Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Fleas!! I'm Going Mad!

It wasnt till i moved to Bundaberg from the Gold Coast that the Frontline eventually stopped working and even had to put down lime but like i said we are a flea hotspot for some reason. I havent seen it so bad anywhere else and it was the first time i ever had fleas in the house Maybe they did become resistant to it ? I'm not sure.

Whatever it was i just had to give up on it and try somthing else so thats why i went with my vets idea to give the comfortis a try.

I guess we traded a tick area for a flea area but i'd make that trade any day.

Quote Originally Posted by reyzor View Post
    Education is important, but big biceps are more importanter ...
    DONT SIC YOUR DOGMA ON ME !

I had the same experience with FL not working anymore. And it wasn't just me according to the vet. It was a particularly bad flea season and lots of people in the area were complaining about not being abel to get rid of them.

Now I switch between Advantage and FL, but I might get Advocate and comfortis too and get some sort of rotation going. The area under my house is sandy and a true breeding paradise for fleas. It's too low to really get under there to spread lime.

OK, so it's not resistance then, or less likely. The site I posted did say it was just a perception. Another site said that competitors had actually been trying to breed FL resistant fleas! Not, one would hope, with the idea of releasing them as the rabbit hunters used to here, but to prove it can be done.

I have lived with kangaroo ticks but not paralysis ticks. Our lot (SW WA) were just an itchy nuisance and you would get one or two any day you walked in the bush. Irritating but little more. I believe hundreds of dogs die every year from paralysis ticks; an under-publicised fact IMO. I am thinking of doing some extended travelling in Oz, and the PT thing really worries me. Poor Tess will be getting thoroughly checked every day and I _know_ she will just hate that!

re treating the environment - I squirt dishwashing liquid around the pavers lawn etc and then hose down throughly.
    The back porch also and anywhere outside that the pets hang out.
    Inside vacuum vacuum and vacuum, wash ALL linens on 7 day cycle

So far so good here.. this is my first year attempting to use no poisons.

Quote Originally Posted by Beloz View Post
    I had the same experience with FL not working anymore. And it wasn't just me according to the vet. It was a particularly bad flea season and lots of people in the area were complaining about not being abel to get rid of them.

Now I switch between Advantage and FL, but I might get Advocate and comfortis too and get some sort of rotation going. The area under my house is sandy and a true breeding paradise for fleas. It's too low to really get under there to spread lime.
    Do the dogs/cats go under there? From what I read of the life cycle, the fleas are not going to move very far from where they are dropped as eggs. Until they sense vibration they lay pretty still, even as adults, until they hope to get a feed.

I would be looking at treating any area the dogs are in frequently. If you get a "neighbourhood watch" going that would be better. If you reckon under the house _could_ be a problem, you may be stuck with getting a pro in

Everything I experienced and read about indicates the power of persistence in all of this: weekly vacuums, monthly doses (and no longer!) and one place even talked of fortnightly doses, as the strength of the stuff will kill fleas so fast they never get to lay eggs. That was for FL Plus and claimed that it was not an overdose. It is written by a vet. As it's a forum I am waiting on permission to post a link here. But the common factor in everything is to treat the whole environment: treating just the dog in a really bad infestation will be fruitless.

Nick

My old dog was under their all the time - it was her safe place, especially when I wasn't home. Banjo doesn't go there very often, the cat sometimes does. I might consider closing it off now actually.

OK. I have been told it's pretty OK to post the following link as I am not connected with it to advertise. Interesting read. Again pretty much backs up what has been said here in the thread, but helps to "legitimise" it a bit.
    Flea resistance to Frontline?

HTH

Nick

Quote Originally Posted by Beloz View Post
    My old dog was under their all the time - it was her safe place, especially when I wasn't home. Banjo doesn't go there very often, the cat sometimes does. I might consider closing it off now actually.
    Well I guess if you close it off, it will be better for the house insulation anyway . If any animal is getting under there, then yeah, not a bad idea.

Nick

I am very weary of the credibility of those claiming there is no such thing as fleas becoming resistant to FL. It's from a big company with a very large market, so they would be using all the power they have to get people to spread the gospel any way they can. Resistance to pesticides is a pretty common thing in the insect world. That first article was pretty vague on how they conducted the research that they based their conclusion on.

I'm not saying that none of it is true. I'm just saying that I would need some pretty solid proof to convince me that the resistance thing is a myth. Until then, I see no harm in switching products. At least it will reduce the risk of fleas becoming resistant in the future if they are not already.

I agree. As I said they actually market FL....so should be treated carefully. And I agree about swapping. Having farmed I know about resistance in animals and plants It's just finding what works and does not, with the risk of an outbreak if you get a dud.

I have not used FL for a while (AFAICS no need ???) so I will finish my very expensive present bottle and think about other stuff for next time.

Thread Information