listings. It takes quite a while to go through them. You can also set up an email alert to get notified of new listings.

Typing on the phone is annoying, so I'll leave it there.

I really LOVE pug's but unsure of whether they would be suitable for us and how big the risk of health problems really is. I guess I am a bit nervous now and unsure of how accurate info on the net is. Thought it would be best to get some info from REAL people who have experience with these dogs instead of so called experts like Don Burke (who recommended the "breed" pugalier in the first place).

Logan, Brisbane QLD

i don't have any experience with pugs, all i know is the lot that come to our local off-leash park are hyperactive! I honestly never knew they were so energetic until i met one i just assumed they were placid but boy was i wrong! lovely dog's though full of character I do agree with Beloz, try PetRescue or even google pug rescue NSW
    Last edited by Kuri_89; 01-03-2012 at 10:37 PM.

Sorry to hear about your Lab, it's always hard to lose a family member and you are definitely doing the right thing by waiting and researching your next breed first.

A well bred pug has less health risk than a poorly bred 'pugalier' so don't fret about general health. Any dog has the potential to be unhealthy, it's the breeder and how they go about breeding the dogs that counts. Yes, some breeds are prone to problems, but a good breeder will do everything to ensure those problems aren't passed on to the pups.

Have you looked on Dogzonline? Here's a link to Pug breeders: Pug Breeders, Australia

The important thing is to do your homework on the breeder. Make sure you look at their dogs, ask about what health tests they perform... Any questions you have they should be happy to answer... If they don't then skip them and move onto the next one.

And here is a fantastic article on what to look for when buying a puppy and how to select a breeder: Buying a Pug Puppy

A friend of mine breeds pugs here in Tasmania and I show them on occasion for her, absolutely gorgeous dogs and certainly hardy. She has a young grandaughter who stays with her often and the dogs all just adore her.

Rural Western Australia

Yes take your time. A new dog is an investment for its life. I would check out rescues and also good breeders as Crested advises. A friend of mine has a Cavalier and he is totally adorable. She does agility with him but he is also a healthy, sweet, smart and mellow little dog.

Hi and welcome.

So sorry to hear about your Lab.

When you say you love the look fof the pug x cav, is there something in particular you like? Or have you any pics that appeal to you? We might be able to suggest other breeds etc based on that if that is any help.

Have you considered a Tibetan Spaniel? Not all that well, known, but certainly around. They are generally a hardy, healthy breed and lovely family dogs - great with kids.

Sorry, hard to post pics from my ipad, but here is a google image search for them:
    tibetan spaniel - Google Search

I had a cavalier cross poodle once and it wasn't nearly as healthy as my pug or my cavalier. He had terrible skin issues from birth and he constantly stank because of it which meant no-one wanted to pat him. Someone did take a liking to him though and stole him.. that's a whole different thread.

Pug rescue will fix any health issue in their rescues before selling them. Tibetan spaniel is another great option if you like the look of the Cav, Pug Cross.

Thread Information