I thought id share my story of our always escaping Staffy, in the hope that were not the only ones sufering and maybe someone out there has a suggestion on how we might reasonablyfix this problem.
We love our little menace to bits and he just loves people - any person will do - but especially my husband (his master). We both work full time jobs and he spends all day at home alone in the back yard. Now this guy is quite the athlete, loves to run, jump, chase anything that moves .......you get the picture! We live on 3/4 acre and he has a large secure yard. He gets exercised most nights (runs up to 2km).
Over time, he has developed a knack for getting out of the yard. Visiting the neighbours is his passion! He only does this when he is alone, when we are not home. If we are home he never leaves our side.
To date we have tried the following things to stop this:
- 6 foot high timber fence (facing road) - he learnt to jump/bounce/scramble over this;
- Added steel lean off's to the top of timber fence - fixed problem for about 6mths. Has now learnt to jump higher, then scrambles over top of steel;
- Dog wire fence is around the remainder of the yard, with wire lean off's - learnt to climb this wire (ripping dew claws completely off in the process) then goes into the neighbours yard and easily gets through their fence;
- Added an electric fence strand to the perimiter fence - got shocked a few times and has now learnt to jump over the top of the fence, clearning the electrified strand all together;
- Electric collar/boundary system - he will just push through the zap pain to get to the other side (plus I really hate these collars, think they are horrible);
- He is now placed on a cable run with a chain attached - he absolutely hates this! Sooks and cries all day Last weekend he snapped that run.... Yesterday he snapped his collar.
He is desexed. Definately not getting out to see other dogs! I really dont think another dog in our yard is going to change anything with this guy, he is just not interested in other dogs. He also doesnt really go anywhere, sometimes he just hangs around the street or out the front of the house. Thankfully he is not a digger - yet!
We have been trying to relieve any anxiety he has from us leaving him by not greeting him when we come home and not making a big deal when we leave. Also have been leaving home without him for short bursts - say 15-30mins, to try and get him to realise we will come back! But its not really making any differrence.
We really dont know what to do now. Were getting rather desperate.
Someone has suggested trying hobbles on him, like what you get for horses. Then he cant run or jump.
Has anyone else had the troubles we have had? Does anyone have any suggestions on what we could possibly do next to prevent this behaviour?